• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Natural sweetener

nitelife

Bluelighter
Anybody here use natural sweetener? I've been using Stevia on just about everything from teas to oatmeal. i just love the taste and knowing that it's non-caloric makes it more addicting. I havent' tried it with cooking yet. i read that it's not as effective in cooking becuz of the high starch content. there's another plant extract type of natural sweetener called Rakanka that's supposed to be good for cooking. there's not much info on it other than this site

http://www.healthygourmetstore.com/itemra-01.html

Stevia is my favorite sweetener for stuff like yogurt, oatmeal, tea, and other things. I like the liquid extract more than the powdered stuff.

stevia is a good sweetener but it has a unusual taste to it. I also use either maple syrup or honey to sweeten things, maple syrup being my favourite as it has a delicious flavour. if you want something natural but are worried about calories id go with stevia but if not the others dont hurt. refined sugar is awful is like eating a drug. its evil lol.

yellodolphin said:
stevia is a good sweetener but it has a unusual taste to it. I also use either maple syrup or honey to sweeten things, maple syrup being my favourite as it has a delicious flavour. if you want something natural but are worried about calories id go with stevia but if not the others dont hurt. refined sugar is awful is like eating a drug. its evil lol.

I find that it takes way too much maple syrup and honey in most things to sweeten them as compared to something like stevia. My oatmeal would probably have 200 more calories if I used anything but stevia.

200 calories?
That's substantially more than a can of soda.
I mean, if you're trying to make some sort of oatmeal dessert concoction, that's cool...

ebola

MynameisnotDeja said:
I use splenda. I dont think its natural though, so I dont know.
Splenda is made from a sugar derivative. As such, it actually contains a negligible amount of calories, like if you're baking with it. I find it to be the most natural tasting "fake sugar" out there. I have an uncle who's a prominent chef in NYC, and also the father of three diabetic children, and he swears by the stuff.

ebola? said:
200 calories?
That's substantially more than a can of soda.
I mean, if you're trying to make some sort of oatmeal dessert concoction, that's cool...

ebola

That's only about 3 tablespoons of honey, and a cup of cooked oats is pretty sizeable.

ebola? said:
I usually put on like 1.5 tsp of honey per cup.

ebola

Whatever, I guess I just like slightly sweeter oatmeal. :) That's why stevia's a godsend, in my opinion. It's a bit pricey, but beats the hell out of shady artificial sweeteners.

I usually go for honey, maple syrup, coconut nectar, or raw sugar. Stevia is fine, but sometimes it has this weird bitter taste... takes some getting used to! Best breakfast cereal ever: puffed millet + coconut milk + stevia. Mmm..

Cinnamon works fine for me . Plus the wonderful thing about it , is it not only tastes great, it also regulates blood sugar levels.