Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

film: Best in Show (2000)

Belisarius

Bluelighter
Has anyone seen this movie?

For the record, I'm not a dog (let alone dog show) person, yet I found this movie singularly hilarious; it's amazing how each of the actors chews up the scenery while barely interacting with the others over the course of the movie. Not to mention that I think it's highly quotable. How can you not like lines like:

"She was very popular in high school--she had dozens of boyfriends."

"We met at Starbucks...actually, we met at two Starbucks that were right across the street from each other...then I go in, and she's using a Mac, and I'm using a Mac..."

Any other admirers?

P.S.--I doesn't hurt that I think Parker Posey is teh hotness.

most of the christopher guest et al stuff is good. best in show is no exception.

(for your consideration is. ugh.)

ya, my spider sense went off regarding for you consideration

best in show is great though. Probably my favorite Guest movie.

Best in Show has everything -- characters, story, dialogue -- working well together. Guest doesn't always pull it off that perfectly.

my scorecard reads spinal tap > best in show or a mighty wind tied > guffman > consideration.

I find alot of people saying the "...Consideration" is not worth catching, but I really enjoyed it. I don't see why past fans of Guest don't enjoy this.

woah, I just watched A Mighty Wind for the first time the other day, by a bunch of my musician friends. what a fucking hilarious movie! it's like Spinal Tap but for folk. and then, even more coincidentally, my girlfriend was telling me how I should watch this random movie she watched, Best In Show, because it was fucking hilarious. she was quoting the Starbucks scene and the many scenes where the dude's wife is a whore. I will watch this flick!

Good lord this movie was pointless, The only saving grace in this dismal waste of production $ was the performance of the actress Catherine O'Hara (check out 1989's Beetlejuice for an acting clinic in manic yuppiedom)

Oh and Eugene Levey is always good as well. I'll forever remember the first time I saw him in the 1980's series Tales From The Dark Side. He played the unfortunate patient in an episode entitled "DR. A. Cula" (brilliant, I know). This 'doctor' would remove the bones of the hapless victim, and poor Eugene was forever horrifyingly etched in my then 9 year old soul as his unfortunate 'patient'. The shot of his grotesquely quivering (yet alive) boneless body gave me nightmares for months. How's that for some extremely useless and obscure trivia.

Last edited:
i must find a copy of this. I enjoyed the shit out of it several years ago when it was playing on cable.

i enjoyed For Your Consideration but there wasn't a lot there in terms of story. it was tough staying interested too. A Mighty Wind and Best in Show were so creative and original that Consderation was kinda a letdown. though it was still better than most stuff that's out in the past couple of years. it might have been a difficult act to follow the last two...