• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: NT News - 11/11/07 'Bosses reject drug tests to keep staff'

lil angel15

Bluelight Crew
Bosses reject drug tests to keep staff
ERIC TLOZEK
11Nov07

7drugtest.jpg

ANALYSIS: Bryan Chapman is tested for drugs and alcohol.

TERRITORY companies are not drug testing their workers for fear they will quit.

While random drug testing is on the rise around Australia, the manager of an NT testing company said employee sampling was only at an "embryonic" stage in the Top End.

"There seems to be a reluctance to conduct testing due to the fear of losing employees," Integrity Sampling NT and South Australia managing director Bill Hayes said.

Mr Hayes, who employs three people to test in Darwin, said the bulk of Integrity's business came from national companies with Territory offices.

He said companies using testing were mainly involved in transport or construction and that a skills shortage may have accounted for some fear from employers.

But Mr Hayes said part of the reluctance to test came from an ignorance of the procedure, which only detects if the psychoactive component of the drug is still active in a person's system.

"We are not the lifestyle police," he said.

"It (a drug) won't show if they don't come to work during that psychoactive period."

The saliva test, which takes about five minutes to complete, detects opiates, cocaine, THC (from marijuana), amphetamines and methamphetamines.

Drug testing is conducted at all Territory mine sites, NT Minerals Councils chief executive Kezia Purick said.

"It just ensures the person is fit to work and can perform the duties they are paid to perform properly," she said.

Logistics firm Linfox is one of the few non-resources companies toc onduct testing.

Spokesman Gary Max said the decision to test was made at a national level and that testing had been in place for the past five years.

"There are three levels of testing, pre-employment, random sampling and in response to specific incidents," he said.

NT WorkSafe Employment Services deputy chief executive John Hassed said there was no requirement under safety legislation for employers to test.

"NT WorkSafe does not specifically advise employers to test for drugs but advises on an Employer's Duty of Care Responsibilities under Section 29 of the Work Health Act," he said.

"The duty of care includes ensuring workers are able to safely undertake tasks required of them."

NT News

Good. I'd pass all drug tests thrown at me .. except multiple benzos which i can show scripts for (i dont smoke weed), but pissing in a cup would piss me off and be offensive to me.

Atleast I could still drop acid and work then

LOL kidding working would be a waste of good acid

The saliva test, which takes about five minutes to complete, detects opiates, cocaine, THC (from marijuana), amphetamines and methamphetamines.

If such technology already exists then it mightn't be long before we see opiates and cocaine tested for in the states with road side drug tests.

I'm reliably informed by someone who works for a major employer that they ignore positive drug test results on a regular basis because they need the staff.

Makes you wonder why they do them in the first place, really. It's nothing more than an invasion of privacy.

Splatt said:
Good. I'd pass all drug tests thrown at me .. except multiple benzos which i can show scripts for (i dont smoke weed), but pissing in a cup would piss me off and be offensive to me.

Assuming the org. you worked for (like the asshole one mentioned in the article) had a zero tolerance policy to drugs, and you tested positive even if u showed a script, could you still get fired?

Not unless I was a driver or a pilot.
In the driving and air industry you must legally be urine tested, then they ask you what prescriptions, if any you are on. You can lie and say you're NOT on about 3 heavy anti-psychotics which in fact, you are, and the urine test won't show them. For the normal pertson, driving or flying on these anti-psychotics = sleep at the wheel at worst, crashes at least. For someone who needs them that's been on them for years, it's just like how people that don't take them feel normally.

So if you don't lie and say, I'm on Solian, Seroquel, Xyprexa and Epelem etc.. to stop my delusions or whatever, you would need your doc/p[sych to write you a medical note saying you are safe to drive, andf thats THEIR liability then, so they won't do it.

So dole for life people on those drugs... ?