Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Splishy splashy - aka the wine guide

katmeow

Bluelight Crew
I'm certainly no wine snob... I generally don't spend more than $10 on a bottle of the stuff, but I've tried a few decent drops lately and it's making me reassess my decision to solely consume the cheap stuff ;)

Yes, so let's talk tasty wines!

At the moment, I'm really liking the Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc from NZ. It's got a lovely, light fruity flavour which isn't too overbearing and the aftertaste is nice too. And it goes spankingly well with cheese (which I plan to be doing later this evening).

Quaff can help you - good wines at (relatively) cheap prices. That's the first time I've looked at the website to be honest, we've bought the book the past couple of years running.

Don't ask for Oyster Bay at the bottle shop at upallnight and leecie's place. Angry blue-haired ladies don't make the wine shopping experience pleasurable.

We quite often just drink cleanskins - Vintage Cellars here has a quite good Malborough Sav Blanc for $12 or something.

My favourite at the moment is Monkey Bay sauvignon blanc.

<3 splishy splashy. Best term ever.

winehouse.jpg

One wine that ain't so fine...

nezo said:

We had some feedback about a year ago that posters felt older threads being bumped didn't often get as much traffic as new threads, so unless a topic has been covered in the last 6 or so months, we generally allow a new thread now. (Don't worry, I did know that one was there :))

works for me.

I have to stock up again on wines cause we went through so many during Xmas. Highlight would have been the Leeuwin Estate Art Series Chardonny we have on Xmas day. I'm not a big white drinker, but that was worth the effort.

Loving my wines and having a crappola memory i like to come up with rules that work for good wines.

Location and Grape:
New Zealand and Adelaide Hills: Sav Blanc
Barossa: Shiraz
Claire Valley: Riesling
Margret River: Semillon and Semillon/Sav blends
Coonawarra, Mclaren Vale: Cab sav
Rutherglen: Durif (fucking magic but completely unknown red grape/location)
Germany/France (Alcace): Sweet Rieslings/Stickys
Italian: Great weird ass shit when you want to roll the dice
France: almost everything but softly softly

Year (i only known/care about shiraz and barossa):
Every even year from 1990 to 2004, but imo 99' was exception and the best

Insanely good labels
Shiraz: Greenock creek, Ross Estate, Elderton (command series)... <memory failing now>

I went on a wine tour in the Barossa Valley last year. I still think it's all just goon, it all tastes like rubbish. Wine also makes me insane drunk, I think because it is easy to drink lots even though it has a content of 11% or thereabouts.

Towards the end of the day I was so over the tasting wine crap I just asked the lady at one of the wineries to find me a white that was refrigerated with a screw lid. Four or five bottles of wine is not a good way to start out a night. I will never be welcome in Adelaide again.

My wine recommendation?

White tastes better than red.

^ Hee hee

White wine: Quaff, yay!, fall over
Red wine: Sip, heaven!, fall over (Think of it as sampling a sauce not drinking a liquid)

banrock station - moscato

brown brothers do an AWESOME moscato for a sweet white, but i recently stumbled upon this little gem; and even though the alcohol content is pitiful; its half the price ($9 a bottle), is full of flavour and awesome with food. :D

...kytnism...:|

Oyster Bay is noice kat :) The boy is a lot more of a wine connoisseur
than i but i am learning. And apparently NZ have some of the best vineyards.

Four Sisters Sauvignon Blanc is my choice wine. Just finished a bottle :) it is lovely to drink.

I'm still drinkin my parents Pinot Noir and Tiger Blood....really should actually buy some one day. Heh.

Not a big white drinker unfortunately. I do like the Bianchet Marsanne - and I was given a Tokaj by my Mum. Sickly sweet dessert wine but it really is delicious if you have it with some biscuits or sweets of some sort.

I'm not really into wine, but if its sparkling, I can happily get it down.

I've read a few things about how even wine experts can't tell expensive wine apart from really cheap wine if they're not told what it is, and blah blah blah, which is hardly definitive evidence, but enough to help me maintain my non-interest.

In this clip Dylan Moran is kind enough to explain my general thoughts on wine.

Last edited:
But I Will Bring It Up. Constantly.

katmeow said:
We had some feed
back
about a year ago
that posters
felt older threads being
bump-bumped
didn't
often
get as much traffic
as new threads,
so unless a topic has been covered in the last 6 or so months,
we generally allow a new thread now.
(Don't worry, I did know that one was there :))

^
(That was a long sentence.)
Sure ya did....
:) <3

Does this mean you gonna get rid of
ye ol' skool BL'er thread axwell?

I don' min',
Kat,
I'm drinkin' Gin
& bein' dismay'd
at the Californian Legal/Prison System.

PEACE