• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Fiancee' smokes weed while pregnant

jeah

Bluelighter
well my fiancee' is 5 months pregnant with a healthy baby girl. many ultrasounds and ever a specialicst saw her. she was on klonopin and prozac (prescribed) and she tapered the moment she knew she was pregnant (about 1.5 months into it). I advised her to quit and she said she will by the third trimester. I don't smoke anymore so I would think she could give it up pretty easy. I gave it up for sports. I'm not hard on her but remind her a couple times a week. she smokes about 1/2 a gram of chronic a day. maybe a 1/3rd. sometimes a couple grams of regs with friends. anyway, any big problems? If she knows she needs to quit, I'm sure she will.

thanks!

oh she never drank (not one drink) and never smoked cigarettes. not even when she didn't know.

^pretty much my feeling. One of the most reputable studies I've read on the subject actually showed that the babies of women who smoked pot were more intelligent on average than their peers. That being said, I still wouldn't smoke pot while pregnant. Everything that goes in me goes in the baby, and I'm not going to put anything in that doesn't belong there. End of story.

Alot of people mix tabacco in with their weed, does you wife do this?

In any case it doesnt matter, smoking anything is carcinogenic and should be avoided during pregnancy.

Oh and props to you for quitting smoking! :)

It seems that cannabinoids plrobably arent harmful to a fetus. But thousands of other chemicals contained in smoke are. Benzene, HCN, styrene...yeah.

imhfo i find it kindof sickening that your fiancee cant just lay off to possibly (probably) benefit your daughter. Nobody needs drugs in the womb.

Pfft, if she's gonna quit smoking weed she probably ought to stop eating meat, fish, or any non-organic fruits and vegetables first.

kittyinthedark said:
I've read on the subject actually showed that the babies of women who smoked pot were more intelligent on average than their peers.

it looks like this might be true, here's what I found when researching the subject:

Myth: Marijuana Use During Pregnancy Damages the Fetus. Prenatal marijuana exposure causes birth defects in babies, and, as they grow older, developmental problems. The health and well being of the next generation is threatened by marijuana use by pregnant women.

Fact: Studies of newborns, infants, and children show no consistent physical, developmental, or cognitive deficits related to prenatal marijuana exposure. Marijuana had no reliable impact on birth size, length of gestation, neurological development, or the occurrence of physical abnormalities. The administration of hundreds of tests to older children has revealed only minor differences between offspring of marijuana users and nonusers, and some are positive rather than negative. Two unconfirmed case-control studies identified prenatal marijuana exposure as one of many factors statistically associated with childhood cancer. Given other available evidence, it is highly unlikely that marijuana causes cancer in children.

Source

Look at the bright side...at least she is not doing very addicitve drugs such as opiates, cocaine, or meth. The baby will not be born with an addiction with her mother smoking weed (though there may be other complications).

>>I advised her to quit and she said she will by the third trimester.>>

I find this orientation odd, as teratogens generally exert the greatest effect earlier in pregnancy.

ebola

First hand experience with this.. two very close friends concieve within the same month.. both potheads, on quit completely, one does not. Both non tabbaco smokers, both non drinkers, hung out together through entire pregnancies.. one baby has many health issues, colicy, troubles breathing... thats enough proof for me that I would not, under any circumstances smoke pot while pregnant.

That's not proof of anything... How could a mother smoking pot have anything to do with a baby's breathing troubles?

i knew a weed-mum and her kid... she smoked throughout pregnancy and also while breastfeeding. I forget if they added tobacco. kid was fine, just slept a lot and never woke up screaming at night. must be heaven for parents but i dunno if it's good for the kid. have lost touch, dunno how the kid evloved, bu she did seem well sedated...

Yes. Could you please offer an explanation on how a pregnant mother smoking could cause breathing problems in the child? The smoke goes into the parent's lungs... the particulate matter and sticky tar and heat cause respiratory problems. This requires direct contact of the smoke onto the lungs. If you eat tobacco or marijuana, it doesn't do anything harmful to your lungs. So how could a baby possibly have breathing problems due to its pregnant mother's smoking habits?

Lung cells replicate at an accelerated rate as do epithelial digestive tract cells. Exposure to carcinogens via the blood stream would most likely have an effect on these cells increasing the risk of both breathing and digestive disorders. In my opinion monkeying around with a fetus should be avoided, Ie: no smoking, no drinking, limit artificial chemical intake (food additives, preservatives).

NOOOOOOOOOOOO. Smoking pot while pregnant is NOT a good idea. If you think it is responsible to post that your OPINION that it is probably not harmful without any information, then you are not very bright. And how is it an argument that since can feel ok about putting it in your body that it shouldnt be a big deal for a fetus make any sense? the brain is not completely developed yet; it is not a good idea to put psychoactive chemicals in a fetus' brain. Make your wife quit, right now.

Cannabis culture did a very interesting and controversial article on this a few years back, it was 3-4 full pages if i'm not mistaken.

I just looked around and HERE it is!

NSFW:
1375-jana.jpg

http://cannabisculture.com/articles/1375.html

I think you may all find it of interest. I have no idea what medical rammifications it holds, if any, and could be considered pure speculation compared to medical studies. Every side has it's bias, and I am simply playing devils advocate here because I could NEVER advise smoking ANYTHING while pregnant.

edit: use NSFW tags por favor

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^Reading that doesn't convince me, I mean obviously cannabis culture is going to suggest its alright. I think that the actual smoking could be the harmdul part- eating a bit is probably relatively safe, but yeah, I wouldn't do it (as a guy, that'd be very hard anyway, but I'm not gonna be puffin dope when my girlfriend is pregnant)

my friend's doctor told her that once a week in the third trimester is ok.

her doctor told her, she told me. the end :)

wizekrak, carcinogens do not cause breathing or digestive disorders. The label 'carcinogen' is only applied to a chemical when it can increase the risks of tumor growth. There are other labels to apply to toxic chemicals that could interfere with lung development - but yeah I'm sure in general, ingesting tobacco smoke does bring some level of developmental toxins into your bloodstream, resulting in fetal exposure.

Nitrosamines are the worst carcinogen in tobacco and marijuana smoke, but the amount you ingest from smoking does not even come close to the amount ingested if you eat things like bacon, sausage, or other smoked meats. Even worse of a carcinogenic risk is acrylamide, a chemical formed in "a wide range of starch-containing foods that are fried or baked, particularly french fries, potato chips and cracker". Most fish contain levels of mercury and dioxin that are unsafe for pregnant women to be eating even occasionally. If you're eating ANY of these foods, you've got more to be worried about from your diet than you do from your smoking habits.

A few studies have shown that cannabinoids can actually cure cancer. In vitro and in vivo studies of tumors injected with THC, cannabidiol-hydroxyquinone, and other cannabinoids have shown that these chemicals can shrink tumors.