• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

most powerful antioxidants?

Detrevni

Bluelighter
What are some of the most powerful antioxidants one can get from a grocery store/health food store, etc.?

i'm not sure what the most powerful antioxidants are but i know a few good ones:

Red Wine, Green Tea

I'm not sure 'most powerful' is a useful distinction. 5 mg of melatonin is a much more effective antioxidant than 5 mg of vitamin E. On the other hand, a gram of vitamin E is harmless, while less than a tenth of a gram of melatonin could be dangerous.

Looking around for exotic 'super antioxidants' is probably a waste of effort and money; just take decent doses of vitamin E and C, and more importantly, don't cause excessive oxidation in the first place through unhealthy lifestyle choices (smoking, regularly getting drunk, excessive sun exposure.)

well...

Grapeseed Extract, Selenium, Red Wine and Green tea are indeed excellent natural anti-oxydants.

Beta-Carotene and anthocyanin (minute doses in blueberries) are also very potent.

If you want to have even stronger, both the R isomer of Alpha-Lipoic Acid (R-ALA) and the fat soluble version of the CoQ10 enzyme, Idebenone, are defenitely effective, and are used for people going under chimiotherapy and other hard treatments. Both are available at some supplements store.

Try a strong dose of the two when you go out (especially if you take some pills), the difference is night and day.

Shields up! :p

Alpha Lipoic Acid is supposed to be very good. I dont know if its the most powerful but I feel a difference in my health and well being when I take a lot of vitamin C every day. I used to have horrible gum disease (even when I took care of my teetH) and its improved greatly since Ive taken a lot of the stuff.

Dosing up artificially on antioxidants/vitamins is unnatural and I question wether taking them for a long period is actually beneficial.

Why not try the best means?Colorful fruit & veges! For veges - Broccoli, Spinach, Beetroot, carrots, tomatoes, etc. With fruit - Blueberries (one of the most antioxidant rich foods), raspberries, strawberries, grapes etc. Anything with good colour is great, and not only are you getting antioxidants, but minerals, vitamins & other phytonutrients

Last edited:
drugexpertneWAGe said:
vitamic c as ascorbic acid in gel caps....it is the strongest antioxidant known to man.

Check TheDEA.org's post several above yours.

if you want vitamin C in a far more body-friendly form, go for mineral ascorbates (calcium, or magnesium, or potassium, I think). It's a non-acidic form that will be absorbed more fully and will not put any strain on your kidney and make you pee like ascorbic acid does.

ALA I feel is indeed very good. When I take it, a couple of hours later my pee smells like it does after eating asparagus. Does anyone know if there is ALA in asparagus?

I also use OPC, which you find in grapeseeds... I found crushed and not de-oiled organic bulk grapeseeds on ebay... good source :)

I agree that getting your antioxidants from fruits and veggies is the best way. Ive always taken vitamins and antioxidants, but in the past few months (since Ive become a vegetarian) Ive eaten a TON of fruits and veggies. Ive noticed the fine lines around my eyes and mouth have actually diminished, my skin looks much younger and more vibrant and I havent come down with the flu this winter (and usually I get REALLY ill ever december/january). The veggies are making a big difference.

Thanks for all the helpful replies! I'll have to look into some of the mentioned 'potent' antioxidants above.