Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Compulsory Voting

MR Candyslut

Greenlighter
Ok, so with the Victorian state elections being held today, and from remarks made in the relevant thread, I would like to know what fellow's BL'ers feel about compulsory voting? It is something that I have always taken for granted ie the right/obligation to vote but I have only recently found out that Australia is an oddity in that it is one of the few Western countries that actually has law that compels its citizens to vote.

It is something that I have always supported, perhaps more so since statistics suggest the compulsory voting works in favour of the ALP :), however, given Howard's pitch of 'pragmatic' economic policy and his social conservatism, I would say that conclusion would need to be reconsidered.

Essentially, I am starting to be drawn by the argument that people who have no interest in politics, and further, people who are uneducated about what they are voting for, are a more of a danger (including to themselves) than if they were not compelled to vote. Alternatively, do people think it would be appropriate to offer mandatory education during school to perhaps counter this lack of education/awareness about Australian politics?

Compulsory voting is the key to revitalizing downtown Sydney. In my opinion.

Gin, Peeps, Sink. Shoulda Read Tha Instructions...

Benefit said:
Compulsory voting is the key to revitalizing... In my
opinion.

See, we are holmes, nig.
Way.

Though I live out in International Water's an' all.
:)

Interesting topic.

I'm in two minds about this.

Sadly,most people in this country either have no interest and/or totally ignorant about politics.

The fact they are the majority is the biggest worry,and one if NOT the biggest reasons why this current federal government keeps getting back in :( .

I,think this is the biggist flaw with compulsory voting (Mind you technically you don't have to vote,just get your name marked off at the polling both.If your name is on the electoral role,that is),and the fact these peoples vote counts the same as people that know and care about politics.People that care are NOT being rewarded for doing so,especially with the majority being so clueless.

The problem with NOT having this system,is in countries were it is NOT compulsory,extreme groups can have a habit of being over represented,rallying there support and too many of them voting.While,others stay away.

Regarding mandatory education.This would be tricky.Politicans should NOT be involved in the contents because they would try to have bias taught in there favor.An independent body (If a truly one could be found?) would have to do.It would have to include things like:-

*Only facts:-

*Such as 'Political parties policies'.With no views taught of what is good and/or bad policy.

*How our system works.

*History of politically parties.

*How voting is important and can effect society and yourself.(Basically cause and effect,but tricky because opinon of poltically parties has to be left out).

Personally,I think aspects of 'Philosophy' should be taught to all students.So,we can increase the chance of a more informed society.Topics such as:-

*How to construct a logical arguement.
*Flaws of an arguement eg: "The strawman principle".
Etc,etc.................

Last edited:
^ Yeah, i have much the same sentiment as this in terms of education - the difficulty would always lie with who, exactly, was doing the educating. I think any sort of mandatory education is problematic, but perhaps steering away from politics per se, and maybe more Australian political awareness. Like, directing students where to find information, opportunities for all political parties to discuss their policies/ideologies etc.

I agree that non-compulsory voting may induce a tendency for extreme groups to influence policy, but i mean really, surely opposition groups would also being to emerge if this were to occur?

i think compulsory voting is good. it makes people like me actually try to learn something about politics and who runs this country...

Greenacres...

'black nemesis',

hold your fuckin' tongue,
then try'n say
"I was born on a pile of shit."

It's funny.

Like in,
well,
I don' know wether you went to school,
but,
in
Kindegardten (sorry if my spellin' di'in't hit yo' German...),
kids ed. u' cate themselves fo' HOURS on that semantics.

I used to have fun.

How bout you?
:\

Otherwasw I got some Zy B,
or you can jus' hook your car...

Actually you probably don't have a car,
so try...

Fuck it.

You could take a pack a panadol
& drink a bottle of Windsor.
If they don't have it,
try Old Lion.

Switch all the phones off.

Swallow x20 x20.

Don' throw up.
This is your GLORY MOMENT!

Betcha Can't Hold It Down.
:)

kryalkastleE said:
i think compulsory voting is good. it makes people like me actually try to learn something about politics and who runs this country...

With all due respect though KK, to what extent do you feel your vote today was an educated one. Don't get me wrong, i think it is great that people at least make an effort to know what their vote means. BUt i mean, really, having a quick chat to your dad (who as a real estate agent would 9 times out of 10 vote Liberal) and reading a few BL posts is not what I would be wanting to base my vote on.

And i really do not mean that as a personal attack, but I think it just highlights the danger in people thinking they have made an educated choice or learning anything of substance simply by being compelled to vote. If voting was not compulsory, i think it would only be people who gave a shite who would be determining Government. At least then people know what they are voting for.

black nemesis said:
^i vote to bring back literacy and numeracy skills. so unsquare can get a job.

Keep going. Say something worse so I can get you banned, please 8)

You are an ill-informed idiot if you truly believe UnS has issues with literacy, numeracy or employment.

We promote and encourage creativity and freedom of expression in Aus social, by the by. Philistine. :X

Hell yeah, me and UnSquare are going to mate and shit. Voting for everbody! Hooray!

MR Candyslut said:
I agree that non-compulsory voting may induce a tendency for extreme groups to influence policy, but i mean really, surely opposition groups would also being to emerge if this were to occur?

why i'm happy for it to stay compulsory. religious groups are able to mobilise voters in the us through their heavy pockets far too well.

last election time i voted the opposite of my sister just to cancel out her vote

even when it comes to the future of this sun-burnt country, i can still be an obnoxious tool

He Don't Write. Hw Jus' Writes Quotes.

Me said:
"so unsquare can get a job."

Did you not read about
how MUCH of a PIMP
I be?

I'm one leaf short of a shylock.
Word Bus-son.
;)

silvia saint said:
why i'm happy for it to stay compulsory. religious groups are able to mobilise voters in the us through their heavy pockets far too well.

I agree with you. And, indeed, the last thing i would like to see happen is a government with major stakeholders such as the Exclusive Brethren, Religious Right etc etc.

However, my point is, that surely when it becomes obvious that these groups are playing a part in the development of government policy, opposition pressure groups will also necessarily emerge ie ACLU, specific interest groups.

And i mean, really, look at Family First and all the other right wing penticostal pseudo-political groups. Surely you realise just how much they already mobilise their members to vote for right wing conservative parties? I don't really see the difference, compulsory voting or not.

I'd vote regardless anyway but I guess it's just a way of fighting the typical Australian's renowned apathy towards anything that requires effort.

I'd also vote liberal, so that probably puts me out of stead with the majority here (... all it comes down to, quite simply, is tax cuts).

I think the only reason why they persist with compulsary voting is because otherwise you would end up with a result along the lines of Bart Simpson vs. Martin...

Martin - 2
Bart - 0

deeCee said:
I think the only reason why they persist with compulsary voting is because otherwise you would end up with a result along the lines of Bart Simpson vs. Martin...

Martin - 2
Bart - 0

ha! spot on.