• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Men: Shave, wash face... what order?

captainballs

Bluelighter
My routine right now is to shave first thing in the morning. Then I put on some non-alchohol balm. I let it marinate for about 10 minutes then I hop in the shower and wash it off with facewash.

I find it keeps my face from being too greasy from the balm all day, without sacrificing the initial skin-soothing qualities.

If I don't wash my face in the shower and use some
sort of exfoliating scrub, I get crazy skin irritation around my
neck after shaving.

I use some non-alcohol shave balm after shaving.

Wash your face and then shave. I read it in a magazine one time and it seems to work out nicer that way.

Yeah, always wash your face first making sure to get it nice and hot. I use a shaving oil with a mach 3 then use an SPF 15 moisturiser because I've got REALLY sensitive skin.

My face gets real greasy during the day if I put on moisturizer or aftershave or any of that stuff without washing it off. wtf?

^Maybe you're using too much. Try switching brands to something that's advertized as not being greasy. Wash face first with facial scrub using some kind of soft plastic scrubbie thing to exfoliate and get rid of dead skin, shave, and then moisturize.

i used to never get this, but i get the worst "razor burn" the day of or the next day after shaving my neck. never on my face, only on my neck.

i've done it a lot of ways, before and after the shower. any suggestions on shaving / anti irritation creams?

moving to healthy living as this topic is not related to recreational drug use

mods please allocate accordingly

I don't, thankfully, have to shave more than twice a week but I generally do it in the shower.

I use a Mach 3 razor w/Loreal for Men Extra Sensitive Shaving Gel.

Followed up by the Loreal for Men Anti-Tightness Foaming Cleansing Gel and a facial scrub.

After my shower I use the Loreal for Men 'Anti-Fatigue' Moistureriser.

The moisturiser doesn't contain any oil products so doesn't leave your skin feeling greasy, but any non-oil containing moisturiser shoud be fine.

Nivea also have a good range of products, I'm trying not to sound like a sales rep for Loreal, but they just came out with this range recently and I found they work rather well :)

For years I used to shave first then hop in the shower and wash my face.

A couple months ago I started showering first and then shaving after, I find this approach works much better, less irritation. That being said I haven't given myself razor burn since I was in my teens. I always shave against the grain and once you master the angle and pressure of the razor, providing you're using a relatively fresh blade, there's no reason to cut yourself or get razor burn. I always apply a toner post shave.

metrosexual3.jpg

^^ Yep, all men that look after themselves must be gay.

Relax man, it was a joke.

If you guys didn't buy all those lotions there would be a lot of people at the Clinique factory out of a job. You're good for the economy.

Of course it was, as was the return tounge in cheek.

I wake up and then after breakfast I brush my teeth and have a shower. After that I shower, shave when out of shower and instead of using any sort of aftershave like thing, I get a warm damp facecloth and put it on my face for a minute to open up my pores to prevent the grease.

I use the Mach 3 Turbo with a sensitive skin shaving cream (I believe it has aloe vera in it) and then I hope into the shower and wash my face with clearasil and an exfoliating scrub. After I get out of the shower my face is always dry so I use Vitamin A cream which works wonders for the appearance of your face. Also try taking a fish oil supplement.

I spash some water on my face, shave, and more water.
My hair grows like a 15 year old though.

After years trying just about everything to avoid a nasty shaving rash and dry skin condition I was plagued with since my late 20's, I eventually found the answer.

I simply shower first, then using no soap, gel or cream, I use a disposable razor (3-4 shaves only max/ razor) straight on the face. Although I have a fairly thick growth, this works fine. Then I use a hot face cloth followed by a good cold soak to close the pores. I get the perfect close shave with no facial irritation.

FWIW I don't use any after shave or moisturiser at all.

You should always wash first. Firstly, it softens up the skin and hairs and open up the pores leading to a closer shave and less razor burn. Secondly, when you shave, there is an increased chance of bacteria getting into the skin, due to the open pores and scraping the skin etc. By washing your face first, you minimise the amount of bacteria on your face, and therefore decrease the chance of rash, spots etc.

I shave with nothing more than "natural" soap - the same soap I use for my face and body - always a smooth face, never any problems. Sometimes I use food-grade coconut oil as an after-shave.