Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

If You Thought Nonalcoholic Beer Was a Great Idea, You'll Love This

erosion

Bluelight Crew
If You Thought Nonalcoholic Beer Was a Great Idea, You'll Love This
Reason
October 23, 2007

Back in the mid-1990s, when the FDA was pretending it already had the authority to regulate tobacco products that Congress is currently thinking about giving it, the agency considered a proposal to stop people from smoking by forcing tobacco companies to gradually reduce the amount of nicotine in their cigarettess. When the level became too low to initiate and maintain addiction, it was suggested, no one would want to smoke anymore. There were a few problems with this plan, not least of which was that it would make cigarettes more dangerous by exposing smokers to higher levels of toxins and carcinogens for the same dose of nicotine.

Now David Adams, a former FDA official who proudly takes credit for the nicotine reduction plan, has a new idea. In a New York Times op-ed piece, Adams says the government should force tobacco companies to make two kinds of cigarettes: regular, for smokers 21 or older, and "non-addictive," for anyone younger than that. "Better yet," he writes, "sales of addictive cigarettes could be restricted to individuals born 19 or more years before the two-cigarette strategy was put into effect. Under this approach, 18-year-olds who start smoking non-addictive cigarettes would be prohibited from switching to addictive cigarettes even after they turned 21." In other words, instead of gradually introducing nicotine-free cigarettes, as in Adams' original nicotine reduction plan, he wants to introduce them right away and gradually increase the number of people forced to smoke them.

I have a different idea: Why not have various kinds of cigarettes for adults and no cigarettes at all for minors? Wait, that rule already exists in every state. Perhaps Adams thinks it should be enforced more vigorously, in which case he may be right. Or perhaps he thinks the cigarette purchase age should be raised to 21, in which case he should explain why that cutoff is more appropriate than 18, which is considered old enough to vote, marry, live independently, sign contracts, own firearms, and enlist in the armed forces. But it is hard to see how the task of enforcing age restrictions would be made easier by extending the prohibition to people in their 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s, permitting them to buy only the sort of cigarettes that Adams admits no one would want to smoke.

Link

I would be interested in seeing if I enjoyed a nicotine-free cigarette.

I'd probably enjoy them if they were menthol. :\

Where i live all the illegal smokes are Native made. The natives grow tobacco and sell it on the reserves. Then illegaly sell it to white people who deal it out. Get a bag of shitty ass smokes for $20. I think its a carton, im not shur though i dont smoke.

i hate cigarettes already, i can't imagine how much i'd hate them if they had no mind-altering substance in them.
they should just make weed legal. that'd put big tobacco out of bidnit.

atlas said:

Me too. I think I would still smoke for a little bit even with nicotine free cigs. Cigarette addiction is more than nicotine addiction IMO it just gets to be routine(have one when you wake up, when you get in your car, with coffee, with alcohol, even just having one just because your bored even when your not craving one)

ive tried a nicotine free cig, from my friends mom who bought them in Thailand, and brought them back for her, and they are disgusting. they leave the worst taste. chinese made knock off cigs are pretty bad too.

nice avatar. off topic i know but steve ignorant is performing in leeds near the end of november.

Native smokes are decent, very cheap and healthier.

atlas said:

..?

Do you not realize that tobacco naturally contains nicotine?

whoa whoa whoa, stop the presses.

of course I do, 8(

this article is about the prospect of addictionless cigarettes, those would fundamentally be nicotine free, genius

Typically the nicotine is extracted and the plant matter made into pulp which is spread and sprayed with a lessor portion of the nicotine extracted. The excess goes to charity.