Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The danger of not knowing what skunk and charlie are

Skyline_GTR

Bluelight Crew
The danger of not knowing what skunk and charlie are

Western Mail
26 April 2006
Darren Devine

PARENTS are unable to spot the crucial telltale signs when their children are involved in drugs, new research claims.

Around half of all parents have no idea that finding items like clear food wraps or stickers with pictures on them may be evidence their child is using drugs like cannabis or acid.

The survey by information line Frank found parents feel they don't know enough about drugs or how to talk to a child they suspect is taking them.

But their children are often far better informed about the "street" names of drugs and their availability, due in part to the activities of celebrity figures such as Pete Doherty and Kate Moss.

Parents in this position say they would prefer someone else to approach their children on their behalf.

Jean Harrington, manager of Rhondda Cynon Taf substance misuse charity Teds (Treatment, Education and Drugs Services), said parents often experience problems talking to their children about drugs because they feel ignorant about the issue.

Mrs Harrington said, "They may not know that the young person is using and that is when they come to us - because they've found out and obviously there's a lot of concern.

"Those who don't know enough about it always confuse misuse with overdose even though that affects only a very small percentage of young people."

Mrs Harrington said her organisation tries to educate parents about the varying effects of the whole range of drugs with which youngsters may experiment.

She said the most effective way of helping is to keep talking to your child as resorting to blame and accusation does more harm than good.

One in five parents who took part in the online survey said they would "lose their rag" if they discovered their child had been taking drugs.

While some parents knew the "street" names for drugs, others were not as well informed, with one in four (24%) parents not knowing what "skunk" (cannabis) referred to, and one in five parents not recognising the term "charlie" (cocaine).

Around 43% of the 500 parents who took part thought 10 to 11 years old was the most appropriate age to start talking to their children about drugs.

This is in line with recent government research which shows that 18% of 11-year-olds are offered drugs, with this figure rising to 63% in their last year of school.

According to the Frank survey, around 90% of mums felt they knew the warning signs of drug-taking, compared with 82% of dads.

Up to 93% of parents knew that aerosols such as hairspray could be dangerous if deliberately inhaled, but only 27% would associate this activity with a strong smell.

Erika Woods, who runs the North Wales youth charity Mase (Music and Sound Experience), said parents often struggle to deal with the problem in a constructive and detached way.

She said, "It's difficult for parents to recognise the symptoms and then deal with the problem constructively without accusations.

"I can understand why parents prefer a third party to talk to their children because they would deal with it in a different way.

"A parent's first reaction is shock and anger and then a kind of horror.

"Then the parents worry about what they're going to do.

"That's the hardest thing - because how do you stop it?"

Jackie Coates, an accounting technician and mother of 14-year-old twins, said she was aware of the growing drugs problem in Wales.

She said parents remain ignorant about the dangers of drugs at their peril.

Mrs Coates, from Colwyn Bay, Clwyd, said, "It's a problem that concerns me for the future because my children are still quite young.

"I don't worry about it now, but I will be concerned in the future - you can only remain ignorant at your peril.

"But I'm surprised that parents are so ignorant because we hear an awful lot about drugs and most parents believe the availability of drugs is widespread."

Mrs Coates said she believed that though children are quite well informed about drugs more could be done to bring parents up to date.

Link

Mrs Coates said she believed that though children are quite well informed about drugs more could be done to bring parents up to date.

Whilst they may know more than their parents, I doubt most of the children are really that well informed either.

And articles like this don't help - "stickers with pictures"?! =D

Charlie? Is that strictly a British term? I've never heard that one before. On this side of the lake, it's referred to here as yayo, blow, or white.

we say charlie in the U.S. as well, perhaps its regional -- I know down south you won't exactly find many yay dealers saying charlie, but i've heard the term amongst users a lot.

Whilst they may know more than their parents, I doubt most of the children are really that well informed either.

Well informed?! I doubt most kids are well informed about drugs. Perhaps well informed means that they can recall all of the misinformation and half-truths they were taught in DARE or from other government sources.

Mrs Harrington said her organisation tries to educate parents about the varying effects of the whole range of drugs with which youngsters may experiment.

Great...now the DARE generation is not the only one who knows the TRUTH.

When my kids grow up I'll be sure to check BL for latest drug slang & un-biased info of course!

;)

Church said:
Charlie? Is that strictly a British term? I've never heard that one before. On this side of the lake, it's referred to here as yayo, blow, or white.

I think its pretty common in europe and north america.

well dayyumm... I guess we learn something new every day... now I'm prepared for my kids. ;)

^^jesus, no kidding. How is crack not associated with pipes? Or a cannabis not having a strong smell as a possible sign of use?

EDIT: And since when does cannabis cause schizophrenia?

Wow that test is really dumb. I don't get the clear food wraps or stickers part.

uh, i guess they're trying to imply that LSD is put on stickers? and clear food wrap for packaging, I assume (although cocaine apparently is never put in celophane).

smokin pot is worse than cigs according to the survey. It also said marijuana is sold in the form of dried leaves (cant believe i had to answer that cuz its the flower...). How much does the average roll cost? Less than 5 bucks now all of a sudden (Of course, but thats not on average per pill in the states anyhow unless MAYBE you buy in bulk lol)....This is all according to the test as well.

Worst survey ever! If you actually did well on that test you have greater issues to worry about than merely your kids being on drugs.

Thanks for posting the link Kara.

That talk to frank crap is like the blind leading the blind, lol. :\

Around half of all parents have no idea that finding items like clear food wraps or stickers with pictures on them may be evidence their child is using drugs like cannabis or acid.

eh? Stickers with pictures? I think most kids at one time or another collects some sort of stickers. It's nothing to do with LSD. Talk about scare tactics...

But their children are often far better informed about the "street" names of drugs and their availability, due in part to the activities of celebrity figures such as Pete Doherty and Kate Moss.

what!? Kids know more than their parents about drugs because of two 'celebrities'?!

What a pathetic article.

some parents are too overprotective which i think in turn worsens the childs chances of being susceptible to drug addiction, being honest with your children will only help IMHO

The key to getting away with your drug use, which I always did when it came to my parents, was maniuplation. It's sad, but it's true. Bullshitting your way through, saying things constantly to futhor back up your upcomming story etc, it all works and it will continue to work on everyone simply because no parent wants to believe their child is using drugs. It's as simple as shit.

Oh and the article is complete and utter bullshit.