• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: I Love You, Phillip Morris

physix

Bluelight Crew
Based off of Steve McVicker's novel, adapted for the screen by the same writers of Bad Santa, and directed (for now) by Tim Burton, I Love You, Phillip Morris follows the real-life exploits of Steven Jay Russell (the modern-day Frank W. Abagnale (Catch Me If You Can)).

But, whereas Frank's success was largely dependent on the time he lived in, Steven's con-artistry began in the 80s and took him well into the 90s. Moreover, once Frank was caught, that was it, really. Steven got caught... escaped... got caught again... escaped again... and so forth. All on Friday the 13th, too (for those poetically inclined). He impersonated cops while in jail... impersonated an FBI agent while on FBI watch... spent months building up and convincing a prison doctor that he had AIDS...

You can read the wiki I linked to learn a bit more, but the crux of the story is that he eventually fell in love with Phillip Morris, an inmate, and even managed to spring him from jail once (or, at least, get really close). It seemed that his feelings for Phillip was his weakness, as every escape was followed quickly by either contacting Phillip, visiting Phillip, or trying to jail break Phillip. Gotta admire the love, but damn.

At any rate, Jim Carey plays Steven and, as the reports go, he makes the character even more affable -- not laughable, mind -- than he really is (which apparently is a lot). Considering I liked the book and I liked Bad Santa, I'm banking that I will enjoy this film.

source: Variety + me (book info)