• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Stephen King's The Dark Tower series

His Name Is Frank

Bluelight Crew
I would love to see this series of books adapted into film. Although,considering the length of the books,I think it would work better in a mini-series format on HBO. They could extend it on for as long as they wanted. The only way it would work in the cinema is if they went the Harry Potter route. Since Harry Potter has about 100 times larger fanbase,I really don't see any major studio investing their money into it. HBO is really the logical direction to go. Anyone else interested in Rowland the Gunslinger and the world Stephen King has created finally being brought to life?

I think the first book would make a very weird movie/film. Its been years since I read any of the books...but its prob some of the most original material
in fiction, period. That might be trumping up King (its just Stephen King, yadda yadda), the novels are definitely pulpy...but how the book manages to create this parallel universe...

a series would be great...but a film true to the original would be better. Lynch to direct!

impossible to translate to film, IMO. too many characters, too much passage of time, a larger scope than even LOTR.

a sick miniseries would be a good idea. or even a series of tv movies on hbo.

one of my favorite book series ever. good idea. i recall you bringing that up in the past in another thread, still a good one :)

I'm on the 3rd book now. "The Waste Lands" totaly weird series, but very cool to say the least.

I've actually written to HBO several times with this idea. I never got a response. So,if one day this does comes to fruition,know that they are thieving bastards.

I go back and forth on this, and I wonder if it might not work best as an animated mini series.

HisNameIsFrank said:
I've actually written to HBO several times with this idea. I never got a response. So,if one day this does comes to fruition,know that they are thieving bastards.
i got your back dude. *thumps chest with fist*

animated would be an ill way to go if they really threw some money at it and got real actors for voice talent and did a good job w/ cinematography and top quality animation.

god, i would love that. may even make me break out the old liquid lavender for one last go around... but i doubt it will ever happen.

great series. i've always like the fourth installment, "wizard & glass" the best.

of course it can be done right but only if the right amount of money is put into it, otherwise it will be crap.

anyone read the "gunslinger born" comics from marvel? stephen king was personally involved in their creation and they are pretty good... though, nowhere near as good as the actual novels.

i am a big fan of blaine the train.

i would LOVE to see this. i am a huge King fan.

I saw the comic out a few months ago. I wish I wasn't so broke so that I could buy it :(

pennywise said:
i would LOVE to see this. i am a huge King fan.

I saw the comic out a few months ago. I wish I wasn't so broke so that I could buy it :(
I have three copies of the hardback edition comic. One open and two still in the plastic.

Gunslinger was one if the first big books I've ever picked up. Also one of the best. I don't have much time for reading but it was no doubt what one would call a "page-turner" (And I was only 13 or so when I read it.)

Theres a summary of the story on wikipedia that makes it sound well worth reading the series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gunslinger

Talk to me when they finally get the eyes of the dragon or the talisman made first. If they can't even get the light darktower stuff out of development hell I don't see a chance at it. Though i'd love to see an animated "the gunslinger" and "the drawing of the three" movie and nothing else. After that the series turns to shit.

Cool, i'm gonna read this series most likely, though I read wikipedia and it has some spoilers...

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed....best series of books ever IMO. I didn't like the character of susannah though....