• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Barry Bonds indicted on perjury, obstruction charges related to steroid investigation

fruitfly

Bluelight Crew
Barry Bonds, baseball's home run king, was indicted for perjury and obstruction of justice Thursday and could go to prison instead of the Hall of Fame for telling a federal grand jury he did not knowingly use performance-enhancing drugs.

The indictment, culminating a four-year investigation into steroid use by elite athletes, charged Bonds with four counts of perjury and one of obstruction of justice. If convicted, he could be sentenced to a maximum of 30 years in prison.

Shortly after the indictment was handed up, Bonds' personal trainer, Greg Anderson, was ordered released after spending most of the past year in prison for refusing to testify against his longtime friend.

The 10-page indictment mainly consists of excerpts from Bonds' December 2003 testimony before a federal grand jury investigating the Bay Area supplements lab at the center of a steroid distribution ring. It cites 19 occasions in which Bonds allegedly lied under oath.

In August, when the 43-year-old Bonds passed Hank Aaron to become the career home run leader, he flatly rejected any suggestion that the milestone was stained by steroids.

"This record is not tainted at all. At all. Period," Bonds said.

But while San Franciscans cheered his every swing and fans elsewhere scorned every homer, a grand jury quietly worked behind closed doors to put the finishing touches on the long-rumored indictment.

Bonds is by far the highest-profile figure caught up in the steroids probe, which also ensnared track star Marion Jones. She pleaded guilty in October to lying to federal investigators about using steroids and faces up to six months in prison.

Bonds finished the year with 762 homers, seven more than Aaron, and is currently a free agent. In 2001, he set the season record with 73 home runs.

Late in the season, the San Francisco Giants told the seven-time National League MVP they didn't want him back next year.

Bonds could not immediately be reached for comment. One of his attorneys, John Burris, didn't know of the indictment before being alerted by The Associated Press and said he would call Bonds to notify him.

"I'm surprised," Burris said, "but there's been an effort to get Barry for a long time. I'm curious what evidence they have now they didn't have before."

Defense attorney Mike Rains said he spoke briefly with Bonds but did not describe his reaction. At an evening news conference, he read a statement accusing federal prosecutors of "unethical misconduct" and declined to take questions.

"Every American should worry about a Justice Department that doesn't know if waterboarding is torture and can't tell the difference between prosecution on the one hand and persecution on the other," Rains said.

Bonds is scheduled to appear in U.S. District Court in San Francisco on Dec. 7.

He has never been identified by Major League Baseball as testing positive for steroids.

The Giants, the players' union and even the White House called it a sad day for baseball.

"This is a very sad day. For many years, Barry Bonds was an important member of our team and is one of the most talented baseball players of his era. These are serious charges. Now that the judicial process has begun, we look forward to this matter being resolved in a court of law," the Giants said.

Union head Donald Fehr said he was "saddened" to learn of the indictment, but cautioned that "every defendant, including Barry Bonds, is entitled to the presumption of innocence unless and until such time as he is proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt."

In Washington, White House spokesman Tony Fratto said: "The president is very disappointed to hear this. As this case is now in the criminal justice system, we will refrain from any further specific comments about it. But clearly this is a sad day for baseball."

Commissioner Bud Selig withheld judgment, saying, "I take this indictment very seriously and will follow its progress closely."

Bush, who once owned the Texas Rangers, called Bonds to congratulate him in August when the Giants' outfielder broke the home run mark. "You've always been a great hitter and you broke a great record," Bush said at the time.

Former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell, who is investigating drug use in baseball, declined comment.

The Hall of Fame currently has an exhibit dedicated to Bonds' record-breaking 756th home run.

"As a historic museum, we have no intention of taking the exhibit down," Hall vice president Jeff Idelson said.

Bonds was charged in the indictment with lying when he said he didn't knowingly take steroids given to him by Anderson. Bonds is also charged with lying that Anderson never injected him with steroids.

"Greg wouldn't do that," Bonds testified when asked if Anderson ever gave him any drugs that needed to be injected. "He knows I'm against that stuff."

Anderson's attorney, Mark Geragos, said the trainer didn't cooperate with the grand jury that indicted Bonds.

"This indictment came out of left field," Geragos said. "Frankly I'm aghast. It looks like the government misled me and Greg as well, saying this case couldn't go forward without him."

Anderson did not comment as he left a federal prison east of San Francisco.

Prosecutors promised Bonds they wouldn't charge him with any drug-related counts if he testified truthfully. But according to the indictment, Bonds repeatedly denied taking any steroids or performance-enhancing drugs despite evidence to the contrary.

For instance, investigators seized a so-called "doping calendar" labeled "BB" during a raid of Anderson's house.

"He could know other BBs," Bonds replied when shown the calendar during his testimony.

Asked directly if Anderson supplied him with steroids, Bonds answered: "Not that I know of."

According to the indictment, Bonds even denied taking steroids when prosecutors showed him the results of a test from November 2000 that showed a "Barry B" testing positive for two types of steroids.

"I've never seen these documents," Bonds said. "I've never seen these papers."

The indictment does not explain where prosecutors obtained those results, but they likely were conducted at the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative, or BALCO. Bonds first visited BALCO in November 2000 and submitted to the series of urine and drug tests conducted by BALCO founder Victor Conte on every athlete who went through the lab.

The test results may have been seized when federal agents raided BALCO in September 2003.

Conte said Thursday the tests were administered to protect athletes from taking legal supplements contaminated with illegal steroids. But he said he had no way of knowing Bonds' test results because the samples were assigned numbers rather than names.

"The reason for the testing wasn't to circumvent the system," Conte said. "It was to protect the athletes."

Bonds said that at the end of the 2003 season Anderson rubbed some cream on his arm that the trainer said would help him recover. Anderson also gave him something he called "flax seed oil," Bonds said.

Bonds then testified that prior to the 2003 season, he never took anything supplied by Anderson — which the indictment alleges was a lie because the doping calendars seized from Anderson's house were dated 2001.

Bonds has long been shadowed by allegations that he used performance-enhancing drugs. The son of former big league star Bobby Bonds, Barry broke into the majors with the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1986 as a lithe, base-stealing outfielder.

By the late 1990s, he had bulked up to more than 240 pounds — his head, in particular, becoming noticeably bigger. His physical growth was accompanied by a remarkable power surge.

Speculation of his impending indictment had mounted for more than a year, but the specter of steroid allegations have shadowed him for much longer.

Bonds joins a parade of defendants tied to the BALCO investigation, including Anderson, who served three months in prison and three months of home detention after pleading guilty to steroid distribution and money laundering.

Conte also served three months in prison after he pleaded guilty to steroids distribution. But Conte has long insisted that Bonds didn't get steroids from his lab.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baseball player Barry Bonds indicted on perjury, obstruction charges
By PAUL ELIAS, Associated Press Writer
Thursday, November 15, 2007

Link

He's an asshole, but I personally don't give a rat's ass if he used steroids. Cheating is apart of every sport. Deal with it.

i understand where u guys are coming from.... but WTF? This guy broke the home run record, now everyone is crawling up his ass because he used steriods to do it? WHO GIVES A SHIT, and why the hell do we have to send this man to JAIL? all he wanted to do was enhance his performance. His natural performance had already peaked. Just think of all the other athletes that use steriods that never get mentioned. Yeah it kinda sucks they have to result to chemicals to squeeze in 1 or 2 homeruns but is it really neccessary to send the guy to jail? this is just wrong. He should at least get fined or something. This is the most rediculous thing ive ever heard.

They aren't sending him to jail just for using steroids... they are sending him to jail for perjury and obstruction of justice.

^ exactly, if hadn't of lied under oath, I forgot how many times they said he would of gotten off alot easier

i wonder if Marion Jones caught wind of this and is the reason why she came forth with admiting her guilt... i know he was not the only athelete the bay area labs were supplying... also, is this indictment going to bring out any other names????

MikeyFlowers said:
They aren't sending him to jail just for using steroids... they are sending him to jail for perjury and obstruction of justice.

yeah i understand that but the whole thing just blows my mind... why was he brought under oath in the first place? for being a baseball player and using steriods? its not like he killed anyone or stole anything for gods sakes. the whole thing is stupid.

johboxer78 said:
i wonder if Marion Jones caught wind of this and is the reason why she came forth with admiting her guilt... i know he was not the only athelete the bay area labs were supplying... also, is this indictment going to bring out any other names????

I think I heard on ESPN that that was exactly what happened.

Couldent he have simply pleaded the 5th and avoided all charges?

What a waste of money. Baseball is boring as fuck and who cares if he took steroids? I'd rather see a bunch of freaks on steroids crushing the ball and getting in fights. Sure would make baseball more interesting. Such a waste of people's time and money to investigate this.

Honestly, MLB never took it upon themselves to do any sort of testing whatsoever. If they felt so strongly against it, they should have been more responsible, and done what was needed to ensure it. Everyone was using steroids. Seriously. EVERYONE. And how many people do you think are still, to this day, using IGF, HGH, or other hormonal drugs which are still undetectable through testing? Sure, Bonds was juicing when he hit 73, but who wasn't at the time? Some try to say his record is tainted, but how many home runs did he hit off pitchers who were juicing? Take a guess. Everyone was on the sauce. From high schoolers, to college kids, and up to the big leagues. All of our seriously competitive athletes have been getting a hand from science, and if you don't think so, you're retarded. It's that simple. I've been around it. I've seen it first hand. It's baseball's fault that they never did anything about it, and I think that needs to be acknowledged.

That said. The perjury part... Well, that was a gamble he took, and one which it appears he may lose... But you can't blame the guy for doing what he did when everyone else around him was doing it too.

Hate the guy for lying in court; that's your prerogative. But to anyone who says he's a cheater, he doesn't deserve the record... You just simply do not understand the game and what it had become.

Last edited:
Actually, ShaDDoW, MLB did test for steroids starting in the 90s. The thing is, a positive test just resulted in the players getting counseling. No names were released, no suspensions were handed out. Players didn't start getting suspended until 2005, and even then if you tested positive five times you still might not be banned for life. It wasn't until 2006 that players names would be released upon a positive test results, and you still had to test positive three times to get banned for life. So, really, before 2005 steroids were penalized less than a pitcher getting caught scuffing the ball, or other similar cases of cheating.

Bud Selig and others were well aware of what was going on and they didn't care. It has been estimated that over 80% of the players in the majors have used steroids during their MLB career at one point or another. I don't doubt it. Really, to me, it doesn't matter. When you compare a modern day player to a player in the past you are first supposed to look at what they did against their peers, then compare them, other wise you end up taking things out of context. Bonds accomplished everything that he has during an era were steroid use in baseball was rampant. He used steroids and did well against others who used steroids. That's a fair playing field.

People need to realize that baseball is a cheaters sport. It always has been and alway will be. You can't erase Bonds record because according to the rules of baseball, he didn't doing anything that would justify that type of punishment.