• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Amphetamine-Linked Free Radicals Damage the Brain

chemicalwasteland

Bluelighter
Thu Apr 13, 7:08 PM ET

THURSDAY, April 13 (HealthDay News) -- Researchers say they've gained new insight into how amphetamines like ecstasy or "crystal meth" harm the brain.

In studies with mice, a team at the University of Toronto found that these drugs are converted in the brain into free radicals -- highly reactive molecules that cause neurodegenerative brain damage. The effects of this free radical damage can linger a long time after the amphetamine has left the body, the researchers say. Free radicals have been implicated in neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

The Toronto team also believes that prostaglandin H synthase (PHS) -- an enzyme that synthesizes a range of hormones -- plays a critical role in the transformation of amphetamines into free radicals.

The findings appear in the April issue of the FASEB Journal, published by the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology.

Further study is required to determine if these findings apply to humans, the researchers said.

The findings about the role of PHS in converting amphetamines into free radicals in the brain may be relevant to neurodegenerative risks associated with aging, the researchers said.

"Preliminary results from other studies suggest that PHS may convert other compounds in our brains into free radicals, and there is some evidence in the clinical literature that suggests patients who take high does of PHS-inhibiting drugs such as aspirin may experience less neurodegeneration," study lead author Professor Peter Wells, of the Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy, said in a prepared statement.

"The potential of substances like aspirin to prevent neurodegenerative damage merits more examination, particularly among people who take it chronically for pain," Wells said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20060413/hl_hsn/amphetaminelinkedfreeradicalsdamagethebrain

"...amphetamines like ecstasy or "crystal meth" harm the brain."

I love how they get them confused and use two different slang names for two different drugs to describe a totally different chemical. =D

"The effects of this free radical damage can linger a long time after the amphetamine has left the body, the researchers say. Free radicals have been implicated in neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's."

I thought I read somewhere that amphetamines can actually help with Parkinson's by increasing levels of dopamine. :|

All in all, this study isn't very groundbreaking. We all know that speed abuse can cause neurological damage. My question is whether therapeutic doses of amphetamines can cause severe free radical formation/damage in neurons. Apparently the FDA deems them "safe" for long term use in children. 8) What doses were they giving the mice, anyway?

disco stu, Crystal Meth=Methamphetamine, and A in MDMA stands for amphetamine

RollinJ said:
disco stu, Crystal Meth=Methamphetamine, and A in MDMA stands for amphetamine

Yes, but the chemical structure of all three is different, as well as certain effects. That's what I was getting at.

Disco Stu said:
Yes, but the chemical structure of all three is different, as well as certain effects. That's what I was getting at.

Yea, no one should mix street names (Methylenedioxy Nazi Crank 8))

Disco Stu - the chemical structure is different, obviously, but they are ALL AMPHETAMINES. That's the entire point.

And I don't understand why this is supposed to be news. If this is news, I want to see a report on the oxidative/free radical damage caused by alcohol.

I wont believe this until it's on the truth commericals. Oh wait, I did see the one on ecstasy, nevermind...

I think it's obvious that drugs that stimulate the brain increase "free radicals". I'm sure caffeine does also. It's how your brain deals with the oxidations that is important (and worthy, as the article mentions, of further study for prevention).

More stress = more free radicals.

lifeisforliving said:
I think it's obvious that drugs that stimulate the brain increase "free radicals". I'm sure caffeine does also. It's how your brain deals with the oxidations that is important (and worthy, as the article mentions, of further study for prevention).

More stress = more free radicals.

Anxiety and worry probably generate free radicals too, as well as everyday stress.

^ Agreed. It's about the intensity and for what length the oxidative stress occurs. Such as the comparison of "one night out on MDMA" vs. "a 3 day binge no sleep on meth". It's not only the drug's direct effects - it's about how long the body/brain must go before sleep/food/drink etc.

We're built to have a good sleep each night. Even without drugs, staying up multiple days does nasty things to the brain/body.

chemicalwasteland said:
Thu Apr 13, 7:08 PM ET

THURSDAY, April 13 (HealthDay News) -- Researchers say they've gained new insight into how amphetamines like ecstasy or "crystal meth" ...
or ritalin...

i really hat it when nonconclusive studies like this are taken as far out of context as this article does, they really haven't made the solid conections to sway my opinion from previous less pointed research

narcistador said:
i really hat it when nonconclusive studies like this are taken as far out of context as this article does, they really haven't made the solid conections to sway my opinion from previous less pointed research

You can't deny the fact that many long-term tweakers and speed abusers clearly have neurological damage. 8)

narcistador i really hat it when nonconclusive studies like this are taken as far out of context as this article does, they really haven't made the solid conections to sway my opinion from previous less pointed research

Disco Stu said:
You can't deny the fact that many long-term tweakers and speed abusers clearly have neurological damage. 8)

Disco Stu, where did narcistador state that he denied that meth tweekers don't get neurological damage?

All the article states is that they believe amphetamines increase oxidative stress. Many things increase oxidative stress.

lifeisforliving said:
Disco Stu, where did narcistador state that he denied that meth tweekers don't get neurological damage?

All the article states is that they believe amphetamines increase oxidative stress. Many things increase oxidative stress.

Free radicals in brain from amphetamine abuse = neurological damge.