• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Dentist Phobia

egor

Bluelighter
I broke a tooth last night and had to go to the dentist today. I got in the chair and had the worst panic attack of my life. My blood pressure hit 190/120 and my pulse hit 140. I threw up hearing the drill in the other room. I have never had such a severe panic attack in my life. The dentist had to stop before finishing fixing the tooth.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent such a bad reaction to just the idea of dentistry. I have had bad tooth pain for 6 years and just dealt with it rather than go to see a dentist.

Anyone here on BL have the same issue??
What can be done about it??

Hey Egor!

I did the same thing the other day- Check it out, #19:
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=289968

Anyway I got it fixed yesterday- didnt need a cap just a refill-Thank goodness!

I dont have a phobia but you just need to take a valium BEFORE you go so you'll be able to sit still and not freak while you request the gas- thats the sedation Oswald is speaking of. You wont care and you do need to get the tooth fixed. And when you get over the phobia go to the dentist regularly- you only got one set of teeth!=D

2 words.

Sedation dentistry.
Spot on.

There are 3 methods that can be used, either seperately or in combination.

Oral sedation (usually a benzodiazepine 60 - 90 minutes prior).

Gaseous sedation (obviously nitrous oxide, good old laughing gas).

Intravenous sedation (the big boy, can be anything from opioids to benzodiazepines, to anaesthetics (propofol / ketamine)).

IV sedation requires a lot of extra qualifications, a lot of general dentists can't perform it (make sure you ask)... but you can request they supply a dental anesthesiologist, or a regular medical anesthesiologist to take care of you.

They deal with people like you daily, it's nothing new.

I was on nitrous and it did not help at all. The other problem is that I am without insurance, so sedation dentistry is not an option:(

Any other ideas??

^
Any other ideas??
Ah, Grin and bear it???????????
dentistfromhell.gif

No JK!, how about a dental school? They are really cheap...

There is not a dental school in the area. I think I will just get like 10mg of klonapin before ever even considering a dentist visit again.

egor said:
I think I will just get like 10mg of klonapin before ever even considering a dentist visit again.
If you gotta get something then do it!
Dont leave the tooth like that though...............

Ah, Grin and bear it???????????
Yeah honestly, stop being a pussy... they're professionals.

I got impacted 2nd molars (+ 4 other teeth) surgically removed (95 minutes) while under a bit of local anaesthetic... the oral and maxillofacial surgeon refused to give me any valium because he said that's an insult to his skill.

xraynew.JPG

I would have told that dentist to go fuck himself, and maybe punched the asshole in the throat.

i love the smell of the dentists office, theyre there to help you, if you go under im sure you wont have a problem, you wont remember anything.

^^ I know they are there to help, but it is a totally abject, nauseating fear that is unexplainable. I know that it is entirely irrational, yet I have no power to effect it in any way when it is happening.

I would have told that dentist to go fuck himself, and maybe punched the asshole in the throat.
He actually refuses any sedation where it's not needed. He sure has a big ego, but apparently he's the best in the city... the operation was extremely comfortable with just local anaesthetic.
i love the smell of the dentists office, theyre there to help you, if you go under im sure you wont have a problem, you wont remember anything.
Of anybody in the whole world, there is nobody I trust more then a dentist. I don't know why, their job just seems to be at the forefront of quality professional care.

Last edited:
I agree with Chubba. I have a really good family dentist. I've had 4 root canals done with LOCAL anaesthetic, injected in and around the gumline and cheek. No benzos, no prescription painkillers, no nitrous. I had a few mefenamic acids (Ponstel) and biogesics after, and that was enough. Come to think about it, compared to the States, nobody having dental procedures back here thinks that they deserve full on sedation or prescription benzos. It's just not necessary.

^^ maybe in your case, but I dont have the luxury of a good family dentist. I had to go to a public health center.

I'd like to add also that taking NSAIDS (particularly mefenamic acid, under N-Arylanthranilic acids [fenamic acids]) helps tremendously with any pain I have after a dental procedure... ( as well as with headaches, menstrual cramps, etc.)
I really dont look for anything else. :) (this is just me of course...;))

Tell your dentist your fear. My dentist sometimes gives a few pills (dont remember what they were though) to relax me and then im just about knocked out im so relaxed. My root canal consisted of taking out 2 teeth that were almost completely sideways... and I was so out of it I barely even noticed what he was doing the whole time.

I dont eat any sweets because I cant handle the dentist chair. Once i smell the drill I get sick.

saycheese.jpg