Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Shepparton News - 27/11/2006 '16 charged over drugs at Earthcore'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
16 charged over drugs at Earthcore
November 27 2006
Shepparton News

Drug detector dogs led police to charge 16 people with possessing illegal substances at the weekend's three-day Earthcore dance festival at Undera.

Kyabram police sergeant Darren Wallis said ambulance services had again dealt with a lot of drugrelated injuries, which had been an ongoing issue for emergency services in past years.

"There were no major incidents (at the event) - the dogs did a terrific job in preventing drug use and possession," Sgt Wallis said.

Police found substances such as cannabis, LSD, ecstasy and cocaine, which Sgt Wallis said was a concern as people were putting themselves at serious risk.

"Our whole aim and direction is about patron safety and that's why we've taken these measures, to stop people harming themselves - we want people to get home safely," he said.

Police also issued about 20 penalty notices for traffic offences such as failing to comply with road rules and not wearing seatbelts.

Two Undera Country Fire Authority units were also called to a small grassfire at the event about 6 pm Friday.

"The organisers had a fire plan in place so together with the CFA it was put out fairly rapidly - we're unsure of the cause," Sgt Wallis said.

He said the crowd was wellbehaved overall, and police commended Earthcore patrons for their support in making the event enjoyable and safe.

"The crowd was very wellbehaved which was pleasing," Sgt Wallis said.

Shepparton News (req. registration)

Good to know Earthcore went off safely. Where as at a small to medium sized rave event at Fortitude Valley in Brisbane on the weekend was interrupted by an asian gang fight throwing bottles and shit at each other. lol. First fight I'd ever seen at a rave though.

The vibe was too happy for any major problems to break out. The cops freaked me out hard though, I was just wandering around 6:00pm on the sat thinking "ah much too hot for the doggies I don't even have to worry" 8) all of a sudden there were about a dozen cops with a doggie sitting by sinffing everyone that walked by.

I must say though that the cops did a good job. The did't intentionally hassle anyone and just made their presence known. My mate who was tripping hard on acid even went up to the cops at about midnight and had a 5min conversation with them.. apparently they were chill :D

catching 16 out of 10,000 people who were all on drugs is a bit ridiculous! Absolutly everyone I spoke to was on at least 2 different illicit drugs.. yeah sure coppers, 'you prevented' drug taking 8)

This was on 5pm channel 10 news today. 5 mins of cringing.

I heard that it was announced at EC that this year was the last year. I don't know the full reasons why, but can see it's become more regulated/monitored than ever before...

Tronica said:
I heard that it was announced at EC that this year was the last year. I don't know the full reasons why, but can see it's become more regulated/monitored than ever before...
What? :(

EC may have become a bit of a sellout, but it would have been nice to go for one last hoorah. :(

Interesting that there were only 16 charged, especially with dogs there.

I almost ran into the dogs about 3 times whilst there. there was definately a much larger police presence this year.
only 16 people found in possession is nothing! the amount of drugs been used and sold at that event was ridiculous. there was so much liquid going around this year as well as the usual amount of pills and whizza. Not that I'm compaining though!
Credit to the paramedics - they helped me get my contact lens out of my eyes when I was fucked on some strong acid. it could of being a traumatic experience but they were friendly and chatty, and listened to me babbling acid induced bullshit until the job was done. the paramedics do a really good job and it was a really eye openner to see all the g outs, seizures and freakouts that they have to deal with.

Tronica said:

I would imagine it had something to do with the fact that Shepparton council didn't allow Earthcore to be held this year but Earthcore took it to VCAT and had the decision overruled. With the SpringNats also on that weekend and the bad publicity from last year's death and reputation for drug use, I think some of the locals are keen to see Earthcore move on from Undera.

Also from the point of view of local authorities, they think they don't have the resources to cover an event this size, especially on the same weekend as other big events in the area.

awesome party this year, great atmosphere, great people, great music and some amazing LSD. just shattering that GMS, 1200 Mic and Eskimo didnt play.
Full credit to police and paramedics too i say, good job.

I've been looking on the earthcore forum and Spiro has not given anything more than a cryptic ('due to the alignedment of the moon and the stars') reason for why there is to be no more earthcores.

I have to say I am very disappointed. I have been attending these for 5 years and they have always coincided well with when I finish my exams. I look forward to this event every year, and this year was particularly special as I came with a larger group of friends than normal.

I suggest that those who want this party to be continued post your wishes on the earthcore forums or at the every least hassle spiro enough to provide an adequte reason for stopping these parties.

they announced at the end that it was the last earthcore because they cant afford to do it anymore, but they say that every year though.

Thats fuct if it was the last. Sadly I missed the last two due to lack of funds and Uni exhibition. I really hope that this is not true. :( :( :(

they announced at the end that it was the last earthcore because they cant afford to do it anymore, but they say that every year though.
Yeah I heard the announcement at the very end - 3:30pm Sunday - No more EC because of public liability issues and intensified police monitoring.

I also got this in an EC newsletter a little while back:
'Who knows we could be looking at the last of its kind, due to a certain glam grotesqueness that seems to be consuming people, one without soul or substance and the increasing red tape year in year out enforced by the council'
Seems the organisers can't be fucked with the hassle and the growing number of morons who attend and bring down the vibe :(

Bugger! I made it to all of them from 2001-04, very sad to see the best outdoor event ever dissappear. Many fond memories from each event. Thank Spiro for such an amazing effort over the years....

Yes hoptis those reasons sound about right.

It is certainly a shame, but then again - my feeling is that with one door closing, another one will open. Perhaps a cycle of something that used to be underground becoming just too much... so smaller bush parties might be the way to go in future.

This has mixed implications for the safety of such future parties. People will always find somewhere to go and party, it just might not be as well monitored as EC has become.

"The crowd was very wellbehaved which was pleasing," Sgt Wallis said.
yeah because they were on drugs! how long will it take them to realise this!

mixer said:
yeah because they were on drugs! how long will it take them to realise this!

Or maybe it had nothing to do with the drugs, maybe it was just a nicer cross section of the community.

Just a thought. :)

lil angel15 said:
Or maybe it had nothing to do with the drugs, maybe it was just a nicer cross section of the community.

Just a thought. :)

nahhh

it was definitely the drugs :)

did the earthcore staff allow the police to come in ? It was my understanding that because earthcore was on private property they could only use the sniffer dog at the door or does that just apply to clubs ?

It sounds like the dogs were actually inside the party, I'm sure someone who was there can confirm. I've noticed in recent times Victoria Police have become more forward in trying to get inside events with the dogs.