• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Australians top global ecstasy users

Ultrapsyber

Bluelighter
Australians top global ecstasy users
-taken from ABC News Online website (link below)

The National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre says ecstasy continues to be a popular recreational drug in Australia, while other drugs have gained more favour overseas.

The centre's spokesman, Paul Dillon, was commenting on figures collected by the United Nations that Australia's ecstasy use far outstrips any other country, including Britain.

He says that is despite the higher price paid here of around $35 a tablet, compared with about $2.50 overseas.

Mr Dillon says it is not that Australians are bigger drug users overall, but that people overseas have switched to other drugs.

"Ecstasy is not seen as being a quality drug, it's not seen as a 'good value for money drug'," he said.

"So what is happening is that people are not simply stopping taking drugs, and I think that's the important part here, they actually swapped to another substance, [which is] often much more dangerous.

"For example, in that case, they're moving to cocaine."

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200603/s1601380.htm

8)

Ummmmm... so people are switching from ecstacy to cocaine because it has a greater value for money???

And now cocaine is more dangerous???

Who the fuck is this Mr Dildo fella?

Hmm the sources for the article seem questionable to say the least. Why would a country with probably highest e prices be a biggest consumer ? It doesn't make any sense.

Paul dillon is actually pretty well informed and usually the only person who has anything reasonable to say on Australian drug use. Im sure those quotes were taken completly out of context (like the media usually does to him)

That statistic that supports the contention is from UNODC Annual Report 2004. The data was collected in 2001 for Australia, showing that 3.4% of the population over 14 claimed to have tried ecstasy, higher than the second highest percentage which was the UK (2.0%).

More info & source
Related thread: Aus Drug Discussion

tambourine-man said:
Ummmmm... so people are switching from ecstacy to cocaine because it has a greater value for money???

Where does it say that? It says people use ecstacy because it has value for money, but ISNT quality - so are now switching more to what they see as a quality drug; cocaine.

Knowing the sheer amount of people who drop in the uk every weekend, I really doubt Ozzy use more of it.

Why do Aussie's pay so much? Is is the value of their dollar or just an expensive trend?

Cuz no one wants to ship to that little island. Most coke gets shipped to US and Europe not the outback. They pay top notch for most drugs I think.

35AUD = £14.15 or $24.70. 8o 8o 8o

Holy shit. I would probably pay that if they were *guaranteed* to be good pills, but still... there's probably the same variation in quality as there is elsewhere. :\

The last I purchased were $35 each (I got four of them). All drugs, aside from meth and cannabis, are pricey over here.

Knowing the sheer amount of people who drop in the uk every weekend, I really doubt Ozzy use more of it.

thats what i thought before i moved to perth