art forum discussion?

blissfulMenace

Bluelight Crew
For as long as i can remember there has been a cult following of people wanting an art forum, and this was brought back up to my attention when i noticed a new member, s1ck to be exact, mentioned there being a words but no art forum in his introduction.

So i came over here to the ol pluggin hole to see if there was any discussion amongst the moderators/admin to see if there was any discussion of this going on as mentioned.

I was surprised to find that there was none, especially since there are so many who want it.

I also read something about there once being an art forum and it was removed? I think NEW said this in the same introduction thread.

I realize prime holiday season probably isnt the best time to ask this question as traffic is low but i just wanted to know what the deal is on this, especially seeing as there is a 2d art thread that has maintained at least some strength, including the famed photography thread, a digital media thread, and im sure there is enough community to follow modern art as well.

i think an art forum would be cool actually. i've seen some work from BLers throughout the years that has been impressive, but they could only post it on a situational basis.

i'm all for it.

Would you like to have a BL Art Forum?

Last post three months ago. :\

The problem to date has been keeping the movement alive. Do a search for "art" in the thread title in Second Opinion to get an idea of how the movement gets going and then stalls, repeatedly.

Vibby and I will be looking for a third moderator shortly, to replace the irreplaceable QuestionEverything, who was quite passionate about art and would have done so much for its cause on BL should she have had the opportunity to remain, IMHO. If we can get an arts minded mod to help us out with the cause...

well i'd be down for it. i dont go into SO too much but i would actually love to see a forum for art.
as is, i have to go to deviantart and other places.
the talent some people have amazes me.

That was vaguely funny., in a non specific way :D

I think a sub art forum in SO would be a great idea and then maybe give it some time and see if it generates enough traffic to become its own forum kind of how NEMD became a forum by itself.

I'd be all for an Arts sub-forum, spork (your avatar is seriously tickling my funny bone atm
toothy.gif
), even though it would steal much of SO's current content, much like SciTech did before. I'm game, but there has to be interest first, leading to growth and development, not the other way around, IMO.

well obviously we'd clean up SO and refocus it

and the reason the steam keeps dying off is because were not doing anything with it.. i mean were building up all this energy for something to happen and then nothing happens..

people feel like its a futile effort because the mods stop mentioning anything about it and nothing ever happens. At the very least we could start with an art subforum and see if it builds; if it does we can create a full fledged forum.

the gallery sucks and is full of mostly drug photos with no real focus, the commenting system sucks, it has no potential for competitions or any real discussion.

i also feel like all the art threads that sit up top are detracting from the idea of second opinion.. i mean second opinion is for just that, second opinions, and i think photography competitions kinda fit into a grey area as far as that goes.

also it would make it a ton easier to go back and see the history of things such as the photo comp without reading everyones threads on "do my feet stink?"

it'd be awesome if they open such a forum imo. also it would be nice if the art forum looks like the gallery, easy to browse pics:) oh what if people start to send there nude pics or something lol :):)

there was an art forum, it was called visual and performing arts. it was the precursor to film and television. ask ego_loss about it ;)

Slay: of course we would moderate it in some form, nude pics are for the lounge unless they have specific artistic merit

it seems to me if visual and performing arts managed to turn into film and television that it should have split allowing visual arts to have a home themselves

on a second note if anyone wants to try this i'd be more than willing to help get it going

maybe it could be a xmas present/new years resolution to all of our hopeful blers?

when VPA was turned into F&T, people figured the gallery could host most of the visual part of the forum. there are two art categories in the gallery where people can upload their work.

lets face it tho, the gallery sucks and has turned into a disorganized hosting area for most people...

there is no real contribution to people's art once it is uploaded and nowhere in it is there a place to discuss other art not done by our members and such

i pretty much said what you said in the thread SA linked... and i was pretty much told that the last attempt failed and in light of that there needs to be an unattainable level of interest for another attempt to be made.

i say unattainable as most of the people who would contribute to an arts subforum aren't sharing content right now because they would be required to come up with some thought-provoking shit to tack onto an image or the thread is locked and op refered to journal for starting a thread with a post lacking a question mark

Hmm, art being such a broad term, I could see this forum getting rather strange. What if my art was constantly posting the words indeed or sumthing? I like the idea though, but I think general art 'submissions' are kinda spread across the board- at least in PD we have a psychedelic poetry/art thread because everyone wants to draw and post their hallucinations....which is fanatastic and is one of my favored threads.

Either way, its a very good idea, needs a bit of threashng out though.

swilow said:
Hmm, art being such a broad term, I could see this forum getting rather strange. What if my art was constantly posting the words indeed or sumthing? I like the idea though, but I think general art 'submissions' are kinda spread across the board- at least in PD we have a psychedelic poetry/art thread because everyone wants to draw and post their hallucinations....which is fanatastic and is one of my favored threads.

Either way, its a very good idea, needs a bit of threashng out though.

now that sounds like a great idea! hmm makes me wonder if cd could benefit from some sort of art thread

well we could at least start by moving the photography competition thread over there, and that would be a base for traffic.

there is a huge cult following in that thread and hardly does anyone respond with indeed and such..

usually it involved constructive criticism on a photograph, or a question as to how it was taken. so it might get a tad ecclectic but with mods who care and pay attention everyone will quickly learn the ropes on what is acceptable and what isnt.

i say at the very least we set this up and test it out.. i mean whats the worst that could happen?

are we afraid of failure? i say we pick some mods and shoot for the stars!