• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Any vegetarians out there?

the prepster

Bluelighter
I recently totally cut all meat out of my diet...
I was just wondering what healthy changes you've noticed since you've stopped eating meat products.

I am. I noticed it bothers a lot of people and they treat you like you're some kind of weird fag for not eating meat. It kinda sucks going to restaurants sometimes because some places have maybe one thing without meat in it. I swear, you can order steamed brocolli and it'll come with bacon bits or some shit on it. Anyways, I haven't "noticed" any healthy changes, but I'm sure I'm much better off now than before. Less fatty meat and more veggies can't hurt.

^ haha, yeah I know what you mean.

I was at my work xmas doo a few weeks ago and when I got to the venue it was a set menu. No choice at all. The starter and main were meat according to the menu .. so when I saw some salad thing come out first I asked the waiter was it actually vegetarian. He told me 'yes it was' and then I spotted something suspiciously like bacon on it. So I pointed to it and said 'ok whats that then' he replied 'salad dressing' .... then I said errr no whats THAT (pointing blatantly at the meat) and then he says 'ohh thats bacon sir'. So then I asked did he have a veggie main course ... he said 'yes' and I asked him what it was, to which he replied 'stroganov' :D

I've been doing the veggie thing for 4/5years now. I don't honestly feel any fantastic health benefits from it. But I feel like I'm doing something small to prevent cruelty to animals. Although I have a leather jacket, leather shoes etc ... probably eat loads of shit with animal produce in it, so I'm a hypocrite basically! But I'm not perfect and freely admit that :)

Ive been veggie for over a year now.
Definately a good thing.
Id consider myself veggie for spiritual reasons and health reasons, although I dont like how animals are treated in these industries, thats another issue for me, seperate from my vegetarianism.
I feel healthier since going veggie but thats mostly because I also am on a constant journey to learn about nutrition and take better care of myself, and going veggie was a big part of all that. Ive seen vegetarians who eat like absolute shit and dont take care of themselves at ALL. So its not neccessarily healthier, it just depends on your diet. But its been an important step in my journal towards optimal physical, mental and spiritual health. :)

I'm in awe of all who eat nothing but veggies, because I can't! Meat seems to be a staple in my diet. Veggies just don't provide enough protein/energy IMO.

Yeah, I'm a vegetarian, been so on and off for ten years. The major benefit has been the feeling of satisfaction that I'm doing something good for the planet. I'd still like to eat some meats, and actually had some chicken about three nights ago- it tasted like flesh and made me feel sick.

The biggest change has been seeing how intolerant people are of vegeatarians, as if its insulting to meat-eaters that I won't do it. Meh.

hmm, I used to eat like 2-3 bacon cheeseburgers a day and hardly any veggies....I felt sick all of the time.

then I went vegan for almost two years. At first I felt much better. After about 1.5 years of veganism, I started to feel drained more often, and I got some serious cravings for animal products. I finally gave in with a huge free range stake and had no problem digesting it.

now that I eat meat and other animal products in moderation (as opposed to exclusively/none at all), I feel like i'm in great health. I think that my 100% northern european genes probably contribute to this because people in colder climates have to eat more animal products (historically)..and oddly I crave animal products most during the winter months.

Basically, after studying farming, animal husbandry, and ecosystems over the past couple of years (these were all issuses that pushed me towards veganism), I've decided that meat has been in my ancestors' diets for millions of years and its perfectly fine and natural for me to eat it. Someday when I have an opportunity to raise and kill my own animals, I might change my mind, but seriously doubt I will. Until then, I'll continue to pick animal products that are raised in humane conditions, and eat them in moderation.

PEACE :)

>>Veggies just don't provide enough protein>>

No, they don't. On numerical terms, however, soy and legumes surely do.
Vegan, 5 years now. I was a LO-vegetarian for 9 months prior. Made the initial change for ethical concerns. It works for me.

ebola

rumpled said:
I'm in awe of all who eat nothing but veggies, because I can't! Meat seems to be a staple in my diet. Veggies just don't provide enough protein/energy IMO.

Vegetarian doesnt mean eating nothing but veggies. I eat plenty of other stuff besides veggies, and I get plenty of protien. :D

after reading books like Fast Food Nation and The Omnivore's Dilemma I've stopped eating meat. my decision is 50% health related and 50% ethical.

it's kind of tough to ignore the conditions in which these industrial farm animals are kept: horrific. now, if i had easy access to ethically raised animals not pumped full of bovine growth hormone, etc, i might feel differently.

until then, my protein comes from things like almonds, walnuts, quinoa, brown rice, etc. also, whenever i cook for friends and family, they're satisfied with the meals - even without meat.

i dont think of myself as a vegetarian prpoer but its easier to tell people that than say i dont eat meat- started off as a matter of taste, i just went off meat- lately im getting more bothered about stuff like wearing leather etc and i have started avoiding such things (though i still wear my old dr martens :) but i wont be replacing them)

as for health benefits- cant say as ive noticed any in 6 years of not eating meat but i feel better in my mind

djwhirlpool said:

No! I meant, chicken used to be just a strange, innocuous substance called "chicken"- its now turned into flesh and skin of chicken. Dead chicken.

Well as far as health I still kill myself with drugs and alcohol so no improvement there.

What I have noticed is that I don't even bother telling people I'm vegetarian now, 'cause I can't be bothered dealing with stupid people's inability to comprehend something so simple.

hmm, I used to eat like 2-3 bacon cheeseburgers a day and hardly any veggies....I felt sick all of the time.

Ya I wonder why.... :\

I tried the vegetarian thing for a bit.. lack of options is annoying though and I really enjoy meat. Fish, eggs, steak, etc. High quality foods with a lot of protein. Not to mention I eat 250+ grams of protein per day. On a vegetarian diet that would be annoying. I don't eat much of any dairy though. I don't think Milk is particularly good for you past age 18. Once I cut milk and most other dairy from my diet my overall health went up a great deal.. but I think it is mostly related to the digestive system.

I respect people who are vegetarians but I have to wonder if they are doing it properly. The human body was designed to be omniverious (spelling?) and meat provides a balance of essential vitamins/minerals/amino acids that nothing else can provide (notice, I'm saying balance of such things, I'm not suggesting a vegetarian doesn't get these things in their diet, just they wind up with a different ratio).

Last edited:
I've been vegetarian for about 11 years now. I feel better not eating meat than I did when I was eating it. Plus I'm generally healthier and more active than a majority of people I know. I've thought about incorporating it into my life again, but I can't justify why I should actually do it.

I really think that one's ability to be vegetarian or vegan depends on where his or her ancestors come from. For instance, a place like India has a year long growing season, so it makes sense that Indians would evolve to eat more vegetables. In contrast, Ireland and Denmark have very short growing seasons, leaving people without fresh veggies in the winter. People in these climates have to eat mainly animal products in the winter because other sources of food simply weren't available.

What "race" are all of you?

Although I have a leather jacket, leather shoes etc ... so I'm a hypocrite basically!

I wouldn't worry about it. No animal was killed to give you your leather coat or shoes; they were killed for steaks and burgers. Without any leather market they'd still be killed.

Mehm said:
I really think that one's ability to be vegetarian or vegan depends on where his or her ancestors come from. For instance, a place like India has a year long growing season, so it makes sense that Indians would evolve to eat more vegetables. In contrast, Ireland and Denmark have very short growing seasons, leaving people without fresh veggies in the winter. People in these climates have to eat mainly animal products in the winter because other sources of food simply weren't available.

What "race" are all of you?

This cultural/environmental determinism doesn't seem to fit in the modern era.