• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Amsterdam: Magic Mushrooms Banned!

KillaSeason

Bluelighter
AMSTERDAM, Netherlands - The Dutch government said Friday that it will ban the sale of hallucinatory mushrooms, rolling back one element of the country's permissive drug policy after a series of high-profile negative incidents.

The decision will go into effect within several months and doesn't need parliamentary approval, Justice Ministry spokesman Wim van der Weegen said.

"We intend to forbid the sale of 'magic' mushrooms," he said. "That means shops caught doing so will be closed."

Under the country's famed tolerance policy, marijuana and hashish are technically illegal but police don't bother to prosecute people for possession of small amounts, and they are sold openly in designated cafes.

Possession of "hard" drugs like cocaine and Ecstasy is illegal.

Psilocybin, the main active chemical in the mushrooms, has been illegal under international law since 1971. However, mushrooms that are fresh and unprocessed in any way have continued to be sold legally in the Netherlands, on the theory that it was impossible to determine how much of the naturally occurring substance any given mushroom contains.

Mushrooms will fall somewhere in the middle of the Dutch legality scale.

"We're not talking about a non-prosecution policy, but we'll be targeting sellers," Van der Weegen said.

Van der Weegen said that, in the end, that was also the reason the policy proved unworkable.

"The problem with mushrooms is that their effect is unpredictable. It's impossible to estimate what amount will have what effect."

Calls for a re-evaluation arose after a French 17-year-old, Gaelle Caroff, jumped from a building after eating psychedelic mushrooms while on a school visit to Amsterdam.

Caroff's parents blamed her death on hallucinations brought on by the mushrooms, though the teenager had suffered from psychiatric problems in the past. Her photographs was splashed across newspapers around the country.

Since Caroff's death, other dramatic stories involving mushrooms have been reported in the Dutch press, though mushroom vendors complained that each of the cases involved tourists who were using other drugs and alcohol at the same time — against their usage instructions for mushrooms.

The users include:

• A British tourist, 22, who ran amok in a hotel, breaking his window and slicing his hand badly.

• An Icelandic tourist, 19, who thought he was being chased and jumped from a balcony, breaking both his legs.

• A Danish tourist, 29, who drove his car wildly through a campground, narrowly missing people sleeping in their tents.

Amsterdam mayor Job Cohen had suggested a 3-day "cooling off" period between ordering them and using them. Most mushrooms sold in Amsterdam are sold to tourists, and the city's reputation for liberal drug policies and legalized prostitution are major tourist attractions.

Dutch ban famed hallucinatory mushrooms

AP

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071012/ap_on_re_eu/netherlands_magic_mushrooms

Last edited by a moderator:
KillaSeason said:
• A British tourist, 22, who ran amok in a hotel, breaking his window and slicing his hand badly.

• An Icelandic tourist, 19, who thought he was being chased and jumped from a balcony, breaking both his legs.

• A Danish tourist, 29, who drove his car wildly through a campground, narrowly missing people sleeping in their tents.

If alcohol were the scapegoat for these incidents no one would bat an eye. meh!

The 3 day 'cooling off' period seems like a better idea. It would eliminate random drunken purchases or just random trips altogether. It would involve definitely invoke more thinking and planning in the user.

Hopefully this decision is later reversed. Looks like I should try to make it to Amsterdam within the next few years before it's illegal(er) to smoke weed too.:!

But wait, what happened to the three day wait period? 8)

Never saw this coming... 8)

Jamshyd said:
I will admit, phrozen was right all along.

How so?

KillaSeason said:
Calls for a re-evaluation arose after a French 17-year-old, Gaelle Caroff, jumped from a building after eating psychedelic mushrooms while on a school visit to Amsterdam.

Dammit, I want an Amsterdam field trip!

Notice that the girl who jumped to her death had a history of psychiatric problems. Obviously she had no business eating mushrooms.....

Makes me wonder what will happen to the large-scales dutch mushroom farms??

Murat KucuksenHe predicted the trade will move underground, prices will rise, and dealers will sell dried mushrooms or LSD as a substitute, with no guidance for tourists.

"So you'll have a rise in incidents but they won't be recorded as mushroom-related, and the politicians can declare victory," he said.

Exactly

phrozen said:
But wait, what happened to the three day wait period? 8)

Never saw this coming... 8)

That was an initiative of Amsterdams mayor Job Cohen. I don't think he has too much influence on national politics. His party however (labor party) is in on this decision too. Goddamn left-wing-conservatives that like to kiss christian ass! :X

Not that I care too much though. I you wanna shroom, you'll find your shroom. Shrooms in shops are way overpriced. Those Smart-shops can kiss my ass too.

Darn, 'shrooming in Amsterdam was one of the main attractions 4 going there.

They sold six varaties of shrooms, the best being Hawaiian.

They were expensive too, like 18 euros.

The City also closed down alot of windows, however, last time I went, 1/3rd of the windows were empty.

Soooooo stupid. No doubt alcohol causes 100 times more problems!

i was there in June, noticed a good number of windows closed. But still had a lot open.

when I go to a'dam, i love to eat shrooms.. but that's over now..

next on the chopping block.. coffeeshops..

bastards!

Such a shame...

Of course this has to happen before I get a chance to visit. This reminds me of High School where one idiot does something every year and the next year a retarded rule is implemented. One or more things like this happened every year that I was in High School... atleast

All right let me see this is just magic mushrooms right? What about the natural ones. . .

^^those are the natural ones. Any mushroom containing psilocybin = magic.