Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The fish thread

katmeow

Bluelight Crew
Lots of bluelighters seem to like fish.

(Not eating fish, keeping fish).

Here is your fishy thread to discuss such things.

:D

Woot woot fish thread fish thread

picture076sh6.jpg

Fightey being cranky and Simon taking a break from devouring all my weed.
vomit-smiley-019.gif

I very rarely put a mirror up against his tank. I rekon it might be a bit cruel. Hey but they are displayed in all the shops right next to each other.

Is Simon a Apple snail? I can't find a good ID site.

I was just about to PM you guys so we didn't hijack the OT thread (which sounds like a strange concept really) but anyways, then I noticed Kat has set one up for us

Klue said:
Fightey is eating wrigglers (quite a few, like 20 or 30) every three or so days. Then I give him some betta pellets on the next day. (He doesnt like them as much but eats them), then I give him some frozen blood worms a couple of times in that next day. I have also given him a day everynow and then with no food because I was worried I was overfeeding. He was getting a bit sluggish and fat.

I have been racking my mind trying to remember the brand of food I use, which is strange since I had a pck in my hand only 4 hours ago. But anyways I will get back to you on it. If you can find this brand then I suggest you try it as it is especialy formulated to provide fish with vegetable matter and other vitamins.

Another food you should consider would be Super R, it is a special formula to bring out the red in your fish. Use it sparingly however, as over use has been linked to mutation.

samadhi said:
Thanks so much for the input, eggman, it's really appreciated. <3

Could you suggest a tropical fish that is similar in nature to a giant gourami but doesn't grow as big? What about a red devil? Perhaps we'll clean the tank out, dry everything again and get new gravel... and get some dwarf gouramis again? We had gourami tuburculosis in the tank, unfortunately, but the aquarium said that drying everything out will rid the tank of the disease.

Yeah, A Giant Gourami would not like that tank to much. Having said that though, the first thing I thought of when I saw that picture where cicclids and in particular, Discus!

You could try Red Devil and/or Oscar but you will struggle to find other species that will live harmoniously with them.

Discus though would thrive in that set up.

Discus are really temperamental, aren't they? WE don't mind not having other fish along with a red devil or oscar, as we would have only had the giant gourami. I WANNA GIANT GOURAMI! :( We seriously have nowhere to put such a large tank, though.

Ciclids could be good though, they prefer a really alkaline water, no?

Does Simon have a pointy shell? If he does, he's not an apple snail. Trevor had a round shell as did all of his an Karen's babies. =D (Karen was his live-in girlfriend.)

LoL. Karen the snail =D Umm its sorta pointy at the end of the spiral. I dont really mind what type he is but I hope he gets huge thats all.

Discus are peaceful so in theory make a good comminity fish, but would do better by themselves as they do like an alkaline and hard water. (I think). And yeah I dont think they are the easiest Cichlid to keep. Lots of them are cranky buggers and dont make great community participants.

I've always wanted to go to Africa and go snorkelling in Lake Malawi. Such a fascinating place. Just like snorkelling in an aquarium except its 180x75 km big.
DSC01998_lake_malawi_fish.jpg

Wiki entry

Has anyone heard of Flowerhorns?
4005flowerhorn.jpg

One of my old bosses was obsessed with them and used to breed them. They are a hybrid and aggressive as all fck. Pretty nice. This one in the pic is probably very very valuable. They are the chinese feng shui fish of the century or something. ;)

All this talk of aquariums makes me want to get back into it. I still have like 5 or 6 big tanks that are out of action atm. I have been keeping fish since I was like 10 years old.

Over the years I have had hundreds of fish in Aquariums of all shapes/sizes. Mainly exotic tropicals, but the best community I ever had was when I was living up in the hills when I was about 14. I used to spend heaps of time down in the creek trapping fish and generally hanging there.

It was a three foot tank and I had three different species of rainbow fish, eastern blue-eyes, smelts, heaps of gudeons, two tiny crayfish that were fascinating and an eel. The eel used to hide in the gravel with only its head visible and would eat the fish every now and then. Even the weed in the tank was stuff I got from creeks around the place, all endemic native species of fish, it was just so great. Crap! I even had native mussels in there.

I have had perch and bass before but I bought them.

Native fish FTW!

I've always wanted to go to Africa and go snorkelling in Lake Malawi.

Agreed. I was going to go there at the end of this month but I couldn't afford to take the time off work. :(

As for keeping fish, well I might just buy one of those siamese fighting fish. I think they're pretty cute, and my dogs can't get to it!

A fishy thread huh? Hooray! :D

I haven't kept a fish tank in years. After working with fish all day I just can't be fucked to look after a tank at home. At work I have a pet barramundi cod and a couple of pet blue swimmer crabs. I'll be eating the crabs as soon as they're big enough but not ol' Spotty, he's my mate! I can hand feed him and pat him and stuff. He's got an awesome personality :D

I also have a tiny fish tank in my office at work. Just has 2 pearlscale goldfish in it. They're kinda cute and very easy to look after. The fighter I used to have in there died cos he was too shit scared of me every time I moved around at my desk. Poor bastard.

eggman88888 said:
I have been racking my mind trying to remember the brand of food I use, which is strange since I had a pck in my hand only 4 hours ago. But anyways I will get back to you on it. If you can find this brand then I suggest you try it as it is especialy formulated to provide fish with vegetable matter and other vitamin
The brand of food i was wanting recommend is made by a company called the Fish Fuel Co. They are frozen and come in several different varieties. For your fighter i would recommend Community Dinner or Goldfish. As far as foods go this stuff is the best way to give your aquatic pals the vitamins and protein they need

For all you Giant Gourami fans out there

Gary Gourami wants to show you all his sexy big lips

garyGourami.jpg

Oh lordy, way to make a girl jealous, eggman. *pout* :(

When we get a giant gourami, i'm going to call it Mick Jagger. :D

those are old pics of my tank, i lost most of the things that you see in the picture due to stray current in the tank

Last edited:
samadhi said:
Oh lordy, way to make a girl jealous, eggman. *pout* :(

When we get a giant gourami, i'm going to call it Mick Jagger. :D

haha the lips are definately a major feature of the Giant Gourami and to be honest I have never really been given a logical answer as to why they need larger than life lips. One of the local retailers where I get most of my bits and pieces from has a Giant G that is having his 21st birthday early next year and his lips are huge.

The pose that Gary is showing in that picture is common of gouramis. When you go up to the glass they think you are going to feed them and regardless of how old they are they never work out the physical restrictions glass can impose on them. So the put their lips on the glass and open their mouths trying to eat whats on the other side.

Its very humorous

sony123 said:
DSCF0783.jpg

DSCF0765.jpg

those are old pics of my tank, i lost most of the things that you see in the picture due to stray current in the tank

cool set up. I have been considering a marine set up for some time now and when I start i'll ease my way in by getting a small volume tank with some coral and a tang or something.

Did you find the maintenance on the set up in your pictures to be very draining on your time?

My godmum had an awesome marine tank with a big anemone and clown fish that would chill out in it. She had so much success because she lived three minutes from the surf and used to collect water at high tide for her water changes.
I recon its cruel to use salty crystals to make your own sea water. :(

Edit: Oh she also had a sea cucumber that spawned and killed all the fish with its milky cloudy gism. :(