• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

dapurpman

Bluelighter
old-boy-2.jpg

Oldboy is a South Korean film based on a Japanese manga of the same name.

The film won the Grand Prix at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival and high praise from the President of the Jury, director Quentin Tarantino, who couldn't persuade the members of the jury to give it the Palme d'Or over Fahrenheit 9/11. Critically, the movie has been well received in the United States, with an 81% "Certified Fresh" rating at Rottentomatoes.com; well known film critic Roger Ebert has claimed Oldboy to be a "powerful film". The film has also been voted onto the IMDb Top 250 by IMDb users.

as mia wallace would say "i said god damn, god damn", this movie fuckin blew me away. watchin it i was like "this is gonna be one of my favorites"

in short without revealin too much if anything at all, the main character is kidnapped and held captive for 15 years, lets just say shit isn't what it seems.

the cinematography is beautiful, the score is outstanding, n' great acting. it has it all. bottom line watch this movie!

oh the only reason i "stumbled" upon this movie is because of the virginia tech massacre. the shooter we all know was, the korean guy cho-seung hui, this movie is korean, but a picture of him posing, raising a hammer is an imitation from a scene in this movie. (below are the two pictures in the nsfw jus to save space)

NSFW:
oldboy1.jpg

2007_04_18t193700_450x308_us_usa_crime_shooting.jpg

trailer @ http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/old_boy.html

Last edited:
i was pretty high when i watched this and was both delighted and disappointed.

the first half of the movie was great - a mind-bending idea executed really well but as it went on, it really started to lose my attention and i ultimately felt it was just good, not great.

alasdair

It was one of the first Chinese flicks I'd ever seen but it was def worth it. I loved it , hence why I have seen it more than once.

:)

alasdairm said:
i was pretty high when i watched this and was both delighted and disappointed.

same here, enjoyed it but saw it coming and lost interest as it went on

yet to see the other vengeance movies to see how they compare

NBlueEyesR04 said:
It was one of the first Chinese flicks I'd ever seen...
it's not from china - it's from south korea.

alasdair

i really loved old boy, especially the long-take fight scene in the hallway. did that remind anyone else of a side-scrolling beat em' up?

Mr. Apol said:
the long-take fight scene in the hallway. did that remind anyone else of a side-scrolling beat em' up?

definetly, i thought to myself "that shits like a video game" it was hilarious watchin him handle those fools with that knife in his back, LOL.

the 2nd half > end was great, i read the actor playin daesu improvised alot of his lines at the end with woo-jin. i ordered the other 2 films from the director's "vengence trilogy" cant wait to see em!

I loved Oldboy, the scene where he kicks 30 dudes' asses in the hallway was amazing because there are seemingly no cuts, its just one long scene.
I never drew the parallels between the VT massacre kid and the movie guy until I saw those two pictures put together.

dapurpman said:
i ordered the other 2 films from the director's "vengence trilogy" cant wait to see em!

Oh man, you're in for a treat! :)

Although it's not my favourite of the "Vengeance Trilogy" (that's Lady Vengeance) I nevertheless loved Old Boy. Utterly gripping from start to finish, it's a very powerful piece of film-making. Chan-wook Park is a truly superb director.

Excellent movie, and I'd say one of the best soundtracks I have ever heard. Its just that the movie is missing something, and I'm not sure what it is. 4/5.

i know this will sound crazy but there is a bollywood remake of this movie called 'zinda'.

i watched it and, while i was very high and enjoyed it on that level, i was left feeling "why did they bother?"

alasdair

Oh my god, I would love to see that, even just for the novelty

dshock said:
Oh my god, I would love to see that, even just for the novelty
No. No you wouldn't. I'd rather sit through a Police Academy marathon on USA completely censored than watch that shitty ripoff again.

You know there was actually a reality tv show just like Old Boy in Japan.
They took this guy and gave him an outline that he would be locked in a room, and that they would film certain parts of his isolated experience.

In the room was only a stack of cards, envelopes, and a bunch of magazines. He had to win his food from the magazines via contests.
What he didn't know was that the entire thing was filmed,
and it spanned Years.
He even won a tv, which he was really happy about, but they didn't give him any cable because he would of found out he was on weekly television.
Afterwards, he was a huge celebrity, his journal was a best-seller and he made mucho denero.

Which... is a much happier ending than fucking your daughter, cutting off your own tongue, and prostrating yourself to some psychotic sadistic asshole.

HisNameIsFrank said:
No. No you wouldn't. I'd rather sit through a Police Academy marathon on USA completely censored than watch that shitty ripoff again.

Hahahhahaha,
well-when you put it that way.............