• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Is FLUORIDE safe?

nitelife

Bluelighter
I've been reading conflicting reports on fluoride and cant seem to come to my own conclusion weather the stuff is safe or not. the more i read the more confused i become.

supposedly fluoride is in just about everything from drinking water, to food supply, dental products and even tea. actually my main concern is drinking tea with fluoride as i drink 4-5 cups a day easily. green tea and rooibos tea being the highest content of fluoride.

what do u guys make of this?

ADA's Fluoridation Facts Short Answer
Fluoride, at the concentrations found optimally fluoridated water, is not toxic according to generally accepted scientific knowledge.

ADA's Fluoridation Facts Long Answer
Like many common substances essential to life and good health — salt, iron, vitamins A and D, chlorine, oxygen and even water itself — fluoride can be toxic in excessive quantities. Fluoride in the much lower concentrations (0.7 to 1.2 ppm) used in water fluoridation is not harmful or toxic.

Acute fluoride toxicity occurring from the ingestion of optimally fluoridated water is impossible.104 The amount of fluoride necessary to cause death for a human adult (155 pound man) has been estimated to be 5-10 grams of sodium fluoride, ingested at one time.140 This is more than 10,000-20,000 times as much fluoride as is consumed at one time in a single 8-ounce glass of optimally fluoridated water.
linkl

Hmmm never crossed my mind to be worried about it, to be honest.

Acute, and chronic toxicity are two completely seperate beasts, exposure to a droplet of benzene for instance, will likely not cause any immediate harm whatsoever, but expose yourself to that same droplet, day after day, and you will very likely end up with leukaemia.

A lethal dose of sodium or potassium fluoride isn't that much, around a teaspoonful would stand a decent chance of causing a fatality, and would quite definately cause some serious acute symptoms, and possibly fluorosis, which is where fluorine/fluoride ions weaken bone and teeth.

Aside from that, it usually isn't NaF or KF that is used at all, but hexafluorosilicic acid/hexafluorosillicate salts, both of which are highly toxic, from the figures I could dredge up online, somewhere around the area of 90% of the H2SiF6 is industrial waste, coming from air scrubbers and the like, it has to be disposed of as hazardous waste, or, diluted down and dumped into our drinking water.

Nice, just what I want to wake up to in the morning, breakfast, with a glass of (diluted) toxic waste.

Been there, done that

I don't have the energy or the desire to debunk this again. Unless you're drinking more than 5 gallons of fluoridated tap water a day for years on end, you will not get any adverse effects from the miniscule amount of fluoride in tap water. If you want to freak out about it, then go nuts. I'd rather not worry about it and still have my original teeth when I'm 80 thanks.

I'm just waiting for an article to come out saying something like "Fluoride: Just as neurotoxic as lead"

Flouride is in green tea? huh?

I would gather that it's not really in the tea, but in the water you use to make the tea.. am i correct? or wrong...?

oh yea.. and on a scale of 1-5 in toxicity... lead ranks a 3, flouride ranks a 4. Flouride is crap.

In drinking water, it doesn't do ANY good for your teeth, or health.

I've recently dropped flouride out of my diet in every area... even toothpaste.

I mean fuck. I was brushing for years with flouridated toothpaste, and I still have cavities like hell.

and... my water has flouride in it.

I drink nothing but bottled water, or filtered water.. and I use toothpaste with xylitol... as it's been proven just as effective as flouride in preventing cavities.

oh yea-- flouride was first discovered through aluminum production.

aluminum, as you know, is neurotoxic as hell.

flouride is considered a toxic waste.

but.. the human body can take a beating a keep on ticking..

and also, it's not all about brushing... some people are just more prone to cavities.

to the guy above... who has had zero fillings- did you have much exposure to antibiotics as a child?

I' researched this topic a while back, what i learned and experienced convinced me to make a point to avoid fluoride. this substance has a track record of neurotoxicity..

the entire history on how it was introduced into world water supplies, via russian gulags, and ww2 concentration camps is political and malevolently medical. fluoride, also been used on prison populations, reasons are to make them more "docile".

the fda advise for children under six(?) to not drink touch flouoride. it's burried deep within their safe use guidlines; but you won't find that type of alert on the news..

dental fluorisis -may appear as tiny black holes in the enamel of the tooth; it's caused by fluoride in water supplies, and toothpaste. fluoride.. potentiate aluminum and other's nicely, giving them easier flow past the brains blood barrier. ect.. ect.. ect...

i experimented on my health over the summer; for example, i would go a week on fluoride.. then switch routine and drink spring water with no fluoride. a big difference was noticed, including a reduction in headache's i would often suffer from.

Personally, I feel I'll live longer than people who are doing all that worrying about fluoride, nutrasweet, this toxicity and that toxicity. IMO stress is more toxic, and I'm not biting.

P.S. how many "fluoride avoiders" here use street drugs, which contain unknown quantities of unknown contaminants? Just curious...

It honestly doesn't matter. If it bothers you: Use a brita filter for your water, but brush your teeth with fluoride anyway and make sure you spit it all out and rinse.

Problem more or less solved.

MDPVagrant said:
Personally, I feel I'll live longer than people who are doing all that worrying about fluoride, nutrasweet, this toxicity and that toxicity. IMO stress is more toxic, and I'm not biting.

P.S. how many "fluoride avoiders" here use street drugs, which contain unknown quantities of unknown contaminants? Just curious...

everyone should be aware the effects of foreign chemicals upon the body. knowing how the world work is relieving... why the animosity?

to feed you curiousity.. i would hate to deal with any drug of unknown quantity and contaminants. i don't stress over these issues, i overstand them.

mike ra said:
everyone should be aware the effects of foreign chemicals upon the body. knowing how the world work is relieving... why the animosity?
No animosity intended, I just need to see solid scientific proof before I believe certain things... particularly if it's found primarily on the Net...

IcarusRisen said:
It honestly doesn't matter. If it bothers you: Use a brita filter for your water, but brush your teeth with fluoride anyway and make sure you spit it all out and rinse.

Problem more or less solved.

your avg brita filters don't remove the fluoride. reverse osmosis can break it down to a minimal level, that's your best bet. reverse osmosis filters can cost hundreds unfortunately.. so many people seek out properly bottled waters.

i don't advise brushing with fluoride either.. but that's just me. no fluoride treatments at the dentist either.

MDPVagrant said:
No animosity intended, I just need to see solid scientific proof before I believe certain things... particularly if it's found primarily on the Net...

have you seen 'solid' scientific proof on the contrary?

you will certainly find more avenues for information on the net than any other place you seek.. like t.v./newspapers/local library.

i had no intentions of backing up what i say with proof such as court records , historical documents, medical journals, books, ect.. though i can assure you, i have seen plenty of proof of that nature. i was only exposing peoples to important information. i can recommend and/or post a small collection of works i have collected on my HD if you would like.. just give the word.

i do know a bit about this subject.. so can point you in the directions which helped me, if wanted.