• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Blanket smoking ban in bars, clubs, and pubs in England from 2007

Skyline_GTR

Bluelight Crew
MPs have voted by huge margins to ban smoking from all pubs and private members' clubs in England.

Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the change, expected to take effect in summer 2007, would "save thousands of people's lives".

Ministers gave a free vote amid fears Labour MPs could rebel against plans to exempt clubs and pubs not serving food.

The Commons decided by a margin of 328 to ban smoking from all pubs. It then voted by 200 to extend this to clubs.

The Cabinet had been split on how far restrictions - set out in the Health Bill - should go, with Conservatives calling government policy a "shambles".

'Historic day''

Smoking is already to be banned in pubs and clubs in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

The Health Bill gives the Welsh Assembly the right to decide for itself whether to implement a ban it has already twice approved in principle.

Ms Hewitt, who voted for a total ban for England, told the BBC: "I'm absolutely delighted. This is really a historic day for public health."

She added: "This is going to save thousands of people's lives."

Prime Minister Tony Blair, Chancellor Gordon Brown and Home Secretary Charles Clarke all voted for a blanket ban.

But Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott, Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell, Defence Secretary John Reid and Education Secretary Ruth Kelly opposed it.

'Illiberal'

Elspeth Lee, of Cancer Research UK, said: "This is really going to affect generations to come and make the nation a lot healthier."

However, Simon Clark, director of smoking support group Forest, said: "This is a double whammy and an unnecessary and illiberal piece of legislation that denies freedom of choice to millions of people.

"The Government should educate people about the health risks of smoking but politicians have no right to force people to quit by making it more difficult for people to consume a legal product."

Earlier, health minister Caroline Flint said fines for failing to stop people smoking in restricted areas would go up by more than ten times from £200 to £2,500.

She said: "I am confident that these increased fine levels will result in better compliance with smoke-free legislation, which of course, will make enforcement easier."

The Cabinet originally proposed prohibiting smoking only in pubs serving food, in line with Labour's election manifesto.

A free vote was offered after many Labour MPs, fearing a partial ban could increase health inequalities among customers and staff, threatened to rebel.

Ministers came up with three choices: a total ban; exempting private clubs; or exempting clubs and pubs not serving food.

Many MPs opposed a smoking ban on civil liberties grounds.

'Good news'

The government predicts an estimated 600,000 people will give up smoking as a result of the law change.

Conservative MPs were offered a free vote on the issue.

Shadow health secretary Andrew Lansley said ministers had "put forward proposals which their own backbenchers thought were completely unworkable".

But it was "a very important step", he added there "had to be a culture that encourages better health".

Liberal Democrat health spokesman Steve Webb said: "This legislation is good news for tens of thousands of bar staff up and down the country.

"The key issue has always been the health and safety of people who work in public places."

Tory leader David Cameron missed the vote following the birth of his third child, a son, earlier on Tuesday.

In a recent report, the Commons health select committee said a total ban was the "only effective means" of protecting public health.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Smoking ban in all pubs and clubs

BBC News
14 February 2006

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4709258.stm

The government predicts an estimated 600,000 people will give up smoking as a result of the law change.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Give up smoking because you can't smoke at your favorite pub? I have yet to see any type of statistics (and you bet they would put them all over the news, if they had them) showing this kind of decline in smoking in the US, where this has already happened in several cities in several states.

Alf said:
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Give up smoking because you can't smoke at your favorite pub?

I know someone expecting to do that. She smokes very little anyway, and only when she's in the pub.

This ban has just been introduced in my home town and although no one smokes inside anymore, there's massive amount s of people out on the streets outside pubs and clubs having a burner. Not much fun for bouncers i can tell you that.

Now you guys can finally experience what it's like to live in California

KissTheSky said:
I know someone expecting to do that. She smokes very little anyway, and only when she's in the pub.

If she smokes very little anyway, than she's not really at risk of tobacco-related disease.

Sounds good to me.
I'm a regular smoker and remember when smoking on flights, buses, taxis, at work, cafes, restaurants, even in the hospital was permitted and it doesn't take long to adjust and there are health benefits as I certainly smoke less now ... it'll be the same in the boozer I'll smoke less ... in winter anyway ;)

Clubs of course is a far more problematic situation though.

Smokers' emotional reaction to ban

14 February 2006
By Lucy Wilkins
BBC News

Smokers can get quite emotional about their precious puffs.

When told that from next year they will no longer be able to enjoy a smoke in a pub, some shrieked in outrage.

"What? No way, they can't do that," said one woman in a smoky west London pub shortly after MPs voted for a blanket ban.

Her two friends, both with cigarettes in hand and fag ends in an ashtray, were also aghast.

"It's people's choice to smoke. What about people who just want to relax with a smoke and a drink?" said 20-year-old Freya Eden.

A smoker for five years, she said the ban would not encourage people to stop smoking.

"They won't give up, they'll just get ill standing out in the cold in the street."

Not only that, but there would be "more litter and more fights, it'll just move everything out onto the street".

Her friend was staunch in defence of her right to smoke in pubs: "I'm still going to do it, I don't care if I end up with a £1,000 fine."

As others enjoyed a Valentine's Day drink in another pub, the manager - a smoker - welcomed the ban.

The Australian said he might even give up himself as "it's too cold to go outside here".

Non-smoker Richard Driscoll, 30, enjoyed a swift pint with his pregnant partner, sitting near the vast opening that constitutes the entrance to a Weatherspoons pub.

"We're sitting near the door to get some fresh air," he said, although its debatable how fresh the air is on the upper floor of an air conditioned shopping centre.

"It's just a quick stop for us here tonight, but we do like coming to Weatherspoons because it's got smoke-free areas."

He said when he visits his parents in Ireland, where a smoking ban was introduced almost two years ago, "it's a real pleasure going into a pub".

But the Irish ban was not welcomed by all.

"That ban was the reason I left Ireland. If they introduce a ban here, I'll have to move somewhere else," said an Irish woman as she picked up her lighter.

"I want to smoke and drink at the same time. I don't want to eat and smoke, but when I finish a meal I immediately want to have a smoke.

Conspiracy?

"Why can't they have dining areas and smoking areas?" she asked before offering a shot of Sambuca.

Her friend, David, who described himself as a Mandinka warrior, felt the whole smoking ban was just a fabricated controversy, designed to deflect the real attention away from the Iraq war.

He became so animated in criticising the government and prime minister Tony Blair that he actually put down his unlit cigarette and lighter in order to gesture more forcefully.

Perhaps, in an unintentional way, the ban will make more people put down their cigarettes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4714410.stm

Hooray. Lets boot that evil drug from the planet. It's another step towards ciggarettes been taken off the shelves, permanantly. This is one drug with only negative effects and I, for one, applaud this movement.

And this is coming from a smoker of 6 years

I'd like to have this in Holland... I really hate how you have to wash your hair three times after a nights out.

About a year ago smoking was banned in my area and I didn't really care either way since I don't smoke (cigarettes). But I have to admit, its really nice going to a club now for a few hours then going home and still smelling clean! Instead of the next morning smelling your clothes on the floor and they just totally reek of concentrated stale cigarette smoke.

Plus, you know, can be beneficial; you used to not be able to leave a club once you were inside, without having to pay again, now they HAVE to let you out (to smoke). Last time me and my bf got hands stamped, ran out to the car, popped another pill, and came back in later.

I don't think a blanket ban is really the way to go. I believe they should still be allowed to have smoking bars or clubs; maybe they would just be the minority, rather than the majority. It should be great for non-smokers though.

DJAcetone said:
Now you guys can finally experience what it's like to live in California

This is a neutral statement, but if I had written it, I would have substituted the word "experience" for "enjoy." :)

Wizzle said:
I'd like to have this in Holland... I really hate how you have to wash your hair three times after a nights out.

id really like to have it in the USA, i don't go to establishments where smoking is allowed because i really dislike the smell.

Alf said:
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Give up smoking because you can't smoke at your favorite pub?

There has been a total smoking ban in bar, pubs, clubs and restaurants here in New Zealand for about three years. After some initial grumbling, everyone got used to it. There has been a big drop in cigarette sales and lot of people have given up - trying smoking outside a club in a short skirt and small top in the middle of winter!

The biggest complaint here now is there is no longer a fug of smoke masking the sweaty body odour, so B.O. is now the issue at 3.30am.

the seeker said:
id really like to have it in the USA, i don't go to establishments where smoking is allowed because i really dislike the smell.

The smell? I would personally be more worried about the maladies you could acquire from inhaling the smoke.

I suppose that's the problem with the debate on the freedom of smokers. Smokers want to be able to smoke where they please, but non-smokers shouldn't have to be forced to breathe the smoke wherever they go.

machiavelli: Decemeber 2004 wasn't 3 years ago!

A lot of pubs got around the issue opening up 'outside' smoking areas, which are fine in summer - even a nice change of scenery. In winter I'd imagine they are cold, but I didn't stick around that long.