• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PinholeStar

Bluelighter
Film : The Straight Story

I've just finished watching this, & wanted to get my thoughts on it down for posterity's sake, & also to see what thoughts anyone else may have.

A 1999 film by David Lynch starring Richard Farnsworth The Straight Story tells the true tale of Alvin Straight, a 73-year-old from Iowa. Alvin's brother who lives in Wisconsin suffers a stroke &, upon hearing of the news, Alvin feels compelled to make the long journey to go & see him. The two brothers haven't spoken in years however, & as Alvin's eyesight is poor & he has no driving license, he embarks upon his 6-week journey alone.......on a lawnmower.

The title of this film is particularly apt not just because it is, indeed, the story of Alvin Straight, but also because it's easily David Lynch's "straightest" film to date. There are certainly auteuristic moments, & depth & messages a-plenty, but anyone expecting the mass of intricately layered esoteric symbolism that is characteristic of his other work will be surprised here- this film has at it's heart a very simple story. The tale of a man who realises that time is running out for both he & his brother, & that the broken bridges between them must be mended, it's a gentle, heart-warming piece of film-making.

The cinematography is masterful, taking in the measured, intimate conversations between Alvin & the selection of characters he meets upon the way, & yet also presenting sweeping views of the surrounding countryside, giving the film a real sense of place.

A wonderful score by Angelo Badalamenti helps to paint the scene, & compliments the visuals perfectly.

The heart & soul of the film though, is undeniably Richard Farnsworth's career-defining Oscar-nominated performance as Alvin Straight. This was his last ever role before he committed suicide a year later, having been diagnosed with terminal cancer, & it's quite apparent that there's a great deal of Farnsworth's own character in his portrayal of a man who just wants "to make my peace with the world".

A beautifully understated performance, the pearls of wisdom that he gives out along the way are etched into his aged, weathered face, & reflected in eyes that have evidently seen pretty much everything life has to throw at them.

One of the best scenes in the film comes when Alvin trades tales from World War Two with a fellow war veteran who he's just met. The two don't know each other, & yet their similar experiences in the past form an instant bond that allows Alvin to drop his stubborn persona & reveal his inner vulnerability. His guilt of what happened in the past still racks him to this day, & serves as a reminder of the amends he must make with his estranged brother.

But, as with all great films, it's perhaps unfair to point out one scene for praise - the entire film is a touching, achingly poignant story, treated with a deft & gentle hand by Lynch.

Understandably David Lynch divides opinion, but if you haven't seen this film I implore you to do so, whether you like him or not.

I found The Straight Story to be a wonderful film that is, in my eyes, the definition of a "hidden gem".

:)

agreed on all points. i really should revisit this beautiful film again soon.

It sounds fantastic, and satisfyingly layered the way you wrote about it. I knew about it when it came out, and about its status as Lynch's only "straight" story, but I have never actually taken the time to sit down and devote my full attention to it. Without turning this into a David Lynch thread, I feel like adding that he is my favorite director by a landslide. What he creates on the screen is more than just film. I love him for what he has added to planet earth during his time here, and I wish he could live forever and continue his work.

Lynch is so capable of creating strong emotional realities when he is working with abstractions, I can only imagine what kind of feeling comes out of this very concrete story...

I need to devote a quiet evening to this film.

there are some great scenes that are trademark lynch ... cool to see his treatment of the material. although he does fumble through parts of it, resulting in kind of dry, overly sentimental moments. the performances are awesome. it's not a perfect film, but worth the time if you're really into lynch or looking for a tug on the heartstrings.