• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Eating several unhealthy things daily

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrs-mojo-risin

Bluelighter
Is it bad to eat a few things high in calories and fat (such as muffins, cakes, ice cream, chocolates, or take-out) everyday even if you're eating less than 1700 calories and 45 grams of fat in total for the day?

I recently started working at a bakery that makes irresistible pastries and other baked goods and I have a very hard time resisting so I end up eating these unhealthy things almost everyday. I don't work out but I do count calories (I used to have a mild eating disorder and I still can't shake myself of some of the habits) and so I still and try and make sure I'm not eating more calories than I normally would and I still make sure that I eat enough from all the food groups. But still, is this bad for me to be eating so many sweet, unhealthy things on a daily basis?

You said it yourself, you eating unhealthy things. The key word is UNHEALTHY. Don't sweat it though, I eat unhealthy shit everyday. I haven't had so much as a single vegetable in years.

high in sugar - refined sugar of all things - and high in refined flour and hydrogenated fats. of course it is bad for you. my guess is that if you compensate for that by reducing your calorie/fat intake of other more wholesome things, your diet will lack essential nutrients and possibly fibre as well. if you eat all them bad things and then add enough other things to get all your minerals/vitamins and whathave you, then I'd imagine your overall diet would make you gain weight.

Refined sugar and refined flour are very bad news and are said to deplete the body of minerals/vitamins.

^Ditto.
I completely cut out flour products/white stuff/refined sugars from my diet for roughy 6 months. I never felt better nor 'cleaner'. Being human, I caved in sometime last month ;) I now allow myself a little bit of the stuff I totally forbade myself to eat (a little fruitcake, cereal, etc.lol...)
I dunno I still feel kinda dirty and "heavy" after. Must....stop!

craystalcallas -- 6months, wow... I couldn't cut that out for 1 week.

I don't know how vegans or vegetarians do it. Crazy.

mrs-mojo-risin said:
But still, is this bad for me to be eating so many sweet, unhealthy things on a daily basis?

You're asking the question, so you already know it's bad for you. :)

Something to look for in healthy foods in addition to low-fat/calories is the sugar content. No more than 2 grams a day. If you are eating/drinking most of your calories in sweets, you've got to make some diet changes to feel healthy (and trust me, you will once you stop taking so much sugar every day).

It's so hard to resist those sweet treats, but your body wants good sugar/carbs like what is in oranges. Now THOSE are the best candy. Nature's candy. And it wants other fruits, vegetables, and lean protein. Not a Ho-Ho or Hershey's Kiss.

I say allow yourself a treat once in a while, but remember if you can't pronounce it or what's in it, you probably shouldn't be consuming it.

>>but remember if you can't pronounce it or what's in it, you probably shouldn't be consuming it.>>

This is indubitably by far the most compelling reason to pursue an advanced education. ;)

ebola

crystalcallas said:
^Ditto.
I completely cut out flour products/white stuff/refined sugars from my diet for roughy 6 months.

I so want to do this! But it takes so damn much willpower :\ Especially with a sweet tooth like mine.

crystalcallas said:
Being human, I caved in sometime last month ;) (...) Must....stop!

tell me about it

i wish i practised wat i preach... i manage to eat healthy al day and then come evening i go for the chocolate...

ebola? said:
>>but remember if you can't pronounce it or what's in it, you probably shouldn't be consuming it.>>

This is indubitably by far the most compelling reason to pursue an advanced education. ;)

ebola

And to think... I thought it was to make more money! :)

I'm starting to get into a healthier lifestyle, and I feel a lot better without all the crap. You might not realize it until you get it totally out of your system, but it's so worth it! And... when you go to have that piece of chocolate after not having had any for a while, it tastes AMAZING.

I totally understand what you are going through!

I work at a coffee shop and we have muffins, pound cake, cookies etc. Sometimes we can't sell them because they are slightly "stale", so they are up for grabs. Its always hard right before my period because they look so good!

Don't worry though, you'll get sick of them. Also I started bringing snacks to work such as oranges, almonds or yogurt. They are filling but in a good way, and I find my energy actually goes up when I eat them.

Another rule I kinda try to live by is good carbs (bran, whole wheat bread) when I start the day, and veggies and protein as the day winds down.

Gahh why do such bad things have to taste so damn good! I have been feeling shittier and with less energy than usual lately so I think I am gonna try and reduce my sugar intake and increase my fibre. 2g of sugar seems way too little too me though.. hell, one bowl of Special K has something like 15g!

mrs-mojo-risin said:
Gahh why do such bad things have to taste so damn good! I have been feeling shittier and with less energy than usual lately so I think I am gonna try and reduce my sugar intake and increase my fibre. 2g of sugar seems way too little too me though.. hell, one bowl of Special K has something like 15g!

Well, the 2 grams isn't a hard and fast rule, it's my rule because I'm trying to lose weight. Been on too many diet boards lately and just assumed you were doing the same. Sorry. :)

I recommend setting yourself an "allowance" each week. I've found that's the easiest for me, especially when I go into insanity mode (mild BDD and had an anorexia problem for a short while). Don't count those calories in your 1700. As others have mentioned, you'll end up replacing lots of good stuff with only a little of the bad stuff. A healthier alternative is to allow yourself a certain amount of "naughty" calories each week. If you want to blow all of them at once on a really delectable souffle, go for it, but then you don't get anything the rest of the week. I tend to opt the other way, which is to have one or two chocolate squares, or something else small like that, each day.

Another great way to do it is to balance out your "naughty calories" with exercise so you can up your naughty calorie intake a little bit. But obviously you still want to keep that number low because even if you burn off all 3000 calories you ate, that's still a lot of refined sugars/starches and saturated fats, which are really bad for you. I try to keep my "naughty" limit at about 1000-1500 calories a week when I'm having psychological problems (when I'm depressed, or back when I still had my period PMSing, there is no way in hell I can go below that), and about 500 when I'm actually trying to stay healthy. You'd be surprised how much fun you can have with 500 calories if you play your cards right. :)

Same thing happened to me managing a dairy queen. I ride 20-30 miles a day on my mountain bike though, so I didnt gain alot of weight.

1700 calories!!?

You people are starving your bodies... get eating!

I'm 137lbs (just weighed then) and I eat 4500 calories daily, very simple.

mrs-mojo-risin said:

Yep.....I'm an an avid ingredient reader. My eyes zoom in on the carbohydrate/sugar content of EVERY product I intend to buy and consume and it really makes a huge difference when you know exactly what you have to avoid!

So you honestly calculate your marconutrients into your diet? Do you plan your complete amino acid profile for the week? Do you provide information on both short and long acting sachharides?

oops. I meant 2g per meal. sorry... wasn't paying attention!

chubba - wow! that's a lot of calories! are you male or female? highly active? I, up until very recently was a sedentary person and ate a lot more than I realized I was. now, I am eating only around 1500 calories a day in addition to the exercise to lose weight. to maintain my current weight is like 2300 calories or something like that. I'm sure in order to stay slim you are expending a lot of energy! or you just have a very fast metabolism. lucky you!

Yes I am extremely active, physical movement is what we're designed to do.

I eat close to 100% raw... I don't cook any of my fruit, vegetables, salad, fish and sometimes red meat. This gives me 110% of my vitamins and minerals, keeps me 110% full, costs me a shithole of money though.

Regular as clockwork. Maybe get sick once every 2 - 3 years. Have a sick day off work every 5 years.

So yeah, good diet = life.

Research Ross Horne if you want a good role model, bloody awesome. I should really load some more pics up... but anyway
troy.jpg

That's someone that eats nearly 5000 calories a day, everyday. I am around 10% bodyfat there 130lbs. You people got nutrition all wrong, you are gaining weight because you're starving your bodies. I wish I could get up to 180 - 190lb... but I do bulk cycles of 6000 calories and still have trouble keeping the weight on naturally (I really dislike steroids).

EDIT: Really like this one too
armjumpuu6.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.