Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: ABC Online - 12/7/07 'Ravers expect to grow out of drugs, study shows'

lil angel15

Bluelight Crew
Ravers expect to grow out of drugs, study shows
12 July 2007

New research has found the majority of young people who go to dance parties and take drugs plan to be more sensible when they get older.

PhD student Al Marshall, from Southern Cross University's Gold Coast campus, conducted 40 hours of interviews with people at dance parties in Sydney to find out why they go.

He says feeling the vibe of the event and drug-taking are among the top five reasons for going, but most people expect to grow out of that.

"People were saying, 'It's something I do now, it's part of being young and free and the ability to play and express myself, but then that stage will pass and I'll pass into another stage of my life'," he said.

Among the findings were that party-goers rate drug-taking as a higher priority than dancing.

The research also suggests some homosexual people see dance parties as a place they can go to feel less oppressed.

Mr Marshall says some gay people said they go to raves to feel part of a community.

"It was to be in a room with thousands of like-minded people and feel better about themselves, to feel freer and somebody used the term less oppressed," he said.

ABC Online

Say yes to Drugs and No to Hugs! I'm a sociable person and I generally like people and like to help and be kind. But hate kandy kids and metro types hugging me. Guys shake hands.. pat on the shoulder.... Hugs are for couples are girls. (going a bit off topic but i see through mdma's fake serotonin-hyped-up forced personality and use it for other reasons. a pseudo-psychedelic and calming sedative which makes electronic music sound better.)

I goto raves for the music, and to sit against a wall for 4 hours on a cocktail of psychedelics, speed, mdxx and G.. But I still dance a bit... Normally before i take the drugs though... Just getting old...

And NOW. Dance parties are going to die out a bit because the fee per person the government is making them pay to play copyrighted music (which basically only pop stars / top 40 people get back as royalties) has gone from 20c per ticket. to a whopping $3.07 per person, but now its not based on ticket sizes, it's based on the venue's maximum capacity.... meaning that the ****** arena which could you could pack like 10,000 people into * $3.07.... fucking bullshit. So ticket prices are gonna go through the roof. So maybe raves will just become a big drug taking den with no music now to avoid those fees... or use public domain tunes only (which then producers will only get donations)....

[EDIT:venue name removed. hoptis]

Last edited:
^Hey, if those fees will kill hardstyle, im a happy man.

I think one day i'll grow out of drugs, but i think getting over the scene happens alot sooner than quitting drugs.

I'd be inclined to agree with the article. Since I started raving I know a few people who used to go out every week and have a ten pack of ecstasy and now they only go out once every three months and have one pill instead. I guess it's the kind of thing that you just get over, unless you get addicted... :-/

Raves weren't invented when I was a kid. Says it all really, maybe I'd be better off if they had......................................:\ ;)

night life is shit these days. the risks of being stabbed far outweigh the mount of fun you CAN'T have.

it's really not that fun any more, now that i think about it, i don't think it ever was fun.

psilocybescrewbens said:
night life is shit these days. the risks of being stabbed far outweigh the mount of fun you CAN'T have.

it's really not that fun any more, now that i think about it, i don't think it ever was fun.

There are always day clubs! Haha, even higher chance of getting stabbed :p

pootma said:
For me the rave scene is dead, and is a period in my life that I'm very happy to be over with and out of it.

I'm not sure what happened, maybe I just woke up and saw the really seedy bad side from the dodgey promoters to the highly dysfunctional people. or the tired and old music with the stale 4x4 beats.

yeah I'm over it.. it's just boring.

This thread is way too negative and this quote sums it up. I can see how youd get pissed off with the almost childish behaviour of the raves ye talk about, but thats only one side of the scene. There are people who are really in it for the music, dance music is improving all the time if you ask me but not if you dont develop your tastes.

If you can get into some of the better acts who are really tring to do something with their music, you will find at events there are alot less people there who are tring to make some kind of artificial scene. In my experience I have met genuine people at electronic music events where it is just regular conversation like meeting some one at a bar, with the bonus of having the common interest of the music.

Jeez I hope this guy didnt get grant money to go to raves then write something incredibily obvious..

I think some peoples problems with the rave scene is they distort their perception of it with mdma and believe in a whole heap of crap like PLUR. The rave scene is just like any other music scene.. Theres regular people, casualties of drug use and general complete weirdo's.

I agree with Splatt on this going around thinking everyone wants a hug bs.. Its these people who fall hard when they realise not everyone lives in fantasy land. I go to raves still, after many years because I still enjoy the vibe and the music. I dont go pretending it some eutopian magical land where all your dreams come true.

**look at me im on the exctasy **
:) > :D > ;) > 8o > 8( > :( > :|

I still like whats left of the Brisbane Hardcore scene and Vibe.. but i was never a "raver" It's skinheads or metal heads that converted to gabber on ice, and emo's that are ruining it. And under 18 year olds.

I know which event you are on about and haven’t really noticed many if any skinheads on ice or emo's. Or at least none that were “ruining the vibe”. Although I didn’t go to the last event... Yes the youngins can be a tad bit annoying but we would probably act the same if we that age. I am interested in how kids that age get the money for a ticket and gear. I was struggling to get a cask of goon and some weed at that age. I guess as far as harm reduction goes at least they are having some of their first drug experiences where trained medical staff is present.

I like to think of myself as a raver. I will hug my mates after a few to many beers. No pingers required. But yeah hugs from randoms are pretty weird unless they are girls. After a bit of reflection I have come to the conclusion that i will probably like the music and the drugs for longer than I like the scene. There are definitely negative aspects about the scene in general but I don’t feel them as much at proper raves (harder genres). I notice it more at the more commercial dance music festivals (breaks/house/electro). The fuckwit ratio at those things is off the hook. Then again I guess the rave scene does have its seedy side. But it’s a good seedy... if that makes sense.

But when all the music, drugs/booze and venue/scene come together perfectly at once and you have that perfect night out well it certainly does kick ass! I just wish it would happen more often. :p Also I definitely agree with yoker’s opinion on the music side of things

Oh and out growing it all together only time will tell but I don’t think its going to be happening anytime to soon. I can see myself being one of those old guys who still likes a night out once every blue moon.

Well the last event we are talking about... some methfiend stole the decks and mixers from the psytrance room..
and when wlaking into the gabber room i remember some metal;heads/skinheads going "yeah fuck that ciunt, lets kill him!" and spitting on the ground.. maybe it was just a few events of the night which made it feel seedy and a bit evil.

yeah i read about the decks going missing on another forum. The other things you mentioned also would have had me wigging out too.