Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Drug running goes mobile

E-llusion

Bluelight Crew
Drug running goes mobile

Feb 13/06

Pinaki Roy

ICT has proved a boon even for drug peddlers. A drug addict no longer needs to risk the hazards of going to drug dens to buy the stuff. One now simply calls a certain cellphone number, places the order, fixes a rendezvous and within a short while gets his daily dose delivered there. If one wants, he or she can get home delivery too. All is done in a neat, inconspicuous way, hard for law enforcers to detect.

Phensedyl is now available on mobile-phone order in the city's Dhanmondi, Mohammadpur, Kalyanpur, Jatrabari, Gulshan, Uttara and Old Dhaka. In posh city areas like Dhanmondi, Gulshan, Banani, Baridhara and Uttara, drug abusers can buy Phensedyl, Yaba, Ecstasy, cocaine or any injecting drug from cellphone peddlers. Pool halls, snooker clubs and cyber cafes, where upper-class youths gather most, are among the most common delivery places, especially of Yaba tablets that mainly come from Thailand and Myanmar.

"Once Shahinbagh near Mohakhali was the hub of Yaba peddling. But, now you do not need to know the spot or go there, they will deliver you Yaba if you just phone them," said an addict, who used to take the pill quite often. "You also can buy the tablet from a few spots in Dhanmondi, Mohammadpur Geneva Camp and Agargaon for Tk 200 to Tk 300," he added.

Last Thursday evening a mobile-phone peddler was seen in Dhanmondi delivering three bottles of Phensedyl carried in his socks. He came from Kalyanpur to deliver the bottles, a Phensedyl addict said, adding the usual price is Tk 350 a bottle.

Officials of the Department of Narcotics Control (DNC), the police, Detective Branch and Rapid Action Battalion claimed drug running in the city has reduced much after they made away with the notorious drug spots. But this correspondent visited and found more than 10 drug dens running smoothly, in some cases even in presence of the police.

"Law enforcers have destroyed most of the notorious drug spots in the city. Now they [drug lords] have become extra-careful and most of the peddlers have gone mobile," said DNC Deputy Director M Saiful Islam.

But, sources concerned said law enforcers raid drug dens only occasionally, while some drug pushers alleged they raid the dens when they do not get their 'regular kickbacks'.

"The police really don't want to do away with the drug dens as drug dealing is a big source of income for them. So, when they raid they nab the addicts not the traders," said a DNC high official, adding, "For us, we sincerely want to curb the trade but we don't have enough manpower."

Heroin and injecting drugs are available at Chankhar Pool, Khilkhet, Agargaon, Mirpur sections I and II, Mohammadpur, Jatrabari and Doyaganj. Apart from a number of drug dens in Old Dhaka, at least 20 other spots along the railway track from Doyaganj to Airport Railway Station are running smoothly.

Several drug addicts said, and visiting a number of well-known drug spots it was confirmed, drug abusers face no obstacle in collecting any sort of drug, whether it be cheap cannabis or a costly injection.

"You can get anything if you have money," said Islam Uddin, an Injecting Drug User of Old Dhaka. "I've been taking drugs for the last 14 years. I started with Phensedyl, and then shifted to heroin and for the last five years I have been taking injections. But, I never had much trouble in buying the drugs," he added.

TK 6,000CR BUSINESS
Sources said the country's drug business would amount to no less than Tk 6,000 crore.

According to the National Assessment of Situation and Responses to Opiate Use in Bangladesh, drugs are being smuggled from India across the border into at least 24 districts and from Myanmar into Bandarban and Cox's Bazar.

"Smuggling routes of heroin powder, Phensedyl syrup and buprenorphine injections exist between West Bengal and Bangladesh," the report of the latest joint survey conducted by government and non-government agencies says. "Construction of bridges and national highways has facilitated drug trafficking within the country after they get smuggled in," the report adds.

Almost 90 percent of the opiates in the world are produced in the Golden Triangle comprising Laos, Thailand and Myanmar and the Golden Crescent comprising Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan, sources said. As Bangladesh is located between these two opiate-producing zones, it has become an easily accessible market for opiates, they said.

"Drugs are now available everywhere -- in all the districts and upazilas, and even in many villages," said DNC Director (Control) Mofazzal Hossain.

"Huge money is involved in the drug trade. Once someone enters this business he never stops until his death," he said, adding, "So it's virtually impossible to completely rout the trade, but it's possible to control it and we're trying to do that."

http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/02/14/d6021401055.htm

if you are fortunate to take it a single time, you will know, it is not just a cough medicine, rather its a heaven. i love this stuff...

stoy420 said:
if only it was that easy

thats pretty much how it works here ( montreal ) ... one guy even went berzek on me because i called in the number instead of sending a text message.

Are phones just being introduced there? People have been using phones to get drugs forever...

Hell, that's what Alexander Graham Bell's first phone call was all about.

Phensedyl is OTC right? Or could someone enlighten us on India's pharmacy system. I can't believe something with codeine and ephedrine together could be difficult to procure, in many countries it would be sold without prescription.

matthewfoo said:
Hmmm considering India is world class when it comes to IT , it can be ironic, or your ignorance?
It was a joke.

Are you trying to tell me drug dealers use cell phones, no way! Kids have cellphones OMG THINK OF THE CHILDRENS!!!8) 1!! Maybe small baggies aren't what we should be trying to make illegal, its the cell phones.

The media ran out of "news" a long time ago. :!

Funny how long it takes for media and cops to catch up with whats going on in the drug world. In NZ delivery has been pretty widespread(atleast in my city) for the last few years. I have known a couple of dealers who did it. Its run almost like a postal service would be for a florist or chinese restaurant, you ring up, place your order, pay by CC, online, wire it, put on a tab, or pay on delivery, then the dealer pays the driver to deliver it with cash or bud plus pays gas top ups. This is usually done in runs of a few people at a time not per order, it saves gas and makes it easier. Its a real well thought out system that some people have going. Ive used it a couple of times and its such an easy and simple way to buy. If you know the driver you can usually get a lift to places too.

matthewfoo said:
Well in most parts of Asia, what is easily OTC in the west is usually not easily obtainable, unless one has connections with the black market. eg in Singapore, phensedy is very rarely prescribed due to the high codiene content, and alot of heroin abusers use that to mask the urine test, where in most cases, the machine is only able to breakdown morphine content. but there's still a risk tho. eg in the vast contrast of drug laws, some states in the US of A convict a coke dealer to 2 years with a chance of paroll? well here in Sg, its 5 years 5 strokes minimum and up to 10G fine. thats if the dealer's urine is clear, if not typically 7 years 7 strokes. Do a brief check up on the intensity of the strokes, saw an ex inmate(molest charge, kick the shit out of him) a stroke is at least half an inch deep gash in the buttok.:) back to topic, pehsedyl is an exellent chill out syrup.

wtf generalising about legal/illegal drugs in the whole continent of asia :p

singapore is very different from India like comon, anyway in India from experience you can walk into a pharmacy and buy almost anything if you have the money and they have the stock, but that is a westener walking into the pharmacy (me) so I am unsure of the situation there if it was another Indian

Are you talking about weaker drugs (Codeine syrup, Diazepam, Tramadol, etc) or any pharm available (Morphine, Amphetamines, etc)?

phrozen said:
Are phones just being introduced there? People have been using phones to get drugs forever...

Hell, that's what Alexander Graham Bell's first phone call was all about.

this was the only way i bought drugs until I found crack/dope houses that sold bags of heroin for $5 cheaper a bag. But this article is retarded, it's not like no one has ever used the phone to buy drugs before.

a better article topic might be about people who use the talking feature on xbox 360 to sell drugs. which i find funny. I know one kid who the best way to get a hold of him is on xbox. :)

a better article topic might be about people who use the talking feature on xbox 360 to sell drugs. which i find funny. I know one kid who the best way to get a hold of him is on xbox.
Wow, lol. I wonder how common that is?

I seem to recall texting my dealer and having the drugs delivered by Pony Express.

This is old news, baby...

I don't get it?

This is always how I've done it, txt dealer and it's delivered.

As for the XBOX thing, yeah people have tried selling me drugs over XBOX live before.