• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

TV: Cowboy Bebop

Benefit

Bluelighter
Cowboy Bebop is a space western set in 2071. Travel within the solar system has become commonplace via the use of a network of hyperspace gateways... but not without a few setbacks. A gate disaster in the early part of the 21st century destroyed the Moon and rendered Earth an inhospitable place; much of civilization spread to offworld colonies. One of the more appealing elements of the series is that this background information is never explicitly stated and fleshed out for you; the viewer is immersed in the world and left to piece together the past on their own.

The story focuses on the crew of the spaceship Bebop, a group of loveable and flawed bounty hunters who hop around the solar system chasing bounty heads. You've got the brooding and dangerous anti-hero Spike Spiegel; ass-kicking ex-cop Jet who has certain fatherly tendencies; femme fatale Faye Valentine; androgenous teen hacker Ed; and a super-smart dog who doesn't feature prominently enough. They spend 26 episodes chasing after bounty hunters but only rarely ever claiming the bounty. Each character has a mysterious past which is gradually revealed during the course of the series.

I enjoyed this show very much, but thought the movie was better. The series obviously gives more insight into the characters and their world... but the movie was better. There were only a few episodes that really wowed me. Just my opinion. There are heavy influences from science fiction classics like Star Trek, Blade Runner and Alien; the Lupin III series also bleeds through a lot. Very good voice acting, even for minor parts. You'll end up caring about the characters. The last scene in Episode 26 is beautiful, as are the last couple scenes in Episode 1.

The best part of this series is the soundtrack. Many sequences are set and timed to jazz and blues and the titles of the episodes are derived from musical styles or iconic songs. The soundtrack really elevates this series. All things considered, it's very good but I'm not gushing over it.

Amazing anime indeed...Love the Theme song and "The Real Folk Blues".

Fei is hot and Spike and Vicious are so badass

related reading:

Anime Discussion [merged]
Favorite anime?
I don't like Japanese animation

i wrote a capsule review for the bebop movie for gmr magazine. from my journal:
alasdairm said:
Cowboy Bebop - The Movie

There is no cooler animated series than Cowboy Bebop. Period.

Bebop is the spaceship in which galactic bounty hunters Spike, Fay and Jet travel, along with companions Ed and Ein the dog.

It is 2071 and the 300 million bounty on the head of a bio-terrorist is welcome music to the ears of the Bebop crew. The clues point to Vincent - who announced his arrival with a huge explosion on a Mars freeway and seems to have a far more sinister agenda.

This eagerly anticipated trip to the big screen boasts the same director, writer and voice cast as the series and could have simply played like an extended episode. However, it manages to stand on its own two feet.

There are many factors that make this movie so enjoyable. The oddball characters have more depth and style than many of their counterparts in the real world. The animation is sometimes explosive, sometimes subtle but always pitch-perfect. The hip soundtrack plays such an important role it’s like a character in itself.

While watching in Japanese with English subtitles seems more appropriate, the English dub on this disk is far less awkward than on many other anime works.

If you are a diehard fan or you’re wondering what all the fuss is about, Cowboy Bebop won’t disappoint.
alasdair

still waiting for the promised prequel series of spike and vicious in the syndicate.... probably never happen.

I love the series, and the movie. I was really bumbed when adult swim stopped playing it:(

My brother is convinced spike died at the end of the last episode after killing viscious and colapsing on the stairs of the syndicate but I dont agree.

Had no idea there was a movie! Nice.

As for the series, I really enjoyed it.

Gotta love the mushroom episode :D