Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Users think drugs help driving

fruitfly

Bluelight Crew
Drugs help driving - users
By Carly Crawford, Herald Sun (AU)
October 31, 2007

MORE than a quarter of amphetamine users who drug-drive think the dangerous stimulant improves their performance behind the wheel.

And two-thirds of drivers who pop sedatives similar to those used by fallen footy star Ben Cousins think those drugs have no impact on their driving skills.

The sedatives, a type of benzodiazepine, are among the most commonly detected prescription drugs in impaired drivers, police figures show.

A major Australian Drug Foundation survey on drug drivers will be launched today.

The survey, done with research body Turning Point and funded by AAMI, found that drug users did not believe their habit affected their driving.

Fifty-six per cent of amphetamine users thought the substance had no impact on their ability while 27 per cent felt it enhanced their skills.

Almost half the ecstasy users and one quarter of cannabis users thought those drugs damaged their performance.

Principal researcher Jane Mallick, director of the ADF's Centre for Youth Drug Studies, said the findings were cause for alarm.

"A common response was that it can improve alertness so there might be a perception you're a better driver," Dr Mallick said.

"There is a perception there isn't a risk."

Researchers surveyed 6801 people aged between 16 and 84 around the country and found that 30 per cent of people taking benzodiazepines - a type of tranquilliser - had driven within three hours of using it.

Benzodiazapines are used by drug users to help them come down from the highs induced from illicit stimulants.

Sacked West Coast Eagles star Ben Cousins was found with a packet of diazepam when he was pulled over by traffic police this month.

Dr Mallick said drivers were ignorant of the dangers posed by prescription drugs.

"Again, people don't perceive the risks," she said.

Victoria Police's Insp Martin Boorman said 49 per cent of the 751 motorists charged with driving while impaired in the five years to December 2005 had tested positive to benzodiazepines.

He said one in 53 drivers had tested positive to speed, ecstasy or cannabis after being pulled over at the roadside.

"The reason someone takes a psycho-active substance is that it has an effect on their cognitive ability," Insp Boorman said.

Half of the ADF survey respondents admitted to driving within three hours of using cannabis or amphetamines compared with 37 per cent of ecstasy users.

Link

Victoria Police's Insp Martin Boorman said 49 per cent of the 751 motorists charged with driving while impaired in the five years to December 2005 had tested positive to benzodiazepines.

Do they test for benzos? Can you only be charged if you do not have a script? What the hell????

You could get charged for driving impaired even if you're prescribed that substance.

fruitfly said:
"The reason someone takes a psycho-active substance is that it has an effect on their cognitive ability," Insp Boorman said.

That sentence doesn't really make sense, but surely drugs like caffeine and paracetamol are also psychoactive? Are they dangerous too?

When they put this on the news they interviewed some top police officer who said that people shouldn't even be driving if they've had prozac that morning...

Might cause a few problems if they decide you can't drive on any prescription drugs at all!

phrozen said:
You could get charged for driving impaired even if you're prescribed that substance.

Honestly, with Benzos i really think it SHOULD be that way and stay that way. I never seen someone drive so fuckin bad as when i (Stupidly, not knowin how bad fucked up they were) been in the car with someone on vallys or xannys.

I seen piss ass drunk people drive better than people on benzos. This guy would drive like 5-10mph in a 35, and 20 in a 50. Then he would just randomly floor it once in a while, braking n accelerating totally randomly for no reason and at the wrong times (For example gassing it up to like 55mph when we had a turn real close ahead, and sometimes totally forget where we are goin and pass the turn completely.) Also he would do this all while crossing into other lanes not just swerving but like straight up straddling the double yellow line or even driving in the oncoming traffic lane for 3-5 seconds at a time. Then he would just kinda slow down and coast for a while til he would sometimes be almost at a dead stop in the middle of a regular road, with traffic behind us. When anyone tried to take the wheel he would start yellin and screamin and buggin out about how hes drivin perfectly fine and who the fuck am i to try and tell him how to drive his own fuckin car, etc. 8o 8( Serious bullshit bizness man.

Now after i been in a situation like that a few times, i learned to recognize the signs of someone whose fucked up like that. It wasnt that i couldnt see they were fucked up, its just that i never really drive fucked up n the ppl i be around know better than to drive on that shit. So i wasnt experienced in havin to try n convince a totally mentally fucked person that somehow they should pull over n let someone else drive. IMMMMM PerrFectLY FINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNE! WHat are YOUUUUU talkin about? ME? IM Fine! Its time to leave Cmon guys! We gotta go meet up with _______ (When we are really goin somewhere totaly different, and were meeting up with that person yesterday, or tomorrow, etc. not even realizing what day it is or why we are goin somwehere, but still insisting they have to drive.) And then the "Look, Its gonna be fine. I dont know why you gotta be such a fuckin pussy. IM fine to drive. Im totally fine. Just get in the car ok? JUST GET IN THE FUCKIN CAR!! IM FINE!!! IM FUCKIN FINE!" speech.

That person pulled another drivin session fucked up on xannys n methadizzles and had 2 townships worth of cops lookin for him cuz he got so many reckless driving reports called into the ppl drivin behind him. he also insisted that when they pulled him over and he couldnt even talk,that he DIDNT TAKE ANYTHING! I DIDNT TAKE ANYTHING! WHY DID YOU PULL ME OVER I WAS DRIVING FINE! I DIDNT TAKE ANYTHING! HE really didnt even remember that he took some pills. DWI city peeps. Remember that shit. Benzos are some horrible horrible shit to drive on, and i never seen someone SO FUCKIN BELLIGERENT that they can drive fine. usuall drunk ppl will just give up and let you drive, or they will admit it right away "Im wasted!" when people get fucked up to the point htat they would consider driving on benzos usually you shoudl do everything you can to keep em from doin it, and if they gotta, dont fuckin go with them if you value your life. I sure as shit came close to gettin smashed into pieces cuz of the retard xannyed out driver who thinks the other lane is the right one to be in, that i learned my lesson n wont go near a car and benzo'd out fool if they are remotely related to eachother. :|

Not everyone is that stupid but im jus sayin, my experience taught me alot about ppl and drivin on benzos.

^
Stimulants may improve your driving to a degree, but taking too much can make you an aggressive driver.
I don't care if stimulants make you Mario Andretti, I don't want to be on a road with you. Especially if you're driving a big ass tractor trailer. Truck drivers are imposed limits on how long they could continuously drive. They don't like it, but I'm glad they exist.

As for driving on benzos, you're right it could be worse than alcohol. I've driven on benzos(combined with alcohol) a lot of times. I'd end up waking up in a new place after a benzo blackout, and have no recollection of how I managed to drive myself there without causing harm.
Never again.

I understand all your posts and think they are all very valid. But my question has still not been answered...

Is it illegal to drive with benzos in your blood?

I have never been told this before I read it in this report. Is this a case of pulling someone over because they are driving badly and taking them to the station to have a blood test?

How does one determine intoxication? It is not as simple as saying 0.05 for alcohol... is it?

They run a field sobriety test and if you fail that they'll take you in for a blood test. I don't know anything else besides that, maybe you should ask in Legal Discussion...

I don't know anyone that actually got busted for being impaired on their prescriptions, but I do know people that got busted for driving high on drugs(heroin, pot).

I was just reading the article again...

'Benzodiazapines are used by drug users to help them come down from the highs induced from illicit stimulants.'

Among other things... lol

phrozen said:
They run a field sobriety test and if you fail that they'll take you in for a blood test. I don't know anything else besides that, maybe you should ask in Legal Discussion...

I don't know anyone that actually got busted for being impaired on their prescriptions, but I do know people that got busted for driving high on drugs(heroin, pot).

That long ass story I told was of someone whose legal prescription it was. He had the bottle in the car in his name n everything. the cops arrested him for dwi or dui whatever one it is i forget and confiscated all the rest of his script for the month as evidence not leavin him one pill. they can n will arrest you even if its your own scripts if you are drivin bad enough to get pulled over on it, they dont care whose it is its still drivin while fucked up and considered illegal. i think its different if you take like one pill like youre prescribed and it barely affects you just gets you on the level but if youre takin enough to really feel then you aint got no protection against gettin arrested.

atlas said:
so truckers take amphetamines to drive worse?

lol no just to stay up.

I dont care what anyone says, drving while high on speed does not help your drving in anyway. And when staying up for days on speed and drving, thats just horrible. Accidents are bound to happen.

lacey k said:
That long ass story I told was of someone whose legal prescription it was. He had the bottle in the car in his name n everything. the cops arrested him for dwi or dui whatever one it is i forget and confiscated all the rest of his script for the month as evidence not leavin him one pill. they can n will arrest you even if its your own scripts if you are drivin bad enough to get pulled over on it, they dont care whose it is its still drivin while fucked up and considered illegal. i think its different if you take like one pill like youre prescribed and it barely affects you just gets you on the level but if youre takin enough to really feel then you aint got no protection against gettin arrested.

And rightfully so...

Having it prescribed does not give you the right to risk people's lives.