Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

film: The US vs. John Lennon

Benefit

Bluelighter
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478049/

It's only out in limited release right now. It's a documentary chronicling John Lennon's stint as a revolutionary icon during the late 60s/early 70s and the attempt by the US government to deport him for his subversive views.

I don't like political movies. Film is not a good medium for political education because the information is easily distorted and almost always oversimplified. This film is no different. It glosses over things, it reduces other things. They interviewed Geraldo Rivera for reasons unknown to me.

Really I only went to see the archival footage and hear the music, which was of course very cool. I love Vietnam B-roll. They also had cool interviews with Bobby Seale, John Sinclair and they got Walter Cronkite on camera. Gore Vidal provided a few stupid but memorable sound bites.

Check it out, if you have any interest in the 1960s civil rights/anti-war movement in the US. The film of course wants you to see links between the Nixon regime and the Bush regime. Take what you can get out of it.