• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS:Johns extinguishes spot fire after dopey joke

Chronik Fatigue

Ex-Bluelighter
You stupid, stupid little shit.

Johns extinguishes spot fire after dopey joke

Patrick Donovan
July 10, 2007

SILVERCHAIR'S Daniel Johns nearly landed his high profile mates Peter Garrett and Bono in hot water yesterday through his habit of goofing around in interviews.

While being interviewed on Triple J's breakfast show after his band's new album, Young Modern, was nominated for a J award, Johns was asked by broadcaster Lindsay McDougall about his relationship with Bono, who is thanked in the album's liner notes.

Johns said that the two met a few years ago at The Chateau Marmont hotel in Los Angeles. When U2 was in Sydney last November, the Irish singer invited Johns, his wife Natalie Imbruglia and Garrett, the then shadow minister for reconciliation and the arts, to the house were the band was staying.

"He (Bono) asked if I'd play the demos and it was really one of the most surreal moments in my life," said Johns, who admitted to being hung-over and to receiving a massage in his US hotel at the time of the interview. "It was me and Natalie and Peter Garrett and Bono laying (sic) on Bono's bed smoking joints listening to Young Modern demos."

Johns didn't sound like he was joking, but before you could say "I didn't inhale", he had retracted that part of the story in a written statement.

"In an interview I did this morning on Triple J I made a stupid joke," he said. "It's just been brought to my attention that some people in the media have taken my dumb joke seriously, so I want to set the record straight. At no time have I ever smoked a joint with Bono or Peter Garrett. They are both well known to be very anti-drugs so that's why I assumed everybody would know I was joking when I made that comment …

"I was fortunate enough to once get to play them some of my demos but I swear that no joints were involved. I guess I felt a bit like a name-dropper mentioning them on the radio, so that's why I added a silly throwaway joke. I accept that drug use is no laughing matter and I apologise sincerely for any confusion or harm I've caused," he said, adding that he hates interviews because they can be misinterpreted.

"I really should just shut up and stick to singing."

Johns and Garrett have become close over the last few years. Johns performed the Midnight Oil song Don't Want to Be the One at the band's induction into the ARIA Hall of Fame last year, before spray-painting "PG for PM" on the stage wall.

Garrett, who is known for his clean living, has been chastised by some old fans for changing his tune on US military bases on Australian soil.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...parks-spot-fire/2007/07/09/1183833431746.html

lmao.. sure you've never smoked pot with your band members...

His battle with anna was probably more like a battle with meth :p

"landed his high profile mates in hot water"???No one gives a shit except u patrick Donavon and your fucktard mates in the media

^^ And some of the folk up at Parliament House, Garrett is in the shadow font-bench don't forget. Costello et. al. are going to have a field day on this one 8(

Stay straight Australia: Garrett
Ben Packham and Cameron Adams, with AAP
July 10, 2007 12:00am

ROCK star MP Peter Garrett has urged Australians to go straight in the wake of claims he recently enjoyed a marijuana joint with U2's Bono and Silverchair's Daniel Johns.

The Labor frontbencher today urged Australians to obey the law, after Johns' claims about dope-smoking exploits with the musician was claimed to be a joke.

Mr Garrett, the former lead singer of Australian rock band Midnight Oil and opposition spokesman for the environment, said he accepted Johns' apology and warned Australians against breaking the law.

"I'll tell you what I think is really critical, people have got to fully abide by the law," Mr Garrett told reporters today.

"They need to be aware of all the risks involved in whatever behaviour they are engaged in and I think Daniel's apologised for the joke he made."

Johns was yesterday forced to make an apology after claiming on national radio that he had spent an afternoon smoking marijuana with Mr Garrett and U2 lead singer Bono last year.

Yesterday, Mr Garrett admitted to smoking marijuana when he was in his 20s, but would not elaborate when asked when he last used the drug.

"That information is all on the public record," he said.

"Daniel has already apologised for the joke that backfired," Mr Garrett said.

"I have accepted his apology. I think Danny will go on and make fantastic music (but) he probably won't be giving interviews for a while as a consequence."

Yesterday a spokeswoman for Mr Garrett's office confirmed it had contacted Johns' manager about the initial claim, but said that Johns had voluntarily decided to clarify his comments.

Mr Garrett has been reluctant to discuss whether he has any experience with drugs, refusing to address the issue in a 2004 interview.

"That's a part of my life which is closed," he told 3AW.

In an on-air boast, later retracted, Johns said he shared a joint with Garrett and Bono as they listened to Silverchair demo tapes.

He told the ABC's Triple-J: "It was really one of the most surreal moments in my life.

"It was me and Natalie and Peter Garrett and Bono laying on Bono's bed smoking joints listening to the Young Modern demo."

Hours later the Newcastle-raised rocker issued a statement -- after being contacted by Mr Garrett's office -- saying the boast had been a "stupid joke".

"At no time have I ever smoked a joint with Bono or Peter Garrett," it said.

"They are both well known to be very anti-drugs so that's why I assumed everybody would know I was joking when I made that comment.

"Clearly that wasn't the case and I feel sick that I might have caused embarrassment to two people who I admire so much."

Yesterday afternoon a Herald Sun interview with Johns was suddenly pulled.

A source close to the band said an upset Johns did not want to fuel the Garrett incident any further with more media commitments.

"Two interviews planned for tomorrow have been postponed for a few weeks so that there's a chance for those interviews to focus on music rather than on one silly joke," the source said.

Johns' string of radio interviews yesterday was timed to coincide with tickets going on sale for the joint Powderfinger/Silverchair tour starting in August.

Silverchair is in Los Angeles and will perform its single Straight Lines on national TV program The Tonight Show with Jay Leno tonight.

The Young Modern album will be released in the US this month, with Straight Lines scoring Silverchair its first major radio exposure in the US in more than a decade.

The band starts its North American tour on Friday, then heads to Europe in August.

The trio won't be back in Australia until the first Powderfinger/Silverchair show on August 29 in Newcastle.

Herald Sun

In case you were ever wondering just how conservative society still is regarding drug use... politicians in mainstream parties can't even admit to having a joint when it's probably obvious to most Australians that he has used before.

Yesterday, Mr Garrett admitted to smoking marijuana when he was in his 20s, but would not elaborate when asked when he last used the drug.

He's done. Done like a dinner. It's a sad indictment of our society's attitude towards drugs but if the government can prove this is BS (it is) then he is DONE.Outright lying is the worst thing, he should have just obfuscated the argument and not let himself get pinned down on specifics. The fool. The ALP really doesn't need this in an election year, just wait until parliament sits again. This is what you get for recruiting celebrities.

I do hope you're wrong, the hypocrisy of it all is disgusting.

A state Labor MP can be caught drink-driving (Carolyn Hirsch, VIC and also Andrew Olexander, VIC Liberals) and still remain an MP - an act which potentially endangers the lives of so many others.

Yet having a joint makes someone unfit to serve as a politician? 8)

Senator Heffernan was making noise recently about drug testing politicians, also it came up during the AFL drug scandal, this is perfect political fodder for Howard. Lateline has just started, if they bring it up then its an issue for sure ;)

Lol, what a hypocrit that guy is now. Funny listening to his old lyrics and then seeing his stance and views on them now. He needs a good hard 400ug LSD trip spiked in his bottled water so he remembers what the fuck he stands for. Unless this is some giant masterplan for the time being, be gain control and get things fixed. But I doubt it. Brainwashing is very real.

Rudd stone cold on marijuana

July 11, 2007 - 8:45AM

Labor MP Peter Garrett smoked it when he was in his 20s and former US president Bill Clinton said he "did not inhale", but for Labor leader Kevin Rudd marijuana has never been part of his scene.

Former Midnight Oil frontman Peter Garrett came under the spotlight this week when Silverchair singer Daniel Johns said he had smoked joints with the MP and U2 rocker Bono.

Johns later retracted the comment, saying it was a joke and Mr Garrett released a statement admitting he smoked marijuana when he was in his 20s.

Asked today if he had smoked marijuana, Mr Rudd said: "Never, never, never."

"Not a part of my scene," he told the Nine Network.

"I've always had a very tough line on this stuff, really, really hard line.

"I'm in John Howard's camp on this one, we have a unity ticket."

AAP
http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/rudd-stone-cold-on-marijuana/2007/07/11/1183833556225.html

Finance Minister Minchin admits to dope use
By Colin Brinsden
July 11, 2007 04:27pm

SENIOR Federal Government minister Nick Minchin has admitted he smoked dope at high school, but says he can't recall whether he and Peter Garrett shared a joint at college.

It may have come as a bit of a shock to the audience at the National Press Club that the now silver-haired Coalition senator, with the stuffy portfolio of minister for finance, smoked marijuana when he was young, but he freely admits it.

Former Midnight Oil frontman Mr Garrett, and now Labor frontbencher, came under the spotlight this week after silverchair singer Daniel Johns said he had smoked joints with the MP and U2 rocker Bono.

Johns later retracted the comment, saying it was a joke, but Mr Garrett released a statement admitting he smoked marijuana when he was in his 20s.

“Peter Garrett was there (at Burgmann College) at the same time as me, and my recollection is that at that time we were both much more interested in bodysurfing on the NSW south coast than in politics,” Senator Minchin told the National Press Club in Canberra.

Asked whether they had smoked marijuana together, Senator Minchin quipped: “I don't recall actually smoking dope with Mr Garrett ... the room was too cloudy.”

But he freely admits he smoked the weed when he was at high school in the US, but today has strong views against its use.

“For me to suggest that I have never smoked marijuana, I would be lying through my teeth. Of course I did at that time at school and probably at university,” Senator Minchin said.

He said the casual, social use of marijuana was a fact of life for people of his vintage that went to school and university in the late 60s and early 70s.

“So I'm not going to play games and pretend it didn't occur,” the South Australian senator said.

Labor leader Kevin Rudd, who also went to Burgmann, said today that smoking marijuana was never part of his scene.

“I've always had a very tough line on this stuff – really, really hard line,” Mr Rudd told Channel 9.

“I'm in John Howard's camp on this one. We have a unity ticket.”

Senator Minchin's views are also quite different today and he actively discourages smoking marijuana.

“I do strongly believe that the consumption of marijuana is very dangerous, to be actively discouraged,” he said.

“I have three children. One is in primary, one is in secondary and one in tertiary, and I do spend a lot of my time explaining to them the evils of consumption of marijuana, and do as I say, not what I do.”

News.com.au

Who gives a fuck? lol
It's a joint.

Now if we were talking about some MP who spent 4 years of his life inject8ing heroin, it might be a different story. But a joint.. Get a life.

I didn't think Rudds stance on weed was so harsh.. i duno who to vote for now :p But I guess anyone other than howard is okay.. hell even peter costello.

^^ It's more a reflction of the conservative anture of the Australian electorate, these guys don't say a word without it being put through a focus-group.