• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Veganism

skahead17

Bluelighter
i am a vegan (about a year and 1 month) and would like to know if anyone else on this forum is. Personally i love the lifestyle. being vegan makes you feel more alive and intouch with nature.

People think it's within the realm of "good" and "responsible" and "acceptable" to take from animals for some reason...

All we humans do is change this earth to meet our standards...

I won't state my personal beliefs about eating meat, it will just become an argument.

I would just hope that you use caution and educate yourself before you become vegan or even vegetarian. I see too many young developing girls decide to become vegan, and then not know how to properly feed themselves. This can lead to poor brain function/formation, sexual development malformation, and growth problems.

Get your amino acids. And I'm not joking. Get your healthy fats. Still not joking. Get your vitamins and minerals. This isn't a joke, it isn't a choice to be made lightly. If you decide to do it, educate yourself, and take care of yourself.

With that being said as a biologist I understand that humans are omnivores. They have evolved from omnivores, and have evolutionarily adapted to omnivorous diets. In order to live healthfullly (It is possible) you have to know how to create amino acid combinations, and obtain good healthy fats. Its alot of planning, and shouldn't be taken lightly.

ive been vegan for over a year, and garuntee that i get double the protein and any other vitamin or mineral than a meat eater, because i have educated myself long ago and know what to eat to balance my body.

skahead17 said:
ive been vegan for over a year, and garuntee that i get double the protein and any other vitamin or mineral than a meat eater, because i have educated myself long ago and know what to eat to balance my body.

I eat seven times daily and get around 300g protein :p

I <3 chicken.

Ive been a vegetarian for a year.
It would be too hard to go completely vegan..there are eggs used in so much stuff. You have to read every label to be vegan..I know I have a friend who is.

I dont eat much cheese, just a little on pizza. Or in enchiladas. Yum.

Being vegetarian rocks though. I might go vegan one day when Im older though, for health reasons.

vegan is just a natural progression from vegetraian. some people it takes no time some epeople it can take years. i went vegetarian to vegan in like 3 or 4 months, but my friends mom took 6 years of being vegetarian to turn vegan.

I've been a vegan, before, and as well as several flavors of vegetarian. I think it's an environmentally-conscious, self-aware thing to be vegetarian or vegan. You use less time digesting and breaking down animal protein and more time for something else, like getting high(drug-and non drug). You are more conscious about what your actions cause or contribute to. You do have to take care to supplement. A good b12 or B-complex is essential. An occasional bit of iron is not too bad, either.

Anyways, cheers!
(watching young-developing girl body:) Tee hee)

I got shot by the v-gun.
The amino acid issue isn't a very big deal if you eat something protein rich (besides seitan, as it is wheat protein) with most every meal.

Things to watch out for: b-12, zinc, omega-3s, iron.

ebola

>>I might go vegan one day when Im older though, for health reasons.>>

Oh...I should add that IMO, going vegan for health doesn't make much sense.
Reducing dairy intake and increasing fish, however, does.

ebola

vegan is a natural progression from vegetarian?

i don't think so. i've been vegetarian for over a year now and i truly don't think i could ever be a full-blown vegan. i love cheese too much. and ice cream. and chocolate...and carob makes me physically sick, not that i mind the taste.

anyway...vegan is a lot more hardcore than just not eating meat and i think a lot of ppl. can handle the latter but couldn't be so strick as to rule out all dairy.

no matter though, just a thought. and cheers to you for not contributing to the disgusting animal cruelty that goes on in the meat industry :)

Veganism is a whole lifestyle, from the food you eat, to the clothes you wear, even to the sheets you use. No leather-containing shoes, you get the picture. Being vegan is a very intense experience and I have much respect for those who travel that path. For me, turning vegan WAS a natural progression from vegetarianism. I was living in California working for an organic farm/co-op. It was just natural to go vegan. When in Rome do as the Romans do:)

shutterbug said:

i don't think so. i've been vegetarian for over a year now and i truly don't think i could ever be a full-blown vegan. i love cheese too much. and ice cream. and chocolate...and carob makes me physically sick, not that i mind the taste.

:)

for those few months i was vegetarian and not vegan i loved cheese and thought the same way, but i didnt eat cheese or dairy very often, i just liked it, so one day i said "well i dont eat it a lot, so why not just cut it out" and its been the greatest decision of my life...that and deciding to start smoking weed. ahahaha

I'm a vegan except for honey, and that's only because I hate bees.

Usually when someone makes an issue out of it I can make a pretty good arguement, but someone got me one time with this:

"How come you check the ingrediants on everything before you eat it, but you never ask for a list of ingrediants before you shoot a bag?"

He got me on that one, and the fact that I am a total health freak with food but I still smoke.

pyrrhicvictory

i dont go out of my way to eat honey, but its not a big deal to me if i accidently eat granola or something like that with honey in it. When i have the munchies honey does not stop me.

shutterbug said:

anyway...vegan is a lot more hardcore than just not eating meat and i think a lot of ppl. can handle the latter but couldn't be so strick as to rule out all dairy.

no matter though, just a thought. and cheers to you for not contributing to the disgusting animal cruelty that goes on in the meat industry :)

I raise my own chickens, sometimes for meat, and eggs. I purchase organically fed, free ranged chickens to eat. NO CRUELTY, JUST PURE TASTY :)

^ yeah, that's you...the majority of the population doesn't though :\

and ska - cheese is like 50% of my diet...lol. yeah, yeah i know that's not healthy, but i never said i ate healthy and honestly i do eat better than when i ate meat. i am starting to have a problem with eggs though, well mainly scrambled ones, not when they're in something.