• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

chokingvictim

Bluelighter
film: The Salton Sea

Anyone else seen this film? I thought it was great, seeing how most films in the past few years follow the same formula and its just too easy to predict what's about to happen. This movie actually had some original qualities to it, not to mention the cool ink on Val Kilmer's back. Any opinions anyone?

yep, i saw this a while ago in one of my classes at uni and have to say that i liked it too. although i wouldn't exactly call it "ground breaking" but creative direction, strong performances, and a script that shifts to and fro in time kept me thoroughly intrigued for majority of the film. AND Val Kilmer's definitely a hottie in this too! :)

"seeing how most films in the past few years follow the same formula and its just too easy to predict what's about to happen."

I dont mean to be an ass, but as soon as I read that I thought the complete opposite about the movie. It reminded me wayyyy too much of Memento, you know the one with the insane chronology. You know the whole deal with not remembering who he was, and running into a girl thats in trouble with the abusive ex. Oh and the revenge part.... when his wife was getting killed was a complete rip off of memento. The whole panicie camera work, ya know?

anyone else feel this way or wuh?

I'll give you that, as far as some of the scenes and editing techniques have probably been used.
I was thinking more along the lines of the fact that a new character is introduced to the main character, and you think you know something about the main character. Then another new character comes into the movie, and what you thought you knew you suddenly realize is wrong. This continued through the first hour or so of the movie I thought. But I agree, the shots of the wife and all that was sort of cliche (sp?). Same with the scene where he's about to kill the guy who killed his wife, then the guy grabs the knife and gets on top of him and the tables are turned, but then he grabs the needle and yet again, the tables are turned. That type of things is somewhat common in movies I guess, so I see where you're coming from sort of.

i just watched this the other night and it was suprisingly entertaining. i was expecting it to suck, but most of the characters were great (esp Pooh Bear or whatever the hell his name was- freaky and awesome)

Originally posted by chokingvictim
the shots of the wife and all that was sort of cliche. Same with the scene where he's about to kill the guy who killed his wife.

i agree with the whole revenge plot being cliche. btw i should probably mention that i watched this film in my 'melodrama and morality' class, so obviously there must have been certain formulistic elements employed for it to be able to fall into the melodrama category.

still as i said overall i thought it was well done and entertaining.

i'd give it 3 1/2 out of 5 stars.

ummm.......your late.....like.....2 years late.....i own this post...i poseted about it like 2 years ago...yeah...your living in a cave on dialup

I think people just like it because it's another drug movie and one of the few involving meth. Spun just felt like a bad comedown the whole time I watched it. This movie was interesting but it really wasn't all that fantastic. I'd say the best parts were within the first 15 minutes of it.

EvilKoreKlown666 said:
ummm.......your late.....like.....2 years late.....i own this post...i poseted about it like 2 years ago...yeah...your living in a cave on dialup

So what if I live in a cave, but um, dialup? I'm not living in the stone ages or anything. pssh.

Anyways, I did a search, I guess I'm a moron to not be able to UTFSE correctly or something, so sorry. ;) You can call this thread yours too if it will make you feel better. :)

chokingvictim said:
So what if I live in a cave, but um, dialup? I'm not living in the stone ages or anything. pssh.

Anyways, I did a search, I guess I'm a moron to not be able to UTFSE correctly or something, so sorry. ;) You can call this thread yours too if it will make you feel better. :)

well he wont " own" it when a mod merges them both =D

spun is one of my fav- movies, I hate people who bash it. It tells the truth about about meth and how people live while on it. I thought I saw myself on screen there for a minute. I have never seen the salton sea, but Ill have to watch it sometime. I just don't like how there always has to be some crapy plot about death and drugs mixed together. there are happy druggies out there, : )

spuns not suppose to be a feel good movie, its the reality of meth heads, the salton sea wasnt as good as i had hoped 2/5

borntoslow said:
I just don't like how there always has to be some crapy plot about death and drugs mixed together. there are happy druggies out there, : )

I agree, most movies involving a lot of drug use paint a VERY negative picture about the outcome of using.
I'm still not sure about that them though as far as "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", it was kinda neutral, and I was rolling on the ground laughing too hard to see any sort of underlying meaning in that one. But films like "Spun", "Requiem For a Dream", "MacArthur Park", and many others are exactly how you described it.

Drugstore Cowboy had some pretty funny scenes in it though, I think it was intended to be a comedy more than anything, but I'm not sure what genre it's supposed to be, if any. "comedic drama" maybe?

I've had this DVD for quite some time....i just saw it for the 2nd time undisturbed (my first viewing was a bit choppy, lol , i think I had company over and wasnt able to concentrate).

Whoever says Val Kilmer is a no good actor is a blind lemming IMHO. I loved him in Wonderland as well (in keeping with the drug theme here). His acting depicts a range of human emotions in this film that will leave you breathless.

Another fantastic actor is Vincent d Onofrio in the role of nose-less Pooh bear....i love him. lol.

One of my all time favorite drug movies for sure.

darko_e said:
spuns not suppose to be a feel good movie, its the reality of meth heads, the salton sea wasnt as good as i had hoped 2/5

seriously!? The reality of meth heads!? I hung out with a lot of tweakers in my time... and none of them were close to the portrayal in Spun. Sure, Salton Sea was a little contrived as well, but I don't see a whole lot of reviews saying The Salton Sea was "An insane trip into the mind of a meth addict" or "a thought provoking movie", neither of which is true about either movie.

I liked this movie, the characters were rediculous and the situation would never happen in real life. Still, as a movie it was pretty damn cool.