• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The all-new Girlie Thread: Post your beauty secrets here!

Strawberry_lovemuffin

Bluelighter
I just realised our old girlie thread is long gone! Let's start another.

Here's some of my favourites at the mo.

* Revlon 12-hour eyeshadow pallette in "Coffee Bean" - best 4 natural 'brownish' colours I've ever come across, including a light one as a highlighter.

* Napolean fake eyelashes... must admit I've only used these once (I purchased them after becoming a fan of the fake lashes at my wedding), and they are *tricky*. But they look fucking amazing if you get it right.

* Garnier shampoo/conditioner.... from the supermarket, the green bottles. For cheap stuff, really very good! Also I'm loving Schwarzkopf 'Colour Shine Mask' - it's a treatment in a silver pot you can also buy from the supermarkets, it leaves even my processed hair really silky.

So right now I'm looking for a hair straightener. I really don't want to spend over $200 but I do want something as good as a GHD. The Remington one I bought for probably $40 3 years ago is a piece of crap. What's y'all thoughts on the Aussie equivalent, the Silver Bullet?

Last edited by a moderator:
full.paper-bag.jpg

A friend of mine has an "ugly" paper bag stuck to the back of his toilet.

The only beauty tip I can offer at the moment is paw-paw ointment (and i've already mentioned it). I'm feeling totally crappy at the moment (crappiness is of an unknown origin :\), so don't much feel like prettying up.

Go GHD hon. All I've seen and heard is that you simply can't go back once you've used one. :|
They also do trade ins for old straighteners, might be worth looking into that. I want one soooo badly but haven't been able to justify it just yet..

My beauty love at the moment is Mirenesse secret weapon mascara.
Really separates my lashes and doesn't clump!!! Amazing.
Also defines really nicely, and seems to add a bit of curl and length which I really like.

Also, after using a Dior eyeshadow compact I'm never, ever going back to cheaper brands.
This stuff is so smooth and actually lasts on the part of my eye it's applied. No smudging throughout the day, and perfect blending. It's truly awesome stuff. :)
Admittedly it would want to be at $50- a pallette, but this stuff has honestly lasted me 6 months of continuous wear.

CHiLD-0F-THE-BEAT said:
My beauty love at the moment is Mirenesse secret weapon mascara.
Really separates my lashes and doesn't clump!!! Amazing.
Also defines really nicely, and seems to add a bit of curl and length which I really like.

ALWAYS interested in good mascaras. My current love is DiorShow... which I bought from strawberrynet (twice now) after your link/recommendation to that site.

Strawberry_lovemuffin said:
So right now I'm looking for a hair straightener. I really don't want to spend over $200 but I do want something as good as a GHD. The Remington one I bought for probably $40 3 years ago is a piece of crap. What's y'all thoughts on the Aussie equivalent, the Silver Bullet?

SLM, if you don't want to spend $200+ on a GHD, there is another straightener on the market which is also very very good. It's the WAHL CUTEK 'CERAMIC' STRAIGHTENER and it retails for about $79.95 and I know that places like 'Price attack' sell them. It also comes in both PINK and BLACK

Features

• Professional high temperature ceramic coated plates

• Light weight and compact design

• Featuring a self regulated temperature system

• Slim plates for root to tip action

• Operation light

• 2.8m swivel cord

• Max temperature 200ºC

I have had the same one for the past 2 years and it's fantastic. I have used both the GHD and the WAHL and while the Ghd is beautiful to use, the whal would be my next choice.

When looking for hair straighteners you want something that is going to smooth your hair cuticle down. Chemicals like the ones used to colour your hair and just everyday haircare can damage the outer cuticle. When your hair is damaged it can create "fuzzy bits" or "fly away's". Straightening your hair will smooth the cuticle back onto the hair shaft, which will leave you will healthy and shiny looking hair.

One last piece of advice, make sure you go for a Ceramic straighteners, anything else will damage your hair.

Hope this helps a little :D

Something to think about SLM: When you're buying a straightener, and if you can afford it, get a full-ceramic straightener, not a ceramic coated one. If you scratch the plates at all, the ceramic-coated will start burning your hair.

I have a nice fake-GHD Stefan straightener, it cost $160, but i've had it for 2 years as well, and it's brilliant. It straightens my hair really well, and i don't blow-dry mine first... you've seen my hair too, so you'd know that getting the stuff straight is no mean feat. ;)

The only other beauty thing i can reccommend right now is the Kerastase hair range. Makes my scalp and hair great, and really defines my curls, without having to use a heap of post wash product.

Calling for opinions on moisturisers with tanner.

Not so impressed with Johnsons.

But am I spoiled with post-WA skin at present?

I use the DOVE Summer Glow, body lotion. It's quite good, and I think I only pay about $7 for it. I also tried the Johnsons one and didn't like it. Besides the fact I had a reaction to it and scratched myself silly, only to leave broken blood vessels all up my arms that look similar to track marks8o I also found it to have a nasty smell and the results weren't very good IMO.:p

The Dove one is good if you don't want to spent to much on something that you are going to be always washing off and re-applying every 5 days or so. Otherwise I have heard that the new L'OREAL NutriSummer is very good, I think you can pick it up for about $14.45

:)

SLM if you're not averse to shopping online, or buying things from Britain, you can get a GHD iron from this website for considerably cheaper than in Aus - even after the currency conversion. You can also buy the power plug converter from here.
http://www.hqhair.com/code/products.asp?PageID=362&SectionID=374&FeaturedProduct=977&pID=1
So thats $230 including postage for something that you pay up to $300 for here.

I frequent the Vogue Australia forum a lot and most of the girls on there have bought theirs from this site.

As for the tanning moisturiser, I'm using the Garnier one at the moment. Its more of a lotion in comparison to the Dove one but it has a much more even colour and is quite subtle. You can layer it for quite a few days whereas with the Dove one, it became patchy if I'd been applying it for more than 4 days. :)

my hair straightener is a wigo, one my hairdresser got for me years back, and is still working fine, even with my mistreatment of it! Its not as pricey as a GHD, and I must admit, if I'd had the money back then, I would have preffered a GHD but it does the job fine. If I was wanting to straighten my hair more than once or twice a week though, I think I'd have moved onto a GHD.

I'm trying to find a really good shampoo and conditioner at the moment. My hair tends to get a little dry sometimes. I was using the ABBA aromatherapy range (oh the smell of tha bathroom after I washed my hair was DEVINE!), but I haven't found any hairdressers around here that stock it, or have even heard of it! Half tempted to get mum to go to my old hairdresser and buy out her stock and send it to me!

I'm a big fan of Dior products too. Luckily for me my Nana used to use Dior stuff, and was always buying things to get the freebie sample things that came with it, and would give them to me. Eyeshadow, mascara, lipsticks, lipglosses, perfumes etc etc. Oh and estee lauder ones too. My Nana passed away nearly a year ago and at Christmas I was getting to the end of my supply, thinking I'd finally have to go and actually pay for some of this stuff, but my mum discovered in amongst Nana's cupboard she had stocked up on things for me- when I said I liked the sample eyeshadow whatever, she went out and bought a few of them for me. So my supply is set! :) I will cry when I have to start forking out the $$ for my favourites though!

Favourite moisturiser of the moment: basic Sorbolene. My flatmate gave me a tube of Redwin Sorbolene moisturiser for sensitive skin in my christmas stocking, and it is the absolute best. I was a bit skeptical at first that the el cheapo stuff would be better than the pricey stuff I usually buy, but its been great!

Oh another thing I love: Mary K Satin Hands set. Love the feel of my hands after using that!

I love DiorShow too...Once you get used to the giant brush that is!
I haven't bought a full size one yet, just got the samples Marie Claire have given away on their mags.

Nicstar have you tried Matrix shampoos? They're usually a fave of mine.
I'm using MOP at the moment and love it.

ladies, what are your opinions of lancome?

i've been using their homme moisturizer for the past month or so and have just run out, contemplating buying more but at $60 per 50ml i'm wondering how their reputation is in women's products, are they overpriced? i drink heavily, smoke moderately, and rarely leave my house, so my skin is bad from time to time yet their products restore it to normal within 24 hours, something nivea priced products could never do.

i await condemnation from people opposed to my views in the fur thread for i'm sure lancome probably tests on animals. i use pps haircare (which is animal friendly) if that evens things out. if you saw my face before lancome you'd forgive.

iamtha1 said:
Really? I came in here to recommend NOT getting Dior Show. I bought it only a month ago and it is the clumpiest mascara I've ever tried. I admit it does great things in lengthening my lashes but clumps them so I look like a drag queen. So disappointed! :(

REALLY? How bizarre. I've had mine a good 3 months now and it's never clumped once (and I know exactly what you mean by clumping.. I hate that).

How odd.

It's by far the best mascara I've found so far. I usually have 3 different mascaras on the go and I always end up using the Dior, even for work days, because I love it so much.

COTB: that straightener sounds good to me!

kitty: thankyou for that link! I'll check it out.

joannie: I have that website bookmarked, I read it several times a week. Hilarious.

A very interesting quote from the blog i mentioned before, about sun protection.

Don't be this guy: :X

So, to prevent you

A. Getting skin cancer

B. Looking ten years older than you really are

C. From losing your beautiful skin

I'm going to explain SPF to you. ( I didn't know how it worked till a few months back, so i'm guessing you won't either. Presumptuous is my favourite colour.)

First important thing: Everyone has a burn time, which is how long you can last in the sun until your skin reddens. Fair skinned humans in 'Straya usually get less than five minutes. Fruity is olive-skinned, but she still only lasts around 10 minutes.

Second important thing: The SPF number concerns time, not strength. SPF 30 is not stronger than SPF 15, it just means you get 30 times your burn time of sun protection, whereas with SPF 15, you only get 15 times your burn time.

Third important thing: Lather it in sunscreen it every day, but still never expose your face to the sun. Dumb.

Fourth important thing: Everyone has a maximum sun exposure time per 24 hours. That's it. No more. You find this by multiplying your burn time (so, mine is 10 minutes) by the sun protection you use (I always use SPF 30). Which in my case, gives me a maximum sun exposure time of THREE HUNDRED MINUTES.

Clinique explains this rather complex idea using the Chicken Theory, which I loved so much I stole to use here:

Let's say a chicken takes an hour to bake. If you put a chicken in marinade and cook it for 50 minutes, then remove it to re-baste, IT WILL STILL BE COOKED IN TEN MINUTES TIME. You don't get another hour of cooking time just cause you re-basted. At one hour, that bird is cooked. And any more time in the oven will just burn it.

How this relates to you: Your maximum sun exposure time is your chicken time. So, once you've reached your sun exposure for the day, that's it. You don't get anymore; your skin can't deal with anymore. Not even if you re-apply more sunscreen. (Re-applying only replaces your protection barrier after swimming or sweating - it doesn't give you more time.)

The only time you get a clean slate for more sun exposure is after the hours of 12am and 4am, which is when your skin cells regenerate.

Not by going inside for lunch, or having a kip, or going to see The Holiday, but after your body has had a chance to process and try and cope with the free-radical damage you've already hurled at it the day before. But that's another post.

CHiLD-0F-THE-BEAT said:
Admittedly it would want to be at $50- a pallette, but this stuff has honestly lasted me 6 months of continuous wear.
Wow, you put it on in October? 8o :D

Silvia Saint, Lancome moisturisers are unnecessarily pricey. Don't feel the need to restrict yourself to 'Mens' products, there's no need, and they are often harsher. www.makeupalley has lots of reviews for different products, have a look on their if you like.

I bought a L'oreal Glam Shine lipgloss the other day, and its shit because it actually dries out my lips. For fucks sake, I'm not expecting much from a lipgloss, but that is really irritating.