Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Phenergan

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
I cant seem to find out much about Phenergan, but i was prescribed it by a doctor but then went to the chemist and apparently its a OTC drug! Could this drug be the next "nurofen + OTC" craze???

I had 75mg of the stuff and it put me sleep way better then like 100mg of temazepam!!! what are your thoughts on this med?

nurofen+ was an OTC craze due it cointaining codeine. Phenergan doesn't contain codeine but it does however act on several receptor systems. It's certainly not my idea of a good time though...

About phenergan

Promethazine, a phenothiazine derivative, is a long acting antihistamine with mild atropine like anticholinergic effects and some antiserotonin effects, and because of its marked effect on the cental nervous system, acts as an antiemetic, hypnotic, tranquillizer, and a potentiator of anaethetics, hypnotics, sedatives and analgesics

Last edited:
What are antiserotonin effects exactly?

I have a small stash of phenergan for times when sleeping is proving very difficult or I really need a lot of sleep to catch up. It basically makes you hibernate, I'll sleep up to 15 hours after that stuff, hence not using it unless I really feel I need to. I had no idea this stuff was OTC tho, its a fairly powerful drug IMHO :\

i got it injected to me when i was young and was out like a light for twelve ours plus. I woke up at one stage and felt like it was a dream or something, wonder how it would go with K?

I'll ask our resident experts BilZ0r and fastandbulbous to address these questions.

My first 'trip' was on phenergan... ahhhh to be 15 again

I have had phenergan on numerous occasions and certainly not for recreational purposes, although it certainly does act as a kind of sleeping agent.

To me Phenergan and recreational just dont go together.

Yeah i had no idea it was an OTC medicine either. Nurofen+ was a craze but this drug is what i think a much harder substance than codiene. A friend of mine said when when she was 14 had 300mg of the stuff and couldnt walk properly for 2 days!!! Promethazine is the active ingredient i think, which is in the same family of drugs as Thorazine. To me its a stronger sleeping drug than any benzo ive had so far!
:\
I have done searches but have not been able to find out any conclusive answers to my questions.....

1. What is a safe dosage range? for recreational purposes..
2. What are dangerous interactions?
3. how cool would mixing it with weed be?!!!!!

And i just must also say that from what ive read other people on bluelight say its similar to a strong benzo! not bad for an OTC!

It's an antihistamine, pretty much pure and simple. It's got an H1 receptor affinity between 2 and 150nM... and it gets to plasma concentration around 30nM...

It's got ONE paper reporting it's a 5-HT2 receptor antagonist with an affinity around 200nM... but without a repeat, I don't know if I believe it. But all the other receptors are way outside clinical plasma receptors.

Antihistamines aren't really recreational, i.e. diphenhydramine. But if you must, it try it at 75-100mg to start, but don't go to far, it'll start to be a potent dopamine receptor antagonist, and you'll get REALLY bad extrapyramidal side effects, i.e. you'l' start moving all fucked, and can be semi-permanent.

As far as interactions, they're not too bad. Don't take MDMA for the next couple of days.

That's about all I can think of.

hmm actually ive changed my thoughs on this. i had 125mg last night and a joint with it. and it just put me to sleep straight away! and ive just woken and have the worst headache ever!!! its an awesome sleeping aid but thats it!

I think the headache from it is usually due to dehydration after sleeping for so long and not consuming any fluids.

I didn't think antihistamines produced restful sleep.

The long time it knocks you out for would seem to me to be a downside in a lot of situations... you can't really have anything important to do the next day e.g.driving.

i suffer from bad hayfever and phenergan is about the only thing that helps. the problem is, within a couple of hours of dosing i fall asleep, for 12 or so hours. so i can only take it at night.

a couple of my friends use it to get to sleep after taking ecstasy, is it safe to do?

There is a reason why this stuff is OTC, because it's so horrible that few people would abuse it.

The phenothiazines are more commonly known as the old anti-psychotic drugs like Largactil (chlorpromazine), Mellaril (thioridazine), Stelazine (trifluoperazine). These drugs knock you out, but in a zombie, fucked up bad way. Not at all pleasant. Phenothiazines are also quite dangerous in overdosage.

Phenergan (promethazine) is a very useful drug, it being a potent anti-histamine, but that's it, sorry to dissapoint.

I hate the stuff.

I used to take it for an allergy to mosquito bites when I lived in a mosquito prone area. I hated the out-of-it way I used to feel as I tried to go to sleep, and used to start panicking. I used to honestly feel like I was drifting down a big dark hole on my way to nothingness.

I was recommended it once by the doctor for another skin irritation I had, and I refused to take it.