• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: New York Stories

Benefit

Bluelighter
This movie was a collaborative project, with Martin Scorsese, Woody Allen and Francis Ford Coppola each contributing one short film. Each short is set in New York, obviously.

The film is pretty under-hyped, but you should really check it out for Scorsese's contribution, Life Lessons. It is the first segment. It stars Nick Nolte and Rosanna Arquette, with appearances by Steve Buscemi. This is easily Nick Nolte's best acting performance. He plays a famous New York painter trying to crank out some abstract paintings in time for a gallery opening. I'm not a fan of post-modern Jackson Pollock-style painting, but Scorsese really makes it jump out at you. The camerawork is incredible. It's a really amazing film and it works perfectly as a short.

Coppola's film, Life Without Zoe, is about a spoiled child in Manhattan. The production quality is high and I liked the acting. The story sucks. And Talia Shire pops up in it. I fucking hate that about Coppola. Most people think this is the weakest segment of the three, but I kind of liked it. It's a mixed bag.

Woody Allen's contribution, Oedipus Wrecks, is patented Woody Allen and Larry David (with a surprising amount of hair) has as a bit part in it. But when you've seen one Woody Allen film, you feel like you've seen them all. I wasn't that impressed.

Check out this film just for Scorsese's segment. It's worth it.

New York Stories