• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How much has your life changed since you started bodybuilding?

-kOse-

Bluelighter
I'm getting into the fitness and healthy lifestile and i'm already feeling some benefits, like having more energy and being more positive. As i notice this, it really looks like this life stile is more than looking better, its really a big change of life.

So this is for the people who has really introduced themselves into the bodybuilding-healthy scene...How much has your life changed? Which do you thing are the advantages and disadvantages ( of course) of this way o f life?

Thanks

Well, I've stopped BB over the last few months, but I've started back, but I'll tell you about before.

I was an underweight, skinny, unconfident guy. Within a few months, it gave me so much motivation because of all the progress I was making, I felt stronger physically and mentally and it really did change my life. It made me so much more focused with everything i did, from fitness/eating, goal setting, everything.

During the few last years of my life, I have suffered from a quite heavy depresseion, mostly due to low self esteem (as a result of acne and other looks-related issues).

Working out may have made my acne worse, due to raised testo-levels, but it has also given me something to focus on, and a way to get out my anger and frustration. I feel much better now, and I am still working out and living healthy, and I probably will, for the rest of my life.

Note to the OP: If you would like more people to comment I could move this thread to the steroid forum and leave the link here. I just know theres plenty of bbers who frequent that forum.

I can't think of a single disadvantage to bodybuilding at all.

It has improved by confidence, health (strength, immune system, etc), quality of sleep, quality of mood, energy levels, etc. I feel 100x better in every regard and feel like I'm at the best point in my life thanks almost entirely to my weight lifting program. Been working hard at it for over half a year but on/off for 4 years.

I'm not into bodybuilding, but I am into power lifting-type lifting, and a little olympic lifting. I always feel better when I lift, and it's nice to be able to lift heavy stuff without much trouble, while other people gawk.

Can't say it helps me a lot. I've been lifting for 3.5 years now. Eating perfect for 3. Still not remotely considered muscular by anyone. Do all the good lifts; deadlifts, squats, rows. The works. Train 4x a week. Eat about 3500 clean Kcals a day. 3l water. Vitamins and Zinc supplements. Flax Seed Oil. Cod Liver Oil.... Some fruit in the morning, a plate full of vegetables in the evening... Never drink alcohol, take drugs or do anything considered unhealthy (eating candy etc.).

What have I gotten in return? The need to eat every 2/3 hours while I'm awake. Sometimes messes things up when I want to go out for a day.. always have my backpack loaded with food with me. Like I said, need to make frequent stops to eat.. This has gotten so normal for me I can't return to the normal 3 meals a day pattern without feeling like crap all day. Nor do I want to....... But advantages haven't been great so far.

Life sucks for me, eh. Buuut at least working out gives me a reason to get the hell out of my house. LIFT HEAVY OR GO HOME MOTHERFUCKER!! :X

Honestly if you're doing all that and still not getting any results there is something wrong somewhere.

I've been doing the whole healthy lifestyle for about 2 years now and it probably saved my life...It has definately made me more intune with my mind, body, & spirit...it has also helped me learn drug use in moderation and my energy levels are through the roof..I consider myself to be in better physical shape than 75% of the people my age...I'm an endorphin junkie though so I usually just do cardio 4 or 5 days a week..I got to start lifting the weights soon, but I've found that most girls would prefer a 6-pack instead of a big chest, legs, etc....but that's just from my experience..If I had good genetics I would be a meathead...

YHYK6X said:
Can't say it helps me a lot. I've been lifting for 3.5 years now. Eating perfect for 3. Still not remotely considered muscular by anyone. Do all the good lifts; deadlifts, squats, rows. The works. Train 4x a week. Eat about 3500 clean Kcals a day. 3l water. Vitamins and Zinc supplements. Flax Seed Oil. Cod Liver Oil.... Some fruit in the morning, a plate full of vegetables in the evening... Never drink alcohol, take drugs or do anything considered unhealthy (eating candy etc.).

What have I gotten in return? The need to eat every 2/3 hours while I'm awake. Sometimes messes things up when I want to go out for a day.. always have my backpack loaded with food with me. Like I said, need to make frequent stops to eat.. This has gotten so normal for me I can't return to the normal 3 meals a day pattern without feeling like crap all day. Nor do I want to....... But advantages haven't been great so far.

Life sucks for me, eh. Buuut at least working out gives me a reason to get the hell out of my house. LIFT HEAVY OR GO HOME MOTHERFUCKER!! :X

There is no need to eat every 2 or 3 hours. Your body does not go into catabolism after 2 hours. That is just bodybuilding bullshit. Eat 3 nutritious square meals a day, train 3 times a week on heavy compound stuff and give yourself time.

The fact that I can put up my bodyweight from the floor over my head several times in a row is something which cannot be beaten.

El_Toro said:
There is no need to eat every 2 or 3 hours. Your body does not go into catabolism after 2 hours. That is just bodybuilding bullshit. Eat 3 nutritious square meals a day, train 3 times a week on heavy compound stuff and give yourself time.

Wrong. If you have hypoglycemia you must eat every 2-3 hours or you go into a low blood sugar state and its not cool at all. You don't want to be around me if I haven't eatten in 3+ hours.

aanallein said:
Wrong. If you have hypoglycemia you must eat every 2-3 hours or you go into a low blood sugar state and its not cool at all. You don't want to be around me if I haven't eatten in 3+ hours.

I was referring to a bodybuilding context.

And no, I am not wrong, even if hypoglycemic, if you make the right food choices, there is no need to eat every 2-3 hours.

Hypoglycemia can be induced by body building especially on a cut and there is no way I could eat 3 balanced meals a day and not crash at some point, no matter the types of foods eatten. I assume you're referring to low GI sources.. it won't matter. I'll crash before the next meal.

El_Toro said:
And no, I am not wrong, even if hypoglycemic, if you make the right food choices, there is no need to eat every 2-3 hours.
Oh really? Thats funny because my understanding of the human body is different.

Our gut/digestive system is a sponge, just waiting to be given food. Once ingested we can sock away a meal (to large intestine) in 2 hrs. Even the largest fattiest meals are digested fairly quickly. Our bodies are set up for quick loading and slow unloading. It is competitively advantageous to avoid starvation and maximize eating oppertunities.

2hrs+ is coasting. Just because your body is in an overall catabolic state (using stored glycogen/fat for energy) doesn't mean it is unhealthy. Those individuals sensitive to hypoglycemia notice it alot more, and it effects them much more. You and I (normal) could go the entire day without eating, with stable blood glucose due to catabolic activity.

That is what we eat for, and that is why we restore glycogen when trying to gain weight. That way, when you go catabolic you will be burning glycogen rather than muscle/fat.

aanallein said:
Hypoglycemia can be induced by body building especially on a cut and there is no way I could eat 3 balanced meals a day and not crash at some point, no matter the types of foods eatten. I assume you're referring to low GI sources.. it won't matter. I'll crash before the next meal.

Ok, next time have 10 boiled eggs for breakfast with plenty of veggies. Record the time and mood. Do not eat anything until you go hungry again. When you go hungry, record the time. The time span will be about 6 hours, and you will have realized your mood will have pretty much stayed stabilized for those 6 hours. No food cravings and no mood swings.

I am not talking about low GI sources or FDA reccomended intakes, I am talking about high protein and moderate fat meals with plenty of fiber.

Seriously, do the experiment. You will be in for a big surprise.

BigBenn said:
Oh really? Thats funny because my understanding of the human body is different.

Our gut/digestive system is a sponge, just waiting to be given food. Once ingested we can sock away a meal (to large intestine) in 2 hrs. Even the largest fattiest meals are digested fairly quickly. Our bodies are set up for quick loading and slow unloading. It is competitively advantageous to avoid starvation and maximize eating oppertunities.

2hrs+ is coasting. Just because your body is in an overall catabolic state (using stored glycogen/fat for energy) doesn't mean it is unhealthy. Those individuals sensitive to hypoglycemia notice it alot more, and it effects them much more. You and I (normal) could go the entire day without eating, with stable blood glucose due to catabolic activity.

That is what we eat for, and that is why we restore glycogen when trying to gain weight. That way, when you go catabolic you will be burning glycogen rather than muscle/fat.

Eh? Do you realize amino acids are being realized into the bloodstream up to 8 hours after a meal? One thing is digestion, the other one is rate of amino acid supply.

I do not get what you are trying to say. You do realize that the amount of glycogen burned per day, including a weight training session, is not that much? To deplete your glycogen stores, you pretty much have to be training everyday, doing a shitload of volume, and restricting yourself to a cetogenic diet. And I love how people throw in the term "catabolic". Realize that weight gain is a matter of calories in vs calories out. As long as you get the minimum amount of protein, cover your micronutrients needs and provide a minimum amount of EFA's, it really does not matter where else you get your calories.

Thd body is a fantastic machine, which will burn whatever is in good supply, and will adapt to pretty much any diet.

El_Toro said:
Eh? Do you realize amino acids are being realized into the bloodstream up to 8 hours after a meal? One thing is digestion, the other one is rate of amino acid supply.

I do not get what you are trying to say. You do realize that the amount of glycogen burned per day, including a weight training session, is not that much? To deplete your glycogen stores, you pretty much have to be training everyday, doing a shitload of volume, and restricting yourself to a cetogenic diet. And I love how people throw in the term "catabolic". Realize that weight gain is a matter of calories in vs calories out. As long as you get the minimum amount of protein, cover your micronutrients needs and provide a minimum amount of EFA's, it really does not matter where else you get your calories.

Thd body is a fantastic machine, which will burn whatever is in good supply, and will adapt to pretty much any diet.

You're referring to weight gain, but you should be referring to muscle gain. Sure, you'll still gain weight, but it'll be in a less efficient manner.

You go ahead and load up every 5 hours, and I'll eat every 2.5. I guarantee you'll have a higher percentage of fat, and I'll have a higher percentage of muscle.