Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Harm of "Smokeable" meth vs other forms of meth [for smoking]

peaked

Bluelighter
I have a question about the harm caused by smoking meth that isnt meant to be smoked. I tried using the search engine but after reading through numerous threads I gave up, though I could have definately missed something as i'm fairly scattered at the moment.

Recently, I have used meth that has been sold as "smokeable meth", aswell as meth that was "shootable". Though I have nothing against IV, im personally scared of using a needle so the only ways I consume meth is either by eating it or smoking it. In this case, I smoked both types of meth. Note that the only reason I call it "shootable" was because I was informed when I purchased it that the stuff could be used for IV (theoretically any meth could be IV'd but I think in this context it meant that it hadnt been cut with anything that could be very bad to inject) . Both types of meth were crystals, the smokeable appearing white and more "powdery" (but still crystals if that make sense) while the other stuff was more of a semi transparent colour and was slightly gluggy in parts.

The smokeable meth ofcourse completely vapourised rapidly into alot of smoke, and much of it formed on other parts of the pipe very quickly. The flavour seemed very mild, and the effects were rather subtle considering the dosage.

The other type of meth took longer to vapourize, and though it didnt seem to have as much smoke, there was an incredibly potent taste to the vapour that I associate with meth when I eat it. The effects were also much stronger than the other type of meth, from a smaller dosage. However, after the meth had turned into a liquid and was smoking, the remaining liquid then turned a brown colour then turned hard and black like it was burnt.

So I was wondering, though I've read that the least harmful meth to smoke is that of the highest purity, in this case would the "shootable" meth be much more harmful than the "smokeable" meth ?

I've also pondered the idea of washing the meth with acetone, though I got the impression from reading a few threads that without high quality acetone (i.e. not the stuff i'd have access to at a service station) then it would be very difficult (or impossible) to wash it to a high purity. That, and the fact that I have very little idea about chemistry, which is probably reason enough in itself not to attempt the procedure (not to mention how suspicious it might look if some of the equipment used was discovered).

Last edited:
im pretty sure i understand you, the smokeable meth would have been plain old crystal meth(probably cut with MSM if it had no taste)

the shootable meth was probably base(not meth freebase or crack) that is the stuff everyone shoots here. i have smoked it before and i do agree the rush is much better, but with all the crusty black stuff left over i doubt it would be healthy at all, i think the residue is mostly burnt epsom salt.

can anyone clear this up, is base(wet) methamphetamine, or any meth that leaves a residue as safe as any other crystal meth to smoke?

I'm no expert but I would say that crystal meth is better for your health (lungs especially) then base would be.

Now by base I'm referring to the wet methamphetamine that often contains things other then meth (unreacted precursor chemicals and/or solvents) These other things could possibly form toxic substances (or are toxic themselves) when burned.

In short cyrstal meth is far from good for your health however it would be better for you then smoking base. I'm aware of people having cleaned up some base with various washes and recyrstalisations to produce a somewhat pure product that would be better the uncleaned base

Hope this helps.

the_ketaman said:
i think the residue is mostly burnt epsom salt.

One of my friends also mentioned the same thing after sampling some. I took a pic of the "gluggy" meth to give a better idea of how it is, though unfortuantely my scanner broke so its only a camera phone picture.

Attachments

• DSC00121.JPG
    DSC00121.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 3,617
When looking at a sample of meth in whatever form; colour = impurities

Base or goo, as said, is also impure.

However, as the_ketaman indicated, MSM and other impurities can sometimes be crystallized with the meth, thereby looking like one large crystal when in fact more than one substance is present.

If you are intending to wash the coloured powder with acetone, although lab grade would be preferred, at a crunch, a lower grade could be used. It's definitely a bit of a toss up between the impurities present and those in the acetone.

peaked made a good point regarding possible legal ramifications of being caught with contaminated equipment etc. It's the reason some of us would never do such things. As such, these impurities have also played a part in why some of us eventually decided against using these drugs at all. However, if you do decide that cleaning is preferred to consuming impurities, then always use a plastic funnel that doesn't react with acetone (HDPE, LDPE but NOT PVC). Of course glass is better than plastic, but regardless, if you're sensible, everything should discarded afterwards.

As I've said before, perhaps the onus should be placed on your dealer. Get them to clean it for you. After all, he/she is already taking some hefty risks law wise. If they care - even just a bit- about the the wellbeing of their customers, it shouldn't be considered a problem for them, should it?

Anything that burns or leaves a coloured residue is also producing impurities in the vapour which are probably toxic. To a degree, some are probably also carcinogenic.

I would also strongly advise against injecting anything with colour, or for that matter anything that's not considered pure. Using the analogy of "cleaning"; your Liver is likely to become the "wash", even chemically adjusting impurities so they are more water soluble - which can produce carcinogenic substances as with benzopyrenes in tobacco smoke - and your kidneys the "filter paper". What your poor kidneys will be like down the line a few years is anyone's guess.

peaked, next time you take such a pic, try using a white background if possible so that any colour is more noticeable.

^^good points.

if i were to wash 0.3g of goo with acetone would i get some decent results(0.1g of crystal) or would i need to use a significant amount of meth to get anything worth smoking? i just want to experiment and theres hardly any smokable meth around here and when there is its at a rediculous price.

where do i obtain high grade acetone?(this isnt against the rules is it?)

you can't get lab grade acetone. if you could, you'd already know how. not even worth trying.

if you crush your crystals to powder, as one should, prior to the wash, then .3g will leave you with... well, almost nothing you can even discern. if you carefully allow the filter media to dry, and then wash that with hot dh20 and evapped the dh20 you'd get some back, but you're talking a week to evap that dh20 for realistically less than your target of .1g most of which you'll have a hard time scraping from the evap plate.

AND THEN... and then you'll figger out that an acetone wash doesn't really do a whole lot, and the a/b extraction dual solv re-x is the only way to go, but to them both correctly is a huge undertaking in which you will invariably screw up.

do the dual solv re-x but don't worry too much about filtering off crystals. chances are you're going to get long needles forming first, white sludge on the edges and if you're really good and don't move the solution and cool it suuuuuuper slow, some little rhomboids on th ebottom which are still not pure, but will make your head sing again.

bottom line though: you will figger out real quick that what you paid $100/g last year has basically increased by 5-6x to achieve anywhere close to the same yields.

also, now that you're playing chemist, best to capsule anything you produce. seriously.

Washing small amounts would be a pain, and as halfoz mentioned, you'd be lucky to recover much at all.

Depending upon what the impurities are, acetone may remove them. However, as compounds produced from a shitty synth are often also insoluble in acetone, if present, these won't be removed. An acid/base recrystallisation would be better, but again, with such a small amount, I'd doubt it would be successful - unless you were well versed in using micro glassware.

Details regarding the above procedures can be found by searching.

Please think carefully though, before deciding its a wise thing to do. When it comes down to it, the procedures involved in an A/B extraction amount to almost the same level of "activity" as the common synth. You could easily be charged with manufacture and may have difficulty in proving otherwise.

Mentioning or requesting sources for anything other than 5-HTP and testing kits violates guidelines for this forum. I will mention though that acetone is a Cat#3 chemical on the Code of Practice for Supply Diversion into Illicit Drug Manufacture.

ok thanks, its probably not worth it for me to do this , i dont want anything to do with manufacture, i just want cleaner drugs. maybe i will just wait till the crstal meth epidemic hits ausralia.

the_ketaman said:
maybe i will just wait till the crstal meth epidemic hits ausralia.

Unfortunately, it already has. Just nowhere near the scale of what it is in the States. Been like this for a while now. In my experience, the more isolated the state/territory/town, the more popular and easier to get crystal meth is.
Though, it's still pretty abundant in the big smoke.

Diacetylus said:
In my experience, the more isolated the state/territory/town, the more popular and easier to get crystal meth is.

This has funnily enough been the same with me!

I first discovered methamphetamine in its crystal form in a farming town with a population of less than four thousand people in the middle of fucking nowhere. :)

Ashley.

amplifying phase_dancer's comments, the a/b extract requires two chemicals-- amongst others-- that are capable of causing you grievous injury by simply being close to, no need to have any kind of personal contact. so, you could be wearing protective gear, chem resistant clothing, respirator, etc, and your unknowing girlfriend pops into the kitchen, looks over your shoulder, and is thereby blinded, quite permanently. if you're wanting to experiment here, you'll get the safest results -- and probably close to the best results -- with nothing more than distilled water, very clean glassware, and a LOT of patience.

generally, a full re-x cycle using just stuff that's easily obtainable will take no less than 3 days to recover anything, and if done appropriately, more like 7-10 days. so, your stuff will be either in solution (looking EXACTLY like old water in a cup, and considering that a tremendous amount of product will dissolve into only a small amount of water, you can inadvertantly dispose of, or spill, or pour something nasty into, what is actually say 14g of stuff and not even realize it until its far, far too late.), or slowly recrystallizing, but either way not super usable for awhile.

so you risk injury to yourself, to others, loss of product, and a long wait to use the product, plus getting caught.

not to lecture, you clearly get the picture, but its a picture worth protraying completely.

oh wait, plus fire. serious potential risk of fire at a couple points in the procedure. and believe me when i note that acetone's flash point is very, very low.

halfoz said:
oh wait, plus fire. serious potential risk of fire at a couple points in the procedure. and believe me when i note that acetone's flash point is very, very low.

I thought acetone's flashpoint was somewhere around –17'C?

Ashley.

Thanks for the replies everyone, you've been very informative. I personally dont think I'll be smoking any meth that doesnt vapourize properly anymore, I dont even want to imagine the type of damage it was causing when my throat and lungs would feel completely fucked for a day or so after a long burn.

I was probably abit too scattered and unclear in my first post, but the meth I was smoking had no visible colour in it that I could see (and I inspected it fairly well with a bright light). I've got a picture of some meth I used in the past that I believe the colour to be very similar to, however they aren't the same, as the stuff in this particular picture smoked up really well (it was a little better formed and not gluggy at all).

I've got another pic of some meth I used ages ago that was gluggy stuff, similar in "glugginess" to the meth I attempted to smoke, however it wasnt quite as gluggy as the stuff in this pic, and there was no colour at all, whereas the stuff in this pic has a slight tinge of red.

So essentially, the meth I initially posted about (that didnt smoke properly) was the colour of the first pic with similar glugginess to the second pic (but not quite as bad).

There also might have been some confusion when I mentioned it turning brown in my original post. What I meant by this was, before heating, the meth looked "clear". Once it was heated, it would then turn to a clear liquid. It would vape a bit but then the clear liquid would turn into a brown colour (similar to the last pic but liquid not a crystal) and then it would turn black and harden over.

Comparing "coloured" meth to meth that has no colour (or rather, looks transparent, slightly white), would an acetone wash be more effective for non-coloured meth, since its presumably got less impurities that potentially mightnt be filtered by acetone? Or is there simply too many possible impurites in any form of meth to be able to determine the effectiveness of an acetone wash (without actually perfoming it yourself to find out).

Also, one last thing, I've heard people use the word "base" to describe many different looking types of meth. In the end, I've basically just thought of "base" to describe meth that has formed as a crystal, but also has some kind of colour in it (like the final picture I uploaded). Would this be an accurate description of "base" ?

Attachments

• clearmeth.JPG
    clearmeth.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,244
  • gluggymeth.jpg
    gluggymeth.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 2,367
  • base.jpg
    base.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 2,789
Last edited:
the only meth you will find is HCI. otherwise, if it is already crushed into powder it is a pain in the ass to smoke, and if its still in nice shards it is easier to smoke. powder can be cut with a bigger variety of things. shards can pretty much only be cut with MSM as far as i know. msm will burn off before you get around to smoking it anyways. i wouldnt smoke it if the crystals arent clear. hell, iw ouldnt buy it if the crystals arent clear.

This is of course a total guess, but peaked if your meth was cut with a sugar (like glucose) it would in all probability act as you described. The meth would vapourise and the sugar would caramelise.

Glucose is a fairly common speed cut, so it's not too much of a stretch to imagine this happening...