• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Girls turning to crystal meth to lose weight

fruitfly

Bluelight Crew
OTTAWA -- Drug advocacy groups and police in Western Canada are noticing a disturbing new trend of teenage girls who use the drug crystal meth to lose weight -- up to 18 kilograms a month.

"We've got a recipe for disaster," says addiction counsellor Bob Hughes. "It's huge -- this combination of body image issues and the drug's weight loss appeal."

Crystal meth, the street version of the drug methamphetamine, is an addictive stimulant that causes elation and alertness in addition to curbing appetite.

Meth users can smoke, snort, inject or swallow the drug. They're usually ingesting a crude combination of cold medicine, brake cleaner, fertilizer, drain cleaner and iodine along with a myriad of other chemicals.

"Meth is an appetite suppressant," says Vancouver RCMP Corp. Scott Rintoul. "It's a drug that will give you stimulation for 12 hours, with no need to eat and no need to sleep."

It's also cheap -- between $5 to $10 per hit -- and has consequently been labelled the "poor man's cocaine."

But this time, teenage girls are using it.

"Young women know and find out quickly that there are drugs that do reduce your appetite and cause you to lose weight," says Rintoul. "And meth is so affordable."

Hughes, who helps run a crystal meth treatment program called Meth Kickers, in Kamloops, B.C., says he's seeing an increased number of teenage girls aged 12 to 18 come through his doors.

"You see these women who are 5-foot-4 and 95 pounds and they have such a distorted body image," he said.

According to the World Health Organization, methamphetamine is the most widely used illicit drug in the world after cannabis.

"We're in this era of stimulant drugs -- the need for speed," says Rintoul. "But when it comes to body image, we also have the need to be thin."

Methamphetamine has been around for decades. It was marketed in North America in the 1920s as a weight-loss drug.

"It was touted for its dietary benefits," says Hughes. "It's amazing that in the first place this drug was used was for weight loss."

Meth is relatively simple to make. There are thousands of recipes on the Internet and police estimate that an investment of about $150 can yield an amount worth about $10,000 on the street.

But it also has lethal side effects. Meth use can cause insomnia, hallucinations, paranoia and anxiety as well as heart problems, convulsion, brain damage and death.

Hughes presently has seven young people in his Meth Kickers treatment program. All are female and two have eating disorders.

The six-week outpatient program, which is just under a year old, has been touted as unconventional. That's because patients are allowed to smoke marijuana while trying to kick the meth habit.

"It's a harm reduction program," says Hughes. "And some people are more comfortable with that than others."

Across the country, there are unclear statistics of how many girls use crystal meth to lose weight. But one thing that both police and drug advocacy groups agree on is that the drug is spreading from west to east.

"We can see the tornado coming," says Zenon Lisakowski, a prevention and education consultant with the Addictions Foundation of Manitoba. "But what is interesting is that we have the ability to put preventative measures in place."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Girls turn to drug to lose weight
Katie Lewis, For CanWest News Service
Published: Saturday, February 11, 2006

Link

Am I surprised or Shocked ? - NO

Am I sad that girls would resort to this as result of pressure to achieve the ideal 'model' body image at any cost ? - YES

:(

Our society really gives girls a complete mindfuck if you ask me....it's pretty fucked up.

lol i like the title "Meth Kickers", get the girls off the meth and onto the pot, theyll get the weight back from the munchies.

adderall is perfect for the college girl - their slogan should be "study hard and get thin at the same time"

lose weight they will......but theyll also turn butt-ugly from pallour and skin sores
and then wen they kick it theyll put on even more weight
if theyre anything like my mates and i
shitty meth
still 5-10$????
jeez its no cheap shit over HERE for pure crystal! ive been cheated..... :(

Sure

"We can see the tornado coming," says Zenon Lisakowski, a prevention and education consultant with the Addictions Foundation of Manitoba. "But what is interesting is that we have the ability to put preventative measures in place."

That's a joke, right? :p

Helping Ethanolics Cope - HEC - is proud to present a revised article:

Drug advocacy groups and police in Columbus, Ohio are noticing a disturbing new trend of teenage girls who use the drug ethyl alcohol to induce vomiting -- up to 10 nights a month.

"Ethyl Alcohol is a depressant," says Vancouver RCMP Corp. Scott Rintoul. "It's a drug that will gives you a few hours of lowered inhibitions followed by a substantial depressive effect, often resulting in unconsciousness."

It's also dirt cheap -- between $3 to $5 per shot -- and has consequently been labelled the "poor man's Valium."

"We can see the hurricane of Russian Roofy on the horizon," says Zara Kegs.

For those who don't know, Russian Roofy is an insidious drinking game invented during the tv sitcom Charles in Charge, guaranteed to cause sex and lawsuits. Filling 2 octobongs (a beer bong with eight tubes) with cheap Natural Light for 16 people, the Russian Roofy official stands on a chair and sprinkles two extra-strength Roofies into each octobong. Repeat four times, turn on rap, and don't forget to put blankets and green down pillows on the floor.

The mayor formed our group, HEC, after discovering his deeply slumbering naked stepdaughter Sarah on his porch in the morning. Shit, are you still enscribing?

Eddy, I agree, Vitamin A should be handed out with bottled water and condoms at all Mormon colleges. charlie horse, what's better about meth?...and in all seriousness, Crazee summed it up the best- not shocking, just a saddening reflection.

OTTAWA -- Drug advocacy groups and police in Western Canada are noticing a disturbing new trend of teenage girls who use the drug crystal meth to lose weight -- up to 18 kilograms a month.
so let's make an article boldly stating in the title and the first two sentences "you can loose 18kg a month if you use meth!"

should i be worried that my girlfriend who has a history of eating disorders and a very distorted body image is very keen to try meth ?

And in other news: The sky is still blue and water is wet... details at 11.

qwe said:
so let's make an article boldly stating in the title and the first two sentences "you can loose 18kg a month if you use meth!"

Yes thank you, I was thinking exactly the same thing :\

Based on the rest of the article, I think what the author meant is that the girls are losing weight by using up to 18kg of meth, per month, each.

wow....well it doesnt surprise me that teenage girls have turned to meth to loose weight...but then again
charlie horse said:
It makes me sad that they choose meth instead of coke. :(
i agree with charlie =D

Is it me or does our current state, as a society, really suck balls right now. It seems like a vast majority of people are utterly infatuated with the rich and idiotic (e.g. Paris Hilton.) The way the media portrays people like Paris as something of a role model is utterly trite and disgusting. This is doing serious harm to the young and impresionable in more ways than I can imagine. This crystal meth story is a shining example of this way of thinking in western society and needs to stop. Let us go back to a time when the Rosanne Bar show was number one and people worried more about how to treat one another than what kind of hand bag is "hot".

I actually first started doin meth to lose weight ... i know a lame excuse, but that is why i first tried it. after the first time though, i had many other motives for wanting to continue using.

I know of a few bodybuilders who use speed to help with the cutting cycles.