• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What do you do when you arent on stuff?

thesean001

Bluelighter
Ohkay, so I'm kind of trying to quit for my psychologist for anxiety reasons and such. ( All i do is pop hydros / oxy, drink, and smoke weed. but i do use daily, opiates and alochol as often as I can. ) So Ive been sober ALL of today and a few days out of last week, but.. I just dont know what to do... I woke up this morning at 7 and sat at my computer and just kind of.. sat here. Id browse around.. but Ive been here for almost 12 hours now. I dont have a job ( and I couldnt hold one. I cant work with people like that : / ). I cant excercise cause my family is around. I cant drive. Im just kind of realizing that my hobbies arent fun unless Im on something. On a normal day I'd be lying on the floor just thinking about stuff happy as ever and not bored at all ;D. Now .. im just here. I hate it, to be honest. What do you suggest I do on days like this?

I've been tweaking around with what makes up a good sober day for a while and I still haven't found it. I was actually fine for the first month or two of soberiety, even though during that time I made the HUGE mistake of deciding to buy drugs on a regular basis and save them for the future (it was a routine to buy everyday). Besides this, I'd usually smoke cigarettes, listen to music, use drugs that don't cause addiction, excercise (not often) or read. Excercising was definitely a viable alterantive as it seems to provide a decent natural high once you're done with excercising but it's usually too much of a hassle. Possibly consider a strict diet on LSD once a week, and having a few beers at a party or something and not just stopping everything, since that's pretty hard.

Originally posted by thesean001
I dont have a job ( and I couldnt hold one. I cant work with people like that : / ).

People like what? People that have jobs? lol. Unless there's a medical reason why you can't work you should think about finding something. It'll get you out of the house, give you a chance to meet new people, and you'll have some extra cash. I've had plenty of base-level jobs (which I assume is what we're talking about here) that were hell, but I've had a couple I've quite enjoyed.

Originally posted by thesean001
I cant excercise cause my family is around.

Don't make excuses! Exercise works wonders for increasing motivation and mood. Are there no times at all during the week where you can get out of the house and go for a run? Or take up some form of team sport if running bores you.

What are your hobbies? If you're not finding them fun then why not investigate some new ones? If you're at that point where just getting off the computer is hard, make use of it.....start researching something you're interested in online.

Make sure you're eating properly and sleeping well....you'll feel even more tired and unmotivated if you don't.

And good job trying to quit the drugs, the pot in particular....it causes (or contributes to) anxiety for a lot of people. You didn't really mention just how bad your anxiety is - if it's that which is preventing you getting a job, going outside, exercising etc. then you need to focus all your energy on quitting and getting healthy, and practicing whatever techniques your psychologist has (hopefully) given you to help manage your anxiety.

Life will get better with time if you work at it! You've only just started to quit, so give yourself credit for that and stay positive about where you're headed.

Exercise is key. Certainly has softened the blow of the lack of blow for me. It's good to just zone out and, for a bit, you get that nice endorphin buzz that is cleaner than any opiate I've used. Helps me sleep too.

^^ Yah exercising is great. The endorphin buzz truly is pretty decent and I get a sense of pride that I've actually gotten off of my ass and done something productive hah..

^^^fucking YEAH. So true . I used to exercise consistently for a good five years, than I got into heavy drugs and I stopped for a couple of years....it is MUCH harder to get back on track when it's been such a long ass time since you left off. Drugs aren't a substitute for wellness & health, physically, emotionally, mentally. No way. That's the rub and we usually learn this the HARD way, like I did.

I dont have a job ( and I couldnt hold one. I cant work with people like that : / ). I cant excercise cause my family is around. I cant drive. Im just kind of realizing that my hobbies arent fun unless Im on something.

It seems to me at this point in your life you're still not set on accomplishing any of these......trust me, I know the feeling. I made excuses for myself and others about why I wasnt working, why I didn't exercise, etc. It took me a LONG time to sober up, and it wasn't so hard to get my ass off and actually DO stuff I've been planning to do for the past 2 years. Exercise is a good start, plus ask yourself: What inspires you? What do you want to achieve? Take it day by day.

I take more pleasure now in the simple things like eating, sleeping well, and waking up knowing I don't ever have to fiend anymore......stuff I took for granted for a long time.

I think you will find in the long run that living healthily is far more rewarding than any high a drug can bring, and there's no comedown, which is a big plus.

rat tat tat tat said:
I've been tweaking around with what makes up a good sober day for a while and I still haven't found it.

Just ask yourself this: Was I ever happy before using recreational drugs? If the answer is yes, then the things you did then to trigger happiness are what made up good, sober days.

Disco Stu said:
Just ask yourself this: Was I ever happy before using recreational drugs? If the answer is yes, then the things you did then to trigger happiness are what made up good, sober days.

It ain't like that, oh course I was happy before I used drugs. I'm happy when I'm not using them but if I had a choice of being happy (the feeling that all these squares have draped over them constantly) or being in a completely perfect dream, nodding in and out of conciousness without a care in the world then I'll chose the second. Not to mention the fact that at the moment I have over $2,000 waiting to be spent on drugs.

Most of these activities were done in conjunction with drugs to enhance them, so doing the activity by itself makes it seem a little striped down.

Going to work isn't anyone's favorite thing, but it's something we all must do b/c we all need money.

I would suggest you find a job. It's a great way to meet new people and money is always good. It will be a good cycle. You will have something to do b/c you have to work and if you make friends at work you can hang out with them and then sooner or later you'll have so much to do, you'll wish you were bored again. :)

Summer college classes are about to start. You could take a class or take a non-school class like glass blowing or something.

rat tat tat tat said:
Not to mention the fact that at the moment I have over $2,000 waiting to be spent on drugs.
You know...you *could* spend that $2000 on something other than drugs ;)

It sounds to me like you don't actually want to quit drugs.
(1) "I'm trying to quit for my psychologist" - I'm pretty sure there's nothing in it for your psychologist either way. S/he wants you to quit for your sake! What do *you* want?
(2) "Don't...couldn't...can't...can't...can't". I'm quoting you directly here. Either go back to using drugs and deal with the consequences, or resolve yourself that your drug use is causing you problems, and start looking for solutions.

Here's how I think of it. When you're older, do you think you'd want to look back at a life spent lying on the floor, or a life of diverse, happy memories? I'm not saying you should ditch drugs for good. I like drugs and they like me. The thing is, it's generally more fun when they're a *part* of your lilfe, rather than your *whole* life.

There are a bunch of good threads in The Dark Side on recovery things to do. What I do is run, draw, paint, write, talk to friends, rearrange furniture, cook myself something healthy, meditate and introspect. For me, the most important thing was switching off the computer and getting reacquainted with the real world. Stick at it and you'll find ways to keep yourself entertained.

rat tat tat tat said:
Not to mention the fact that at the moment I have over $2,000 waiting to be spent on drugs.

Yet you don't have a job? From the information given, I have a feeling you're a young kid living off his/her family, with no pressure to support yourself.

An enviable situation, but I doubt its gonna last.

Learn to work, and make some money, ya spoiled bitch.

Then again I'm in a fairly similar position (not as spoiled I imagine), and I don't abuse it by not working and doing large amounts of drugs with their money.

^^^ i agree, get a job u bum!
and if u truely love ur drugs soooo much just think, the more money u make working the more money u'll have to spend on drugs!
or like other ppl said allready, u could just spend the money on things other than drugs. u kno things that ll be around for a while and wont just be gone after u smoke/eat ect them.

Put on some fuckin headphones go outside and just take a walk or go find your mates and talk about something with em. It always works for me when I'm bored.
And the most important thing is FIND A JOB!
People get bored when they don't have anything to do.
A job will keep you occupied and you'll earn some extra cash to spend on whatever you want

What you need is PURPOSE. Get some goals. They don't have to be magnificent.

1. Practice guitar for an hour a day. Do drills. buy a lesson book and practice them.

2. Go jogging for thirty minutes every day. It's free!

3. Read the entire New York Times. Look up all the words you don't know.

4. Beat a video game. Don't have any? Buy one.

5. Can't afford a guitar or video game? Get a job!

6. Make friends! Get out, take a night class at the local community college. (Can't afford tuition? Financial aid is available. You may also refer to #5.)

7. Think up some longer term goals "buy a car", etc. Plan as to how much money you're going to save toward your car (fun trick: Add up the costs of all your drugs every week. Put that toward a car in a separate, new savings account. Should start piling up in the bank and helping your self esteem)

8. Read books (The library is free). Read fiction books (find a genre you like). Read some science-y books and teach yourself how to do something (Are you good with computers? But a "Teach yourself C++" or "Teach yourself web programming in 2 weeks" book.) Stay away from books about drugs or pharmacology, they'll make you want to do more. Pick up a hobby like arts and crafts. Work on embroidering something, or weaving necklaces, or making baskets. You don't have to be particularly artistic, just willing to follow a pattern and keep working for several hours.

^^^great advice.

crystalcallas had some great points as well. to me, you just seem like your still fighting and not ready to give up drugs. hopefully you'll see in time how fucked up it makes your life, and you'll turn around before its too late. best of luck.

If you feel yourself somehow incapable of having a job, you might as well just kill yourself now, because in the real world if you don't work you fucking starve. End of story.

Roger&Me said:
If you feel yourself somehow incapable of having a job, you might as well just kill yourself now, because in the real world if you don't work you fucking starve. End of story.

Thats right find a job.. there are 1000's of jobs that will employ inexperienced people, get off your arse and do something constructive with your life. im trying not to be mean but really! you seem like a slack person that suffers from a lack of self control. You have to try in life, nothing will come to you served on a plate. (unless you are a spoilt brat with rich parents)

Find a job, SAVE your money, dont spend it on shit just save it untill you find something that can entertain you or better you as a person. if you accomplish those tasks you will look at this post and laugh at how much of a slack arse bludger you were.