• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

tambourine-man

Bluelight Crew
20m.gif

I got this on DVD a couple of years ago in some 3 for a tenner sale. Anyway, every time I watch it, it just absorbs me for two hours.

For anyone who's unfamilar with the premise of the film, it concerns a liberal politician who's become disillusioned with his life, his marriage, his political career and, most of all, himself. In a fit of suicidal despair, he secretly hires a hitman to kill himself, but finds that, paradoxically, his impending demise offers him a freedom and honesty that re-ignites his humanity.

The result is not a reinvigorated politician "telling it like it is" - but a sleep-deprived and exhausted shell of a man, slowly becoming unhinged as he abandons a lifetime of two-facedness, clattering through his epiphony and towards the restoration of his dignity.

Personally, I think it's a great film. Brilliant cast, brilliant story.

I've always wondered though, whether Bulworth did have his epiphony, or if it was a mere transient breakdown?

Did he come out of the other side of his episode, forget all he had experienced, put on his politician-issue suit again, and just become a slightly smarter corporate servant? I like to think that he didn't.

I like to think that his breakdown, his change of clothes and demeanour were merely the shape of the 'cocoon' where his transition took place, that despite his suit-wearing, crowd-waving average-politico antics at the end of the film, he had fundamentally changed inside and that his message would continue in another, non-rapping, non-fried-chicken-eating form.

Opinions?

Add poll please. TIA

I love this movie. It was just all around good entertainment. And it never toyed arround with its message. I appreciate when a film doesn't just merely mention the message for the sake of appeasement.

"How's a man supposed to meet his financial responsibilities working at mother fucking Burger King? He Ain't!"

I haven't seen this since 1999, but I enjoyed it then, there are still a few scenes I remember.

Good movie. I liked it. One of my favorite lines:

"Everybody should just keep fucking everybody else until we're all the same color."

Amen, brotha.

Wow--I'd actually been waiting for someone to make a post about this movie...

I gave it three stars.

Truth be told, I liked the movie from the first time I saw it. It's a great premise, and Beatty's performance is a riot. :D However, I feel that halfway through the pic it moves largely away from political satire, and starts using seemingly every black stereotype in the book to get its message across. It could have been much better. That said, I still like it, and will watch it if I happen to come across it channel surfing.

a great movie. i got it for $5 bucks awhile ago. my friend worked at a new/used cd store, and i always asked him to get if for me if it ever came in, and it finally did, like a year later. i could watch it over and over.

I haven't seen this flick for a long time but I vaguely remember the film hinting that the politician guy had been 'possessed' or something by the spirit of a mysterious old black guy who is lingering around at the time of his 'epiphany'... Am I imagining things or is this a possible explanation for the dramatic change in behaviour?

lol when i saw the title of the thread I immediately thought of Raging Bull 8( =D
This sounds good I'll be sure to watch it in the near future!

I loved it in the theatre ages ago. Thanks for the reminder. It's been too long.

searching....

*=Regulator=* said:
I haven't seen this flick for a long time but I vaguely remember the film hinting that the politician guy had been 'possessed' or something by the spirit of a mysterious old black guy who is lingering around at the time of his 'epiphany'... Am I imagining things or is this a possible explanation for the dramatic change in behaviour?
Shit... yeah. I completely forgot about that aspect.

I suppose that could be an explaination, but I always saw that as a symbolic mental projection from Bulworth (as his screws become ever more loose).

scored.
loved it again.

ahh... back in the day when halle still looked good.

I saw this movie about a year ago - gave it three stars as it felt unreal in some places but as it has already been mentioned was engrossing throughout, the best part was when bulworth was interviewed on the telly, that part makes the message hit home most. Well worth seeing, and seeing again.