Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Tianeptine in Australia?

Advanc3d

Bluelighter
is Tianeptine prescription only? can it be imported without prescription?
how would one obtain this and is it still obtainable ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tianeptine

was about all the info i could find, nothing in the TGA's list or search.

As a 'tricyclic anti-depressant', i'd assume it IS available for prescription off label use, a psychiatrist of mine was trying to get my to try these sorta of drugs to deal with my depression. But as stated, i was afraid of the risk MAO Inhibitors may have on my drug use.

Although, what wiki said its not specifically a tricyclic, just similar... SSRE sounds interesting enough.

scratch that, just re-read the wiki, and: "Legal status: Prescription Only (S4)(AU)"

We aren't allowed to source these things for you as, our kind mod above has stated, so ii'll say only this. Go have a discussion with your GP about depression, what your coping with (if that is the case and you dont want this drug for abusive purposes). Talk about different types of anti-depressant drugs and make an informed statement in regards to this particular drug. He'll most likely prescribe it for you - if only to trial for your symptoms.

It does however, sound promising.

Last edited:
I can't seem to find much on Tianeptine and it's not listed on MIMs, so I'd say it's yet to be approved in Australia. If so, then you can probably order it without prescription atm. Bear in mind though, this drug is a tricyclic, meaning that it's not as safe as most SSRI's or SNRIs and that potentially at least, it may cause death from overdose.

are tricyclics that bad? my doctor seemed to think they're the answer for everything anxiety, depression, sleep problems etc...
i think they fucking suck but some of them the dose rangesa from 25mg upto like 400mg

No they aren't all bad, although they are often considered less effective in the short term than some SSRI's etc. Tricyclics also are deemed less reliable than SSRIs and tend to produce more side effects such as dry mouth and blurred vision.

TCAs took over somewhat from the more nasty MAOIs as a preferred treatment back in the 60's and 70's although the parent compound, iminodibenzyl was first synthesised by Holzinger and Thiele in the late 19th century. In 1949 Hafliger and Schindler synthesised over 40 derivatives of iminodibenzyl one of which was imipramine. Structural similarities between Tianeptine , iminodibenzyl and imipramine can be seen by comparing the 3 molecules.

Tricyclics do have limitations; they are not effective in treating schizophrenia (although the closely related clomipramine is), they are often contraindicated with other drugs and due to acute toxicity are frequently the 'drug of choice' in attempted suicide. TCA overdose is reported to cause ~400 deaths/ year in the UK. Still overdose doesn't sound like a good way to go; Excitement, delirium, convulsions, coma, respiratory depression and pronounced atropine like effects which can last days... not nice

Sources: Goodman and Gilman's 'The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics 6th ed; Rang et al, Pharmacology 4th ed; ChemIndustry

Attachments in oder of appearance: iminodibenzyl, tianeptane, imipramine

Attachments

• dibenzylamine.png
    dibenzylamine.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 118
  • tianeptine.png
    tianeptine.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 98
  • imipramine.png
    imipramine.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 120
Yes, when Hafliger and Schindler synthesised the iminodibezyl derivatives, some were intended as antihistamines (phenothiazines). The replacement of the ethylene linkage (forming the top part of the centre ring of imipramine) with sulphur forms the strutural basis for promethazine, an H1 blocker.

The dry mouth is enough to put me off these things, but the next day is horrid, I don't know how anyone could become dependant on these things for a medecine. They do help sleep though, but do they actually do anything to serotonin to help increase it like SSRIs?

Most are non-selective monoamine uptake inhibitors affecting 5HT and noradrenaline, and to a lesser degree dopamine uptake. Some also block presynaptic alpha2 receptors. Most TCAs also affect other receptors such as muscarinic, histamine and serotonin receptors.

Several metabolites of TCAs are also active which makes establishing the pharmacology difficult. It has been suggested that sedative and antidepressant properties are attributed to their actions on serotonin, but this is in no way like the regulated and more specific actions of the SSRIs.

*bump* Has anyone had success in getting these prescribed in Australia? My girlfriend is currently taking Reboxetine (Edronax) for anxiety/depression and has been for around 6 months with no improvement. This sounds promising although tricyclics in general sound like bad news. She doesn't really want to go on an SSRI due to the huge range of side effects and horror stories about them.

Advanc3d said:
is Tianeptine prescription only? can it be imported without prescription?
how would one obtain this and is it still obtainable ?

If not your doctor it is easily obtained through online pharmacies.

If you're interested in feedback see the M&M or Bodybuilding forums.

Doooofus said:
*bump* Has anyone had success in getting these prescribed in Australia? My girlfriend is currently taking Reboxetine (Edronax) for anxiety/depression and has been for around 6 months with no improvement. This sounds promising although tricyclics in general sound like bad news. She doesn't really want to go on an SSRI due to the huge range of side effects and horror stories about them.

perhaps get your gf to ask her doc about Aurorix (moclobemide) which is a RIMA (reversible inhibitor of monoamine oxidase-A). Its the new style of MAOI which doesnt come with the normal risks of the old irreversible MAOIs (ie cheese effect, hypertensive) and they have very little to no side effects.

neuronalperception why are you all of a sudden going nuts over tianeptine all over the forums lol, this is an old thread he just bumped

tianeptine and amineptine are not available in Australia and both have atleast some addictive/abuse potential particularly amineptine, which I would love to get my hands on for a test drive