• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

China executed 32 people who were sentenced to death for drug-related crimes

buffalo_bill

Bluelighter
http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/east/06/26/china.executions.ap/index.html
SHANGHAI, China (AP) -- China executed 32 people who were sentenced to death for drug-related crimes at public rallies held nationwide to mark a United Nations anti-drug day, officials and state media said Wednesday.
Thousands of people gathered Tuesday at auditoriums and stadiums to watch the rallies, which are held every year to observe International Anti-Drug Day on June 26. U.N. officials have said they do not condone the executions.
Another 76 accused drug criminals were given prison terms of up to life at the rallies.
In Shanghai, judges condemned three men on drug-trafficking charges in front of more than 1,000 people in a public auditorium.
The three were immediately taken in handcuffs to an undisclosed location in Shanghai's northern suburbs and shot, said a spokesman for the Shanghai Higher People's Court, which organized the rally.
Executions in China are usually by gunshot to the back of the head or chest.
The three men executed in Shanghai were found guilty of smuggling heroin, Ecstasy and crystal methamphetamine -- better known as "ice" -- said the spokesman, who gave only his family name, Huang.
He said that another 52 people accused of drug crimes got prison terms of a few years to life.
Drugs burned
In the southwest city of Chengdu, nine men were shot after a rally in which thousands cheered as police burned piles of seized heroin and Ecstasy, a state-run newspaper said.
Five more people were given suspended death sentences, which are usually reduced to life sentences for good behavior, said the Sichuan Zaixian Yitianfu newspaper.
Sixteen people were executed in the southeast province of Fujian after rallies in three cities.
Some of the 16 were accused of being members of a gang that bought guns to protect its drug-smuggling and producing operations, the China News Service said. It said another nine people were given jail terms.
In the central province of Anhui, two people were executed following a rally, the Jianghui Morning Post said. It said four others were given suspended death sentences.
Police in Beijing executed two people for selling Ecstasy, the Beijing Morning Post said.
In a separate case, the Beijing No. 2 Intermediate People's Court issued suspended death sentences to two people and jail terms to four others all from the northwest region of Xinjiang, the newspaper said. It said the six were found guilty of smuggling heroin.
The reports could not be immediately confirmed.
This pisses me off so bad, people cheered while humans where killed in public probably with out fair trials

This sent chills down my spine.
Sounds like they treated it like a pop concert, hey everyone come and cheer while we condem a human life to death.

kill the ones with drug charges and give the ones with weapons charges?
WHAT A BUNCH OF JACKOFFS~!!

cant describe it under any other terms than mass murder.
i'm wondering why it hasnt received greater media coverage in the west.

That sucks. Why aren't all the Anti-US folks on here clamoring for more rights for the Chinese???????

Ok....selling guns and drugs are bad, but being executed for it??? This literally makes me sick to my stomach. I cant imagine the feeling of being sentenced to death and then 2 hours later it happening. Its life!!!! No one can decide to take that away from someone, especially for giving something (drugs) to people who want them.

It would have been funny to see them burn a big pile of weed and see everyone around it high...lol
Imagine all the Chinese officials with the munchies hehe
[ 30 June 2002: Message edited by: clubber5524 ]

wow this is pretty amazing. i'm living in shanghai at the moment, and was just discussing over the weekend that i havn't and won't be taking any drugs whilst here because of the whole risk issue.
the other thing we were commenting on was how the news services for the forieners are all propoganda. we were watching the english news service last night on cctv 4, and it was all happy good news about how australia is benefiting from better trade relations with china, and as a result queensland nut growers are selling all their nuts to china and increasing production by 20%. i'm australian and i don't really give 2 shits about this. then there was some bullshit story about how australians are increasingly learning chinese. the only thing even remotely newsworthy was about north and south korea shooting at each other again.
sorry to steal the thread, for a bit, but i found this pretty curious.

The fact that they would execute dope users and sellers, for obvious reason's that they think: Drugs are bad for you and shouldn't be taken.
HERE'S THE IRONY, LADIES AND GENTELMAN
They are killing people when they are against death from drugs.
I think death from ignorance is much worse.

No, China is againest disobdience, all their laws are harsh and unjust. I love how even thou drug dealers and smugglers are executed, you can still get drugs in China. Proof that humans will go to any costs to get money, and to get fucked up, I would love for the DEA to explain this, buncha fucking morons.
[ 03 July 2002: Message edited by: twigburst ]

i would just like to note that china is not the only country where this kind of thing occures.
when i was living in thailand ealier this year, 19 people were given the death penalty for drugs related offences, and another 12 a few days later. sure they got a trial, but when the government is making a statement to other would be offenders, does the trial really mean anything? perhaps merely a formality.
as probably said earlier - people who visit these countries are aware of the risks involved (and if they aren't they must seriously live with their heads in the sand).
i'm not saying it's right, but it's not like they're new laws...

I hope you are all aware that executions in the U.S. (for terrible acts of MURDER, not drug trafficking) attract a similar carnival atmosphere with people screaming for blood.