Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Daily Telegraph - 27/03/2006 'Evil drink spikers target thousands'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Evil drink spikers target thousands
By CLARE MASTERS Health Reporter
March 27, 2006

DRINK spiking has soared to record levels, with some NSW hospitals reporting a 50 per cent increase in the number of overdoses involving date-rape drugs.

Despite the alarming figures, an investigation by The Daily Telegraph has revealed the Government ignored calls for action from its own advisory body.

The crisis comes as cases including the cruise ship death of mother-of-three Dianne Brimble and the jailing of two drink spikers shock the nation.

Predators are using drug cocktails – some illegal, others legal prescription drugs – to prey on victims, and police want tougher laws to fight the crisis.

Drugs used to spike drinks are being sold for as little as $30 on Sydney streets.

A government working party recommended to the NSW Attorney-General's department that laws involving drink spiking be given a massive overhaul, but Cabinet is yet to act.

Police are now at a stalemate, unable to deal efficiently with criminals until legislation is tightened to include more specific drink-spiking offences.

The Daily Telegraph has obtained a copy of the report by the NSW Drink Spiking Action Group late last year which called for the Government to adopt new procedures for police and hospital workers and improve training for hospitality staff.

But the overhaul has been put on the back-burner despite Sydney hospitals recording a doubling in overdoses of a popular date rape drug.

Doctors and police say they have seen an increase of drink spiking with prescription drugs as well as illicit drug gamma hydroxybutyrate – the drug that allegedly killed cruise ship victim Dianne Brimble.

One metropolitan hospital recorded a 53 per cent increase in GHB-related cases during February 2006 compared to the previous two years.

In 12 months from July 2002 to July 2003 up to 4000 people had their drinks spiked, with about a third of these involving sexual assault.

Figures from South-West Sydney Area Health's sexual assault unit show a 9 per cent increase since 1998 in sexual assault following drink spiking.

Shadow attorney-general Chris Hartcher said the Government was "sitting on its hands".

"There is a need to protect women from predators and the Government is failing," he said.

A spokesman for NSW Attorney-General Bob Debus said the report had been delayed as more work needed to be done to develop a national approach.

"In a matter of weeks we will be looking to bring to NSW Cabinet a proposal to deal with this type of abhorrent conduct," he said.

Drug squad commander Detective Superintendent David Laidlaw said the working group wanted drink spiking laws tightened.

"There are a limited amount of offences (perpetrators) can be charged with, we are endeavouring to to get specific legislation through that would give us greater powers to undertake investigations," he said.

St Vincent's Hospital emergency services director Professor Gordian Fulde said he had seen more victims drugged with GHB, which can be bought on the street for less than $30.

"It is increasing because drugs are available – drugs like GHB are not hard to get," he said.

National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre information officer Paul Dillon said drugs including prescription medication and alcohol were more likely to be used by drug spikers.

He said GHB was not odourless or tasteless and was so volatile that when mixed with alcohol or other drugs could swiftly induce unconsciousness or death.

"The drugs that are usually mentioned are the most least likely to be used," he said.

The report suggested surveillance equipment should be improved in bars and clubs, a register be created to log all incidences of spiking and hospitality workers receive training.

From The Daily Telegraph

Swimmer's drink spike claim
March 27, 2006

AUSTRALIAN swimming gold medallist Joanna Fargus has told police she believes her drink was spiked during Commonwealth Games celebrations at a Melbourne venue.

Australian Games team chef de mission John Devitt today said Fargus, the 200m backstroke champion, believed she had her drink spiked while out celebrating on the weekend.

"Late on Saturday night an Australian Commonwealth Games swimmer, Joanna Fargus, was with a group of team mates enjoying an evening out when she said she felt dizzy and nauseous," Devitt said in a statement.

"Joanna was assisted immediately by ambulance officers and the management of the swimming team was notified.

"Joanna and her team mates returned to the village where she was examined by the team's medical staff. It is believed her drink may have been spiked.

"Joanna has recovered fully and will fly home to Brisbane this evening.

"The matter is now in the hands of Victoria Police."

A Metropolitan Ambulance Service spokeswoman confirmed the incident took place at The Last Lap, a nightclub at the Queensbridge Hotel in Queensbridge Road, Southbank.

"We were called to the Last Lap at 20 past 12 on Saturday night. We were called to a female in her 20s who was unconscious or fainting, but we did not transport her," she said.

Victoria Police chief commissioner Christine Nixon said officers were investigating the report and had gathered evidence that was being scientifically tested.

"There was a report of an Australian athlete who was suspected of her drink being spiked," Ms Nixon told reporters.

"We're investigating that. It's now handed to Task Force Diamond to ascertain whether that occurred and our forensic people became involved pretty much straight away."

Ms Nixon said the athlete had not been assaulted or harmed following the drink-spiking incident, and had reported the matter to police patrolling near the venue as soon as she suspected something was wrong.

Test results on the glass and other material were expected within days, Ms Nixon said.

"Police may also view video surveillance of the venue," she said.

Task Force Diamond is part of the Commonwealth Games security shield, and is made up of leading detectives from the Victoria Police crime department.

Comment was being sought from the Last Lap nightclub, set up for Commonwealth Games athletes by businessman and former AFL footballer Craig Kelly.

Kelly along with his partners set up similar, highly-successful Last Lap venues at the Sydney Olympics in 2000 and the Winter Olympics at Salt Lake City in 2002.

Games chief Ron Walker today told Southern Cross radio the alleged drink-spiking incident was very sad, but something Games organisers had no control over.

"I haven't been briefed on that this morning. If that is true its very sad," he said.

"It was certainly out of our control. If it did happen, it is a very sad reflection on those people that do it."

From The Daily Telegraph

Damn I hate drink spiking. Its the lowest possible form of drug use. All benzos should have a die in them so the drink changes colour, not just some.

Having worked in the industry for years, spoken to cops/ambos etc on countless occasions I actually think the true level of drink spiking with drugs other than alcohol isn't as great as "reported" in the media.

Too many people constantly drink too much (and take other drugs)...loose control of their actions, wake up in some strangers bed, can't remember, feel embarassed, etc...and then 'blame' a drink spiker.

There is absofuckinglutely no doubt that drink spiking is the lowest of the low...but too many times the culprat is excessive alchohol...and in many cases its not even a case of a guy being sneaky and buying doubles every round so the girl doesn't realise how much she's been drinking.

Years ago when people got to drunk at Christmas parties and slept with someone they shouldn't have there was no excuse other than drinking too much...when the same thing happens now and drink spiking is the excuse.

Drink spiking is a serious issue, and clubs/bars/police need to do something about it (and indeed are doing something about it - a friend is an undercover cop (she's a little hottie) and is constantly in clubs, not trying to bust drug users, but rather trying to tempt possible spikers)...but I think people also need to take responsibility for their own actions in many cases and realise/remember that alchohol alone...and the alchohol you buy alone is a powerful drug...especially if you mix it with MDMA, etc.

Hopefully the forensic results will be make public.

Swim star withdraws spike claim
By Natasha Robinson
March 28, 2006

GLAMOROUS swimming gold medallist Jo Fargus last night withdrew a complaint to police that she was a victim of drink spiking at a Commonwealth Games nightclub, despite needing medical treatment after falling ill following late-night revelry.

"I stand firm on my allegations but I have decided against pursing what could develop into a long and drawn out investigation," Fargus said in a statement last night.

"I have fully recovered and doctors have told me I will not have any long-term complications."

"I also underwent both a urine and blood test in the village yesterday morning and I expect to get those results back in three weeks."

An Australian team official said Fargus's decision to make the initial complaint was driven by worries the substance she suspected was put in her drink was on the banned list and could have seen her test positive in a drug test.

It is believed Fargus, 24, had blood tests taken in the athletes' village medical centre. The 200m backstroke gold medallist was examined by ambulance officers at The Last Lap nightclub at Southbank, central Melbourne, before midnight (AEDT) on Saturday after feeling nauseous and dizzy.

Her swimming teammates took her to the athletes' village, where she was examined by doctors. Police stationed at the village were notified in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon said a forensic examination had begun immediately into the incident, which is understood to have involved Fargus accepting a drink from a stranger.

The results of tests on a glass and other material, and a review of video surveillance footage, were expected by mid-week.

Australian team spokesman John Gatfield said he believed Fargus had not consumed much alcohol, if any, before taking the drink.

Ms Nixon said yesterday she was disappointed by the incident and that drink spiking was a concern to police.

"When it's an athlete who's come to do the best they can and something like this (happens), it is disappointing," she said. "But it happens in the city and we often give warnings to people in public venues about looking out for their drinks."

Before the complaint was withdrawn, police officers from Taskforce Diamond - part of the Games security shield - were investigating the incident.

Fellow swimmer Leisel Jones said she was appalled by the incident. "The sad thing is it happens all the time," she said. "It's very invasive and it makes you so vulnerable."

From News.com.au

DRINK spiking has soared to record levels, with some NSW hospitals reporting a 50 per cent increase in the number of overdoses involving date-rape drugs.

This statistic is because of an increase in GHB overdoses over the last couple years and Id bet has absolutely nothing to do with actual drink spiking.

Bent Mk2 said:
I actually think the true level of drink spiking with drugs other than alcohol isn't as great as "reported" in the media.

Too many people constantly drink too much (and take other drugs)...loose control of their actions, wake up in some strangers bed, can't remember, feel embarassed, etc...and then 'blame' a drink spiker.

Agreed, it's pretty easy to drink way to much without even realising you're doing it and now people seem have the convenient excuse that someone must of spiked their drink rather than take the blame themself. Alcohol tolerance can seem to fluctuate wildly for no reason and i've seen people blame there trashed state on suspected drink spiking or some other incorrect reason and when looked at properly it's usually the case they just drank too much. I would be surprised if the athletes test results show drugs in her system.

Whats the bet she was hammered and took a dose of G herself... sif its uncommon... "quick, say someone spiked you so we don't get in trouble"

"Better not get some innocent guy done with the spiking, quick withdraw the complaint"

thats what im drawing as a conclusion.

Spiked with a double dose of alcohol
By TORY SHEPHERD
29 Mar 2006

THE drug most likely to be used in drink spiking is not an illicit substance. It is simply more alcohol.

Health authorities said yesterday that alcohol spiking was more prevalent than drug spiking, and could make people vulnerable to sexual assault.

The issue has again been brought to public prominence by the claim of Australian swimmer Joanna Fargus that her drink had been spiked at a Commonwealth Games nightclub at the weekend.

She reported feeling dizzy and nauseous, and worried that a mystery drug might show up under the mandatory testing modern athletes face.

But Drug and Alcohol Services SA executive officer Keith Evans said there was "overwhelming evidence" that in most reported cases of drink spiking, alcohol rather than illicit drugs was used.

He also said it was not just strangers who were responsible for spiking drinks, and that some drinks were easier to spike than others.

"With spirits, it is easier to do than with beer, so without you knowing, they might order more alcohol than you were expecting," he said. "You might order a gin and tonic, and it's not too difficult to mask the taste of additional gin."

Professor Ann Roche, the director of the National Centre for Education and Training on Addiction at Flinders University, said people who were drunk were "much more vulnerable to attacks and sexual assaults".

"You are very vulnerable once you've become intoxicated, and women are particularly vulnerable," she said.

TAFE students Eloise Van'Tpadje and Stepfanie Spirat go to clubs regularly and both know people who have had their drinks spiked with more alcohol. Ms Spirat said a friend had just had a couple of drinks when she became ill, which was "scary".

"Someone we'd just met bought her a drink, and then she got sick and we had to look after her," she said.

Ms Van'Tpadje said she always took precautions against drink spiking.

"If I wanted a drink and they offered to buy me one, I would walk up to the bar with them and watch it being made," she said.

Mr Evans said drink spiking of any kind was "a very dangerous business".

"Be very careful about leaving your drink unattended," he said. "Be particularly careful if someone you don't know buys you a drink.

"Look after yourself and look after your mates."

From The Advertiser

Drink-spike swimmer thought she'd die
April 3, 2006 - 11:37AM

Commonwealth Games swimming gold medallist Joanna Fargus says she thought she would die after her drink was spiked while celebrating her Melbourne triumph.

She became the first woman to win Games medals for two different countries when she took out the 200m backstroke final in Melbourne.

Fargus, who swam for England at the Manchester Commonwealth Games four years ago, became dizzy and nauseous last Saturday week when she joined Australian teammates at Melbourne's The Last Lap nightclub, a mecca for athletes during the Games.

After starting to feel unwell, Fargus was taken back to the athletes' village to be examined by medical staff.

The 23-year-old reported the incident to Victoria Police but later withdrew her complaint because she didn't believe she could identify the culprit.

Fargus recovered at her parents' Gold Coast home.

"I was out for several minutes, but when I woke up I felt like I was going to die," she said in an interview in this week's New Idea magazine.

"I was shivering uncontrollably and sweating so much my skin was drenched. My heart was racing and I couldn't get my breath. It was the worst sensation of my life."

Fargus, who underwent a urine and blood test, rejected suggestions she may have had too much to drink.

"Drink spiking happens all the time and if people brush it off as a joke or pass blame onto the victim, nothing will be done about it and it will continue to happen to people.

"That night all I drank in the nightclub was a couple of sips from a rum and coke bought for me by a guy in a group of three who had been dancing near us.

"Whatever was in that drink was powerful. If I hadn't received a text message (to go outside) I probably would have drunk it all, so I could have died."

Hong Kong-born Fargus won a silver medal for England at the Manchester Games.

The daughter of a Scottish father and Australian mother who grew up on the Gold Coast before being sent to boarding school in England, Fargus decided last year she wanted to swim for her "real home country" Australia.

AAP

From The Age

What I don't understand is how they're blaming ghb. that stuff has a taste and if I remember rightly it was pretty foul.

fuckin rapists fuckin up good drugs reps. bent mk2 does she catch many drink spikers?
media always blows things out of proportion