• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

OxyContin Maker, Execs Fined $634.5M

Ravr

Bluelighter
Purdue Pharma L.P., the maker of OxyContin, and three of its executives were ordered to pay a $634.5 million fine on Friday for misleading the public about the painkiller's risk of addiction.

U.S. District Judge James Jones levied the fine on Purdue, its top lawyer and former president and former chief medical officer after a hearing that lasted about four-and-a-half hours. The hearing included statements by numerous people who said their lives were changed forever by the addiction potential of OxyContin, a trade name for a long-acting form of the painkiller oxycodone.

Designed to be swallowed whole and digested over 12 hours, the pills can produce a heroin-like high if crushed and then swallowed, snorted or injected.

From 1996 to 2001, the number of oxycodone-related deaths nationwide increased fivefold while the annual number of OxyContin prescriptions increased nearly 20-fold, according to a report by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration. In 2002, the DEA said the drug caused 146 deaths and contributed to another 318.

Michael Friedman, who retired in June as Purdue's president, general counsel Howard Udell and former chief medical officer Paul Goldenheim each pleaded guilty in May to a misdemeanor count of misbranding the drug for claiming that OxyContin was less addictive and less subject to abuse than other pain medications.

Of the total $634.5 million fine on Friday, $34.5 million was levied on those three.

Jones placed the company on probation for five years and each of the executives on probation for three years. He also ordered the three to perform 400 hours of community service related to prevention of prescription drug abuse.

Jones said he would have preferred to have the plea agreements call for spending money on education of those at risk of drug abuse and treatment of those who are addicted to OxyContin. But Jones said he would not reject the agreement.

"Many young people mistakenly believe today that prescription drugs are safer than other drugs," Jones said.

The fines are to be distributed to state and federal law enforcement agencies, the federal government, federal and state Medicaid programs, a Virginia prescription monitoring program and individuals who had sued the company. About $5 million will go toward a six-year company program to monitor compliance with the agreement.

Survivors of the victims want the Food and Drug Administration to reclassify OxyContin for use only for severe pain. The drug currently can be prescribed for moderate pain.

Purdue, based in Stamford, Conn., has said it accepted responsibility for its employees' actions and has put in place training and monitoring programs to ensure overpromotion of OxyContin doesn't happen again. But officials objected to any ties between the plea agreement and abuse of the drug.

Many of those who gave statements had spoken at a rally before the hearing.

"One of my main infuriations with that company is that for years they denied there was an epidemic," said Ed Bisch of Palm Coast, Fla.

"The first time I heard the word OxyContin was when I was told my 18-year-old son died of an overdose," said Bisch.

Bisch, who has a Web site called http://www.oxyabusekills.com, drove to the hearing with two other parents, including Lee Nuss, who held up an urn slightly larger than a pill bottle that she said contained her son's ashes.

"I feel you are legal drug users, nothing more than a large corporate drug cartel," Nuss said addressing the Purdue Pharma contingent.

The coal-mining region of southwest Virginia where the sentencing took place has had a number of oxycodone-related deaths -- 119 from 2003 through 2005, according to the state medical examiner's office.

OxyContin Maker, Execs Fined $634.5M
Associated Press
Link

Last edited by a moderator:
serves em right.

alot of people i know started this thinking it was like 50 notches down from heroin.

but its pretty much the same. infact i prefer oxy over heroin.

Zodiaccupuncture said:
serves em right.

alot of people i know started this thinking it was like 50 notches down from heroin.

but its pretty much the same. infact i prefer oxy over heroin.

Because Purdue ran ads saying "Its cool go ahead and crush them and snort and shoot oxy, its totally like 50 times less serious than heroin" right?

Show me one shred of evidence that they promoted recreational use?

Ironically it appears that since doctors are now scared away from oxy they have replaced it with methadone! Yea RXing methadone for pain patients is really gonna nip that addiction epidemic in the bud, this is going to bite them in the ass ten times worse then oxy in a few years.

As long as the public can blame someone and give them a hefty fine/throw them in jail it's business as usual. OK, purdue pays a huge fine and they'll still have record profits this year.
It's a bunch of non-sense. exactly as said above "
Show me one shred of evidence that they promoted recreational use?"

whatever the "epidemic", just blame someone and it's all good. If it's a pharm sue the shit out of the company, if it's illegal throw some people in jail for life and in the publics eye the problem is fixed. That is until politicians need a new "epidemic" to scare the people into control.
The truth is that the these "drug epidemics" are merely a symptom of a much bigger problem. But in our society it's more pleasing to treat the symptom than to look at the deeper issues. It's easier to look at people as scumbag addicts than victims of circumstance.

Ravr said:
"The first time I heard the word OxyContin was when I was told my 18-year-old son died of an overdose," said Bisch.

wow, bad parenting

This is bull!!!

They are just going to take all that money, & give it to the government! It says it in the article,

"The fines are to be distributed to state and federal law enforcement agencies, the federal government, federal and state Medicaid programs, a Virginia prescription monitoring program and individuals who had sued the company. About $5 million will go toward a six-year company program to monitor compliance with the agreement."

I mean if they really wanted to do somethin about it, they would have made it mandatory or part of the companies' probation to make the pill a little weaker or somthin, maybe modify it, start makin it less addictive, but no they just want to take the money give it to the government who's in cahoots w/ the pharm. companies anyways, which will just be handed right back to them. I think it's just a huge insurance fraud thing anyways, b/c you know none of the monies is commin out of any personal pockets. The insurance company is paying the settlement to the government which in hand they will pretty much give right back to Purdue. The only monies they will lose out on is victims families, which i could bet my life on that that probably doesn't total out to no more than 1-2% of what the total lawsuit was.
aaarrgh!!:X

Hey!

;)
PsyGhost said:
wow, bad parenting

GEEZE! So what you think i should blame my parents for every drug that i've done or everything that's almost killed me? I'm not trying to be a bitch, but come on, you can't blame anybody else for anothers actions! THINK b/f you.........type.

This lawsuit doesn't really mean shit and it's sure as hell not gonna do shit.

not that im in support of pharmecutical giants ruling the free world of drugs with an iron fist,

but i think its pretty damn silly that someone would sue someone because they got hooked on an opiate. derr... thats like cig smokers suing tobacco companies in this day and age.

Yeah, im pretty sure Purdue has made it pretty clear from the begining that OC is an opiate. Most people can tell you that opiates are addicting.

i saw this on CNN today, i knew it was going to happen sooner or later...however i didnt think it would be as large of a sum as it was.

oxycontin was my drug of choice before it got too expensive and i had to switch over to heroin. i know im not the only one that has walked that path either.

yeah, its a great painkiller. when taken as directed it can help ppl with chronic pain live a semi normal life and thats awesome. but untill science comes up with a better way to manage pain, opiates/opiods are going to be the go to medicine. since that is the case, there will always be ppl abusing them. i can see how purdue is to blame on this in some respects, they did over market it....but its a damn good painkiller.

"Morphine! Heroin! The Horror!... Nurofen Converts To What In The Liver?!?"

hebb22 said:
Most people can tell you that opiates are addicting.

I wish you were right...
...on this board, yeah,
but there's enuff peeps
out there,
peeps I know, even,
that arn't aware codeine's
an opiate...
:\

PEACE
UnS

ChemicalSmile said:
If people dont know codeine is an opiate they shouldnt be doing drugs then.

exactly!!!! derr...... I knew that when we'd chugg the bottle in like 7th grade and smoke some grass.

Ya ppl those tylenol 2's, 3's & 4's are what......
o ya CODEINE too:!

It was definitely coming. No surprise there. Im sure the amount they had to pay was quite small compared to their overall sum made in one year, so its not that hard of a punishment.
I wonder whether others will follow this and sue some pharm companies.

If they actually did represent oxycontin as some kind of magical new opiate that had no addiction potential I think they deserved to be slapped down for that.

But they were marketing to DOCTORS and they had to get FDA approval, you would think someone in that long process or one of the doctors would have said this is just a time release version of a known addictive drug. Was everyone that easily duped? My god people who have gone to medical school for a decade should be a little brighter then your average man.

Ravr said:
"One of my main infuriations with that company is that for years they denied there was an epidemic," said Ed Bisch of Palm Coast, Fla.

Bisch, who has a Web site called http://www.oxyabusekills.com, drove to the hearing with two other parents, including Lee Nuss, who held up an urn slightly larger than a pill bottle that she said contained her son's ashes.

Of course Bisch conveniently forgot to mention that his son died from combining xanax and alcohol and then CHEWED up a pill of oxycontin. The xanax and alcohol together could have been enough. I had seen this website over a year ago and it used to have the full story of the kid's death. Now the story has been chopped down from a full page to a couple paragraphs.

Sensationalist bullshit. Why didn't he go after Anheuser-Busch or whatever "brand" of alcohol was involved? I mean, alcohol kills over 100,000 people a year and oxy kills a few hundred. ASPIRIN kills more people than oxy. Opiates are remarkably safe (used alone). The US government is so blatently full of shit. The DEA should just come out and admit that they're paid by the Alcohol and Tobacco companies to protect their monopoly on recreational drugs. You'd have to be brain dead, LITERALLY, to believe that a drug that kills a few hundred people who ABUSE it (oxy) is more dangerous than a drug (tobacco) that kills 400,000 routinely.

Ironically enough, the DEA and all the anti-drug ads are funded by the "Partnership for a Drug-Free America" which is headed by Big Tobacco and Big Alcohol.

Oh wait... Alcohol and tobacco are legal though so they must not be drugs8(.

I have an idea... lets sue:

Gun manufacturers for every gun death
car manufacturers for every car accident
candy manufacturers for every customer who gets diabetes
McDonalds for causing Type 2 diabetes and heart attacks
paper manufactures for paper cuts.

And we can give all the money to the Federal Government to fight the War on Guns, the War on Cars, the War on Candy, the War on McDonalds, and the War on Paper!!!

That makes sense... right ;) ?