• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

New Study Finds That Rap Music Drives You To Drink and Do Drugs

fruitfly

Bluelight Crew
A new study has revealed that youths who listen to rap music are more prone to alcohol and drug use and aggressive behavior.

A survey of over 1,000 community college students showed that rap was continually linked to alcohol use, potential alcohol use, drug use and aggressive behavior. Alcohol and drug use were also linked to techno and reggae music. The results were reportedly not affected by the students' gender or ethnicity.

"People should be concerned about rap and Hip-Hop being used to market alcoholic beverages, given the alcohol, drug and aggression problems among listeners," lead author Meng-Jinn Chen, Ph.D., a research scientist at the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation's (PIRE) Prevention Research Center, said in a statement. "That's particularly true considering the popularity of rap and Hip-Hop among young people."

Rap artists and music have been used in ads for malt liquor and other alcoholic beverages in the past. Wu-Tang Clan endorsed St. Ides malt liquor back in the mid '90s while Rakim has appeared recently on a billboard for Hennessey. More recently, Fat Joe has been appearing in Bacardi advertisements. With Cam'ron, Lil' Flip, Damon Dash and Jermaine Dupri having recently launched their own liquor brands, artists are increasingly putting out their own alcoholic products. Also, the urban contemporary radio format, which includes rap music, is often used for alcohol ads.

The study is slated to appear in the May issue of the Journal of Studies on Alcohol. The study surveyed over 1,000 students between the ages of 15 and 25. They were questioned on their music preferences, alcohol use, drug use and aggressive behaviors like getting into altercation and instigating fights or threatening others.

Researchers noted that the survey can't determine whether listening to particular music genres prompt alcohol or drug use or aggressive behavior. On the other hand, researchers believe that youths with a penchant for alcohol use, drug use and aggressive behavior may be attracted to specific types of music.

"While we don't fully understand the relationship between music preferences and behavioral outcomes, our study shows that young people may be influenced by frequent exposure to music lyrics that make positive references to substance abuse and violence," Meng-Jinn explained.

Recent studies of popular music showed that nearly 50% of rap songs include mentions of alcohol in comparison to 10% or less in other popular music genres. Studies also showed that close to two thirds or rap cuts mentioned drug use in comparison to one-tenth of songs in other genres. Also, rap and rock music videos show violence twice as often as other genres.

Meanwhile, the Pire study, "Music, Substance Use and Aggression," revealed that reggae came second to rap in regards to leading youths to consume alcohol or drugs. Rap beat all genres when linked to alcohol, drug use and aggression.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Study Finds That Rap Music Drives You To Drink and Do Drugs
By Carl Chery, SOHH.com
April 17, 2006

Link

This study is a complete waste of time. I think everyone already knows that certain music genres are linked to certain drugs. And I don't get how lyrics are driving people to use drugs when so many people take xtc and k when listening to electronic music that have no lyrics.

Researchers noted that the survey can't determine whether listening to particular music genres prompt alcohol or drug use or aggressive behavior.

At least they admit that. The heading of the article is ridiculous given all they seem to have found is a correlation.

They might be onto something about the violence, as there's always a decent chance of a shooting or stabbing or fight at the RnB/hip hop clubs around here.

As for the drugs, most people I know that mainly like that sort of music won't touch anything beyond weed and maybe ecstasy.

The question is not how absurd the study is, but who even comes up with ideas for such "studies" ? wtf

This study is held at a community college, the title is fucking misleading and they put reggae in second?

Is there a margin of error? Did they use statistics? lol.

"New Study Finds That Rap Music Drives You To Drink and Do Drugs "

"Researchers noted that the survey can't determine whether listening to particular music genres prompt alcohol or drug use or aggressive behavior. On the other hand, researchers believe that youths with a penchant for alcohol use, drug use and aggressive behavior may be attracted to specific types of music. "

What the fuck?

The first thing you learn in a Psych 101 class is that correlation != causation.

Lame -- people who don't possess an analytical eye or don't care to analyze the article, might read this and believe it to be true.

sex drugs and rock n roll

Recent studies of popular music showed that nearly 50% of rap songs include mentions of alcohol in comparison to 10% or less in other popular music genres. Studies also showed that close to two thirds or rap cuts mentioned drug use in comparison to one-tenth of songs in other genres. Also, rap and rock music videos show violence twice as often as other genres.

thats because most other genres of music can usually "mask" what the songs are about enough that they dont have to bleep out every other word

8)

rap music's lyrics openly advocate violence, and i dont have much against the music itself but i kno many people who idolize the rappers and try to be like them and live the lifestyle theyre describing. i obviously could be wrong but its just my view of it. as far as drugs go, most of the rap fans i kno just smoke weed, drink alcohol, and do coke, and view the "good stuff" (mdma, lsd, ketamine, 2ci, opiates) as "crazy". its true that many trance/psytrance fans take mdma/ketamine/lsd, but thats cuz it fits very well with the music. (although many times there are psychedelic references, in LOTS of psytrance, 1200 mics, hallucinogen and shpongle come to mind). It should be no surprise that rap advocates violence tho, look at the lyrics (and none of the "its just music" crap, i think we all kno many people who are deeply influenced by rap, and any other genre for that matter)

and altho rap most vocally advocates this stuff, (its fucking rap, its all lyrics, cmon) it doesnt neccesarily promote drug use more so than trance, for example (altho the violence, i cant argue with.. but it should be noted that metal, which i happen to be a fan of, is pretty damn violent as well).. and whats up with reggae at second? altho it does sound nice after smoking a few bowls =)

FractalStructure said:
and altho rap most vocally advocates this stuff, (its fucking rap, its all lyrics, cmon) it doesnt neccesarily promote drug use more so than trance, for example (altho the violence, i cant argue with.. but it should be noted that metal, which i happen to be a fan of, is pretty damn violent as well).. and whats up with reggae at second? altho it does sound nice after smoking a few bowls =)

What are most common lyrics in trance tunes ?

be freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

=D

Trance led me to my ecstasy usage. I felt great while listening to the shit so I decided why not kick it a notch? And here I am today. But seriously, people make the choice to indulge in a substance, not the music.

Self-selection bias much? Has anyone else heard of this? This is pretty retarted, wouldn't it be more likely that people who are more aggressive are drawn to to Rap and Hip-Hop more to begin with, than say someone who is attracted to Kenny G? Fun stuff, really.

Mr. Trips said:
Self-selection bias much? Has anyone else heard of this? This is pretty retarted, wouldn't it be more likely that people who are more aggressive are drawn to to Rap and Hip-Hop more to begin with, than say someone who is attracted to Kenny G? Fun stuff, really.

IF they really wanted to prove correlation = causation, your model would be more logical, however, with correlation -- you can view it from either side.

Which is why we learn that correlation != causation.

"We have reviewed the records and it appears that all crimes committed in the last ten years were commited by people with brains. Insofacto, this means that people with brains MUST commit crimes!"

Obviously, that's a severe overstatement.

Where was I again?

Crazeee said:
The question is not how absurd the study is, but who even comes up with ideas for such "studies" ? wtf

The people who are selflessly trying to protect the youth from that devil weed and they're worried that the damn rap music gets everyone too hippy-hoppity hopped up.

It's just like the '50's when everyone was worried about rock music and they outlawed dancing in public. 8o

I believe this study!

I listened to vanilla ice a few nights ago and smashed my TV!

TheSimpsons :)

Shits ridiculous....what about.....Hmmm......the primary genre of music that people in poverty areas listen to is usually rap......poverty breeds crime.....wait, no that would make sense and then we couldnt call rap the devil. BUMMER!