View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Study: Teen Online Talk Largely About Drugs, Sex

Banquo

Bluelight Crew
Study: Teen Online Talk Largely About Drugs, Sex
Alarming Statistic Should Be Call To Arms For Parents

(CBS) NEW YORK Parents who think their teens' online conversations with peers are innocent may want to reconsider. A new study shows 1 in 10 of their messages discuss drugs or sex. The messages are posted on common online message boards.

"'Crunked' is like the cool way of saying 'I got drunk,'" said 19-year-old Lucky O'Donnell. "'Scag' is one of the harder ones to figure out and that's heroin." O'Donnell knows the risks all too well. He went online to find out where to get cocaine. He's now in recovery.

"Mostly it was, where are we going to meet up to get it," he said in reference to scoring some cocaine. A new study by Caron Treatment Centers finds 1 in 10 messages analyzed involved teens seeking advice from their peers on how to take illicit drugs "safely" and without getting caught.

One reads: "Let's go candy flipping tonight" -- another term for using ecstasy.

The study also found several other messages pertaining to sexual activity.

"All these terms are ways to get around the eye of people who may be monitoring your conversations," O'Donnell said.

Then there's the online lingo for marijuana. There's "420," "51" and "A-Bomb." Experts say most parents have never heard of them. One other term mentioned frequently, "pre-game." It describes the practice of getting drunk before parties. In the messages, teens confessed to destructive behavior while they were under the influence.

"It's very, very frightening," said Dr. Harris Stratyner of the Caron Treatment Center.

In the messages, while few teens expressed any regret, many chalked it up to having a good time.

"A tremendous amount of talk about hooking up, bigger and better highs," Stratyner said.

As for advice for parents, you may want to crack down hard on your child's online activities.

"Everybody wants to trust their child, but sometimes children aren't to be trusted," O'Donnell said.

So "PAW" -- parents are watching -- may be just what teenagers need.

http://wcbstv.com/seenon/local_story_171170917.html

"One reads: "Let's go candy flipping tonight" -- another term for using ecstasy. "

^
It's actually LSD and Ecstasy.

"'Scag' is one of the harder ones to figure out and that's heroin."

huh. interesting, i thought that was a well-known term for heroin. maybe only among heroin users tho, lol...

Originally Posted by hebb22
"One reads: "Let's go candy flipping tonight" -- another term for using ecstasy. "

^
It's actually LSD and Ecstasy.

That's weird I always thought it was about chilling and eating candy. I think some of this stuff is overblown and the parents are making stuff up about innocent chat. My two cents.

Let's keep teens ignorant. That will definetly benefit them.

Banquo said:
Then there's the online lingo for marijuana. There's "420," "51" and "A-Bomb." Experts say most parents have never heard of them.

who the hell says 51 or A-Bomb? and if you dont know what 420 is then you are just ignorant

ZOMG ! THINK OF TEH CHDRENZ ??? WTF!!!

Holy crap, they need a whole study ? News flash, teens conversations for ages have always revolved in majority around sex and drugs so................ yeah online they discuss the same crap they would in RL.

Gimme a fukking break

Crazeee said:
Holy crap, they need a whole study ? News flash, teens conversations for ages have always revolved in majority around sex and drugs so................ yeah online they discuss the same crap they would in RL.

I was going to post something along these lines, but you beat me to it. +1

i wonder if adults talk about sex/drugs in online conversations to a greater or lesser degree? new study!

is this supposed to be news? STOP THE PRESSES!!! TEENAGERS HAVE SEX AND SMOKE MARIJUANA!!!

Let me just get this straight.

A new study shows 1 in 10 of their messages discuss drugs or sex. .

This is "Largely" HOW???

That would be TEN PERCENT of their conversations. how does that in any way equal anything close to "talking largely about drugs and sex." That would mean that 90% of the msgs AINT about drugs or sex.

Do these people also think that since 2% of highscholers have tried heroin, that the "majority" o high schoolers done the drug?
uhoh.gif

some reporter diddnt have anything better to do then make up fake abbreviations..

This is just stupid

Wow there really out of date

Like seriously 1 in 10 my ass more than half of my conversations with ummm anyone involve sex or drugs and im not even a teen no more

Infact when i was It was the only thing anyone talked about duh there teenagers they would love nothing more than to smashed and shag a hot broad

Its just sad to see how out of touch this reporter is

Crazeee said:
ZOMG ! THINK OF TEH CHDRENZ ??? WTF!!!

Gimme a fukking break

haha mmm nice pot crazeee always glorious are your posts.

He went online to find out where to get cocaine. He's now in recovery.

Ok, and if he didn't have access to a computer, he would have used the phone. Let's ban all phones now!

There's "420," "51" and "A-Bomb."

I've heard A-bomb once or twice in reference to ACID, but never to pot. Ever. Or this "51" shit.

Articles like this make me just sigh and shake my head..because there's no way to reverse the ignorance of some people.

That article made my day, I was giggling like an idiot the whole way through =D