Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News: Fears on mail-order drug test - The West - 20th Feb 2006

Fry-d-

Bluelight Crew
Fears on mail-order drug test

PETA RASDIEN

Mail-order drug tests are about to open a new world of opportunity for suspicious parents and employers with a WA company planning to offer online hair strand drug testing.

The test, which is available in the US and has just been put on the market in Britain, can identify exposure to a range of drugs for the preceding six months through analysis of a hair strand.

The move has raised privacy concerns among youth and drug support groups and unions.

DNA Bio Services chief executive Gary Miller, who is based in Mandurah, said the tests would be available in about two months and would cost between $200 and $300 to trace a range of drugs or about $60 for specific drugs.

People could apply online to get a test kit sent to their home and then mail the hair for analysis and get a result in seven to 10 days.

The company already has a flourishing online paternity test business and is planning to market the hair strand drug test to employers and parents.

It is believed to be the first time the test has been offered to the public in Australia.

"The potential is vast, it can be used from a parent perspective; instead of confronting a teenager and saying are you using drugs, you can do the hair test to get peace of mind yourself," Mr Miller said.

"Then you will have the facts in front of you and then you can confront it and deal with the issue.

"Obviously one of the biggest markets (will be) employees, not just in the mining industry but the building industry, bus drivers, train drivers."

Mr Miller said parents would not require a child's consent for them to be tested but adults would have to give permission for their hair to be analysed.

Privacy Commissioner Karen Curtis said that with rapid advances in technology there had to be careful consideration of the complex privacy issues surrounding genetic information.

In a submission to the 2003 joint inquiry into the protection of human genetic information, Commissioner Curtis raised concerns about the potential unethical or unlawful use of information by testing organisations and samples being submitted without consent.

UnionsWA secretary Dave Robinson said he was vehemently opposed to the introduction of the tests in the workplace.

"I'd see that as a massive invasion of privacy that has no bearing on their competence to do their job," he said.

Family Drug Support chief executive and founder Tony Trimingham, whose son died of a heroin overdose in 1997, said though he could see the tests may be useful in the workplace he did not support parents using them.

"If somebody is under 16 then maybe you could make a case for it than if they were over that age, but generally speaking nothing beats old-fashioned communication and trust and when you start to throw drug tests at kids that is not likely to happen."

The WA Chamber of Commerce and Industry and the Chamber of Minerals and Energy declined to comment.

From The West Australian

Great so my mum could pull one of my curlies out of the shower and bust me?

LOL

Pity its so expensive for the comprehensive test. I was going to suggest rolling a hair in a solution of a tablet and water, then sending that in as a "pill test by proxy" ;)

On a more serious note; the test itself is nothing new - hair analysis for drugs- its simply that its more convenient doing it via an online order. The technology has been substantially improved over recent years, so accuracy is not an issue and masking agents such as dyes and peroxide apparently don't affect results.

This form of testing, if adopted, will present problems for many industry workers. Just what will be the overall outcome is anyones guess. Perhaps for some people, declining the test will be considered less impacting than being labeled a regular user. They might lose the job, but the career might be salvageable.

Could one simply say for something like methamphetamine that they had cold and flu pills in the last six months and the tests were picking up ephedrine?

When they say adults will have to give permission, yet kids require no consent, does that mean 18+ or what? Im 18 and if i find out my parents have secretly taken a hair sample and sent it in ill fuckin key their cars.

Im very very protective of my own privacy, and anyone who tries to intervene with that is in my bad books.

Could one simply say for something like methamphetamine that they had cold and flu pills in the last six months and the tests were picking up ephedrine?

No, the test is likely to be GC/MS not immuno-related.

Edit: Correction, after reading Fry-d-'s post properly it seems it might be some form of DNA processing, perhaps involving electrophoresis.

Last edited:
Yeah a big fuck you to those involved from my corner...

This will be a great way to ruin the trust relationship teenagers have with their parents. Not to mention raise unnecessary questions about employees who may have taken something half a year previous, which has nothing to do with their level of competency in the workplace :/.

I imagine this is related as it's also from WA

Fast drug test kits to hit pharmacies
February 22, 2006 - 5:29PM

It will take just seven minutes and cost less than $25 for parents to test their children for illicit drugs when a Perth company releases its new saliva test in pharmacies in May.

Harrington Group says the quick and simple drug screening kit is a breakthrough in the battle against Australia's high level of illicit recreational and workplace drug use.

But a civil libertarian hopes parents will boycott the product, calling the impending launch of OraLine tests in national pharmacies a counterproductive money making exercise exploiting parents' worst nightmares.

Harrington Group's managing director Peter Boonen said the OraLine saliva drug screening kits were a step up from existing urine and hair tests.

"Parents will be able to purchase a simple saliva test for less than $25 with which they can test a teenager for up to four illicit drugs, including marijuana, opiates, methamphetamines and cocaine, in less than seven minutes," Mr Boonen said.

"Existing urine and hair tests do not identify impairment or recent drug use but cover historical use or exposure of up to six months which is arguably a period an employer for example would have no right to test."

But President of the Australian Council for Civil Liberties, Terry O'Gorman, says he thinks parents will find the tests counterproductive.

"Even if they find evidence of drug use, dealing with it in this law enforcement mode simply guarantees that children will tune out from meaningful discussion that would get them off drugs," Mr O'Gorman said.

"I've got this concern, that this is simply a money making exercise exploiting a parent's worst nightmare."

OraLine is already sold into workplace and global roadside testing markets but the move into pharmacies is designed to take the product to a broader market.

It is owned by Perth-based Harrington's 40 per cent owned subsidiary Sun Biomedical Laboratories.

From The Age

I guess since we're turning into the USA in most other respects, why not also in the context of disciplinarian parents who want obedient children but can't spare the time to actually care and leave it to technology and big brother to spy for them.

:\

What would be a good idea is to supply roadside type breath test kits (e.g. drug wipe), so that a person may check their status before deciding they're safe to drive.

^that would be a good idea, but it would sadly been seen as giving approval to social drug use. the unfortunate logic is that since drugs are illegal, why would we want to test ourselves, except to avoid getting caught?

why would we want to test ourselves, except to avoid getting caught?

I suppose that is the mentality with opponents, but surely someone would see the sense in allowing individuals to avoid risking an accident. I suppose all drug users are scum [sic], and there's certainly no such thing as a responsible and caring drug user 8)

Anton_Fairfax said:
^that would be a good idea, but it would sadly been seen as giving approval to social drug use. the unfortunate logic is that since drugs are illegal, why would we want to test ourselves, except to avoid getting caught?

When you think about it really, and the social conservatives like Family First keep braying on about this angle; the very idea of drug driving tests is seen to condone social drug use in that it sends the message that it's okay to take drugs as long as you don't drive.

Regardless, it doesn't seem like the saliva tests mentioned will be the same brand "Drugwipe II" that's being used in the saliva testing in Victoria currently.