Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Psych Doc turning me into a 'speed freak'

scream

Bluelighter
After taking Methylphenidate for some time my GP hounded me to go and see a Psych, i did and he gave me Amphetamines-Dex. My GP was obviously not happy with this as he had a Methylphenidate script, at a higher dose than usual waiting for me.

he has basically given up on me and is giving me Methylphenidate at higher levels than ever, my hospital admissions and psych contact no doubt reinforce in his mind i'm crazy.

Everyone told me to keep on taking/asking for higher doses of Dex than i was getting, but Methyl is fine.

What gives?8(

Damn, some people have all the luck... LOL.

Umm, but seriously... just talk to your doctor, open up a conversation, whatever. Or find another doctor that will listen to you. Don't take any drug that doesn't feel right to you, it's your body.

Dextroamphetamine:(

"luck"-as in being given Dexamphetamine?-he started me at 20mgs daily and this easy going Psych would go to ~80mgs if required he said (16 pills daily-5mgIR) my brain seems to prefer Ritalin and has been conditioned so for several years, 100mgs of the stuff.

I'd rather not add an amphetamine addiction to my benzo dependance-althought i'm pretty dependant on Methylphenidate.

I console mysely in the fact that it's apparently a 'mild stimulant'

I trust my psych more than i do my GP, not because he has several more years off uni behind him, but because my consults go for an hour or longer sometimes even two hours. My GP and I have a little chat about things gives me my script for what ever and i'm out in usaully ten mins. I'm not saying my GP is crap he is just busy, whereas my Psych has a genuine interest in how i'm feeling and coping, and has a special interest in drug use in younger people.

I showed him bluelight (i didn't tell him my bluelight name) and a week later he thanked me for opening his eyes to what is really going on out there. His knowledge on drugs used to come from his book shelve and from medical jornals and as well my favorite ch. 10 news.

When i am waiting in the waiting room for an hour and a bit i don't get shitty cause i know he his in his room helping people the best he can. I usually just tell the receptionist i'm gonna grab a coffee and ring me when he's done. I think of my psych more as a friend than a health professional.

In screams case i'd stick with the Methylphenidate as you said yourself it feels right. I also find it odd he wanted you to see a psych, then when you did he wasn't happy with the outcome, I would off though he would off taken the info from the psych on board not gotten shitty about it, whats the point off a second opinion if they don't wanna hear it????

I thank you very much for your open and honest reply-THANKS

"I also find it odd he wanted you to see a psych, then when you did he wasn't happy with the outcome, I would off though he would off taken the info from the psych on board not gotten shitty about it, whats the point off a second opinion if they don't wanna hear it????"

Yes quite, but i guess he wasn't happy scripting Amphetamines to me. Funnily enought when i rang for an appointment the receptionist told me there was a script for Ritalin, SR+IR waiting for me to pick up-the first time this has happened in 2.5 years of seeing him, he did however raise my Methylphenidate dose after i informed him that the generic was weaker than brand Ritalin SR20 which isn't subsidised now.

He works in addiction medicine and is probably not the best Doc to treat someone like me who requires controlled meds to treat their condition.

I didn't take well to Dexamphetamine, i felt like i was 'loosing it' despite the fact that i'v been treated with Methylphenidate for years

I thank you for your reply.

Teddles said:
I showed him bluelight (i didn't tell him my bluelight name) and a week later he thanked me for opening his eyes to what is really going on out there. His knowledge on drugs used to come from his book shelve and from medical jornals and as well my favorite ch. 10 news.

Just want to clarify, what did you mean by that? Was he surprised by how young people used illicit drugs or how they used/abused prescription meds?

Also, it's good to hear you have that sort of relationship with your psych.

Kinda both but a bit more. My psych is kinda young in terms off psychs, probably just under forty; He assumed when people come in and ask straight up for scripts it was for rec. use not rec and health issues, He had No idea about CWE, He was surprised that the members would ask advice from other members before using substances they had aquired, not just use the substance and see what happened, Although he doesn't condone the use of Pills, he was glad that people are testing them with kits and then reporting back to the site to warn of dodgey Pills, he was quite shocked about bad practices with needles, It renenforced his view about prescribing xanax.

He really liked the idea of no dealing, sources etc. otherwise it would probably be like Ebay.